**Official 2018 Iowa Football Season Thread**

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
If hooker stays I want him right where he was. Guy makes plays. Last thing I want to do is move him further from the ball.

Reaction score
If hooker stays I want him right where he was. Guy makes plays. Last thing I want to do is move him further from the ball.
Not having a bad safety is more important to me than having Hooker at the star position. Hopefully Hooker is back and one of Craddieth/Merriweather are ready for the safety spot opposite Stone. One of those two needs to step up for your scenario to work.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Not having a bad safety is more important to me than having Hooker at the star position. Hopefully Hooker is back and one of Craddieth/Merriweather are ready for the safety spot opposite Stone. One of those two needs to step up for your scenario to work.
Finding at least an average safety on the roster is pretty high on first glance so leave Amani where he is.

Unless we are talking Tanner Miller I see no reason to move hooker back there full time.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
That one actually did make me laugh

Reaction score
It isn't likely that a rookie would be there for game one, but Castro and Belton appear to be 100% football players in the Hooker-Stone mold.

Bob

Reaction score
Linderbaum apparently moved to center, which is interesting and not something I'm sure I like. He seemed like he could eventually be a really good DT and that's something they've been missing the last couple years.

Reaction score
Linderbaum apparently moved to center, which is interesting and not something I'm sure I like. He seemed like he could eventually be a really good DT and that's something they've been missing the last couple years.
From some of the pics posted online it appears that Levi Duwa moved back to the defensive side of the ball. He had been working at center.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
So Duwa and Linderbaum essentially swapped places. I think Linderbaum will do well wherever he plays. Interesting that Duwa is moved now when Iowa's center is about to play his last game.

Still think the guy at the spot next year is Banwart

Bob

Reaction score
Agreed on Banwart next year and that Linderbaum will probably be a really good center eventually, I was just really excited about his potential at DT. We've struggled to find a great true DT since Jaleel graduated, and I'm not sure I see any others on the current roster.

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
Agreed on Banwart next year and that Linderbaum will probably be a really good center eventually, I was just really excited about his potential at DT. We've struggled to find a great true DT since Jaleel graduated, and I'm not sure I see any others on the current roster.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Did we sign some strapping young black men this year? This is all I care about.

Bob

Reaction score
Hopefully he doesn't get Title IXed.
I don't think it's Title IX's fault if he winds up academically ineligible

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score

Bob

Reaction score
It is also not Title IX's fault if he assaulted someone

Reaction score
This comes down to whether its really the intent for things that aren't prosecutable under real courts should then be turn into extrajudicial proceedings by the Universities themselves under different standards.

Reaction score
Craddeith seems like he'd fit the Star spot a lot better than Johnson. I think they move Ojemudia to either star or safety and Johnson is the third or fourth corner. Phil talked him up a lot once he was healthy.

Merriweather seems like a guy they recruited specifically to play Star (if I watched his high school tape without knowing his position I'd have assumed he was a linebacker recruit), but Ojemudia would be a good one year stopgap. He's huge for a corner and already plays much more like an undersized linebacker than a corner. It'd let Hooker move back to safety full time too, and while he was really good in the hybrid role this year he's also still probably the best safety on the roster.
I only put Johnson there because he's a bigger CB whose HS tape suggests that he is a physical tackler and he may be stuck behind Hankins/Brents/etc at CB for now. Purely a wild guess on my part.
Sometimes wild guesses get close. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I don’t think the Star/Hybrid approach is particularly groundbreaking but with the direction the NFL has gone in the passing game it will only enhance Iowa’s reputation for producing versatile defensive backs.

ThunderheadWilly

30 minute wait
Reaction score

I feel like Nate is more of a "natural" in the helmet than Hooker...

Last edited:

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Craddeith seems like he'd fit the Star spot a lot better than Johnson. I think they move Ojemudia to either star or safety and Johnson is the third or fourth corner. Phil talked him up a lot once he was healthy.

Merriweather seems like a guy they recruited specifically to play Star (if I watched his high school tape without knowing his position I'd have assumed he was a linebacker recruit), but Ojemudia would be a good one year stopgap. He's huge for a corner and already plays much more like an undersized linebacker than a corner. It'd let Hooker move back to safety full time too, and while he was really good in the hybrid role this year he's also still probably the best safety on the roster.
I only put Johnson there because he's a bigger CB whose HS tape suggests that he is a physical tackler and he may be stuck behind Hankins/Brents/etc at CB for now. Purely a wild guess on my part.

Hearing he’s headed pro

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score

Hearing he’s headed pro
Yeah, I think it's a safe bet at this point that Hooker and Hock are 100% gone. Nelson is the lone question mark.

2019 could go down as one of the great what-if seasons in Iowa history.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I can’t imagine Hooker going all that high. Maybe he figures his stock won’t ever be higher

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
If Nelson stays I think they are fine overall. Iowa will have multiple good TE's and Parker is pretty good at replacing guys and likely haven't had more talent back there than they have in a long time.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
I can’t imagine Hooker going all that high. Maybe he figures his stock won’t ever be higher
If your stock isn't really all that high, wouldn't it make more sense to focus on development and take more of the track that King took. Granted, King probably should have done what Hooker is doing- but much more accomplished.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score