**Official 2019 Iowa Football Season Thread**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
We all give Greg Davis shit and it is well deserved, but the one thing he absolutely deserves credit for is he without a single doubt wanted Beathard to be the starting quarterback after the Pitt game in 2014 going forward. Beathard had a rough start to the Purdue game, but he recovered and they won. Kirk went out of his way to not only not give Beathard any credit, but actually talked down about him following those games.

The bye week was the following week and the coordinators always have a press conference and Greg Davis was very clear he preferred Beathard. Kirk overruled him and put Rudock back in as the starter against Indiana. They blew them out because they sucked and Rudock was locked in the rest of the year despite it being clear he wasn't anywhere close to as good as Beathard.

Greg Davis knew who was better. He was proven right with a 12-0 regular season in 2015.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Fun season. A bounce here of there and they would have been in Indy. Future looks bright.

Reaction score
10 wins should always be celebrated. The one downside to the divisions and championship...
For most of our lifetimes this would just be looked at as a 10 win year with wins over almost all of our rivals and a bowl win over a historic program and a huge success. Vast majority will look at it positively but in general I wonder how the "missed opportunity" to win the division clouds this compared to 2003 or a similar season.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Fun season. A bounce here of there and they would have been in Indy. Future looks bright.
As with most things in life, that’s how it usually works out. Everyone likes quick fixes and shiny objects, but consistency and commitment is typical a good road to success.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
10 wins should always be celebrated. The one downside to the divisions and championship...
For most of our lifetimes this would just be looked at as a 10 win year with wins over almost all of our rivals and a bowl win over a historic program and a huge success. Vast majority will look at it positively but in general I wonder how the "missed opportunity" to win the division clouds this compared to 2003 or a similar season.
The only time you don't have missed opportunities and what if's are an undefeated season. Iowa's best three teams of the last 60 years have had missed opportunities.

In 2003, Iowa would have won the west (under current setup) and faced Michigan again.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
We all give Greg Davis shit and it is well deserved, but the one thing he absolutely deserves credit for is he without a single doubt wanted Beathard to be the starting quarterback after the Pitt game in 2014 going forward. Beathard had a rough start to the Purdue game, but he recovered and they won. Kirk went out of his way to not only not give Beathard any credit, but actually talked down about him following those games.

The bye week was the following week and the coordinators always have a press conference and Greg Davis was very clear he preferred Beathard. Kirk overruled him and put Rudock back in as the starter against Indiana. They blew them out because they sucked and Rudock was locked in the rest of the year despite it being clear he wasn't anywhere close to as good as Beathard.

Greg Davis knew who was better. He was proven right with a 12-0 regular season in 2015.
Fuck Greg Davis forever and always.

douglasbader

Reaction score

Fuck Greg Davis forever and always.

howler

Totally Not a Spartan Fan
Reaction score
1.) There's never been a better time to be a Hawkeye football fan, and I'm not referring to just wins and losses.

2.) Best postgame thread title by a Trojan fan on the USC board last night: "Air Raid is for pussies"

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
1.) There's never been a better time to be a Hawkeye football fan, and I'm not referring to just wins and losses.

2.) Best postgame thread title by a Trojan fan on the USC board last night: "Air Raid is for pussies"
Didn’t Kirk say last night it is best wins/losses stretch in school history?

gable_guy

Reaction score

Didn’t Kirk say last night it is best wins/losses stretch in school history?
Yeah. Best 5 year stretch. But the 12 games obviously help that.

douglasbader

Reaction score
We mentioned it a few times, but crazy how closely 2019 mirrored 2003 right down to finishing 10-3 by kicking the shit out of a ranked blue chip program in the bowl game.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
We mentioned it a few times, but crazy how closely 2019 mirrored 2003 right down to finishing 10-3 by kicking the shit out of a ranked blue chip program in the bowl game.
That day was fuckin bananas. Didn’t end until the next morning.

What 16 years will do to your game day.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I would twist my back and be bedridden for a week

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
At best I would only bang my head against the oven

douglasbader

Reaction score
My Dad during the bowl game (and multiple times this year).... "I wonder what would happen if they ran a QB sneak for an entire drive. I bet they would march down the field and score."

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
My Dad during the bowl game (and multiple times this year).... "I wonder what would happen if they ran a QB sneak for an entire drive. I bet they would march down the field and score."
I remember thinking that I wanted them to try it. Especially vs Iowa state or Nebrantska.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
I know Petras is as tall as NS, but where’s he at in the weight category? Having a large tight end as a QB that can squat a VW was impressive.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I know Petras is as tall as NS, but where’s he at in the weight category? Having a large tight end as a QB that can squat a VW was impressive.
Stanley listed as 6'4'' and 243 lbs. He was listed as 6'4'' and 212 pounds when he first got to Iowa.

Petras listed as 6'5'' and 230 lbs. He was listed as 6'5'' and 227 pounds when he first got to Iowa.

I'm going to guess that Petras will be up to 235+ next year. I think he is as big as Stanley was at the same point.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Either the first or second series Iowa was around the USC 6 and Fox had the camera behind Stanley. USC has wide splits up front and neither defensive tackle was near Linderbaum. USC also had their linebackers out of the screen. I was screaming for them to just sneak it. He may have scored standing up.

Bob

Reaction score
Petras seems like pretty much a Stanley clone physically. Same size and by all accounts has the same sort of arm strength. Hopefully he's a little more consistent with his accuracy.

Personally I really liked what I saw from Padilla in the open practices but that's a pretty tiny sample. Seems like Petras is their guy so between that and Hogan coming in he'll probably transfer in a year or two.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Petras seems like pretty much a Stanley clone physically. Same size and by all accounts has the same sort of arm strength. Hopefully he's a little more consistent with his accuracy.

Personally I really liked what I saw from Padilla in the open practices but that's a pretty tiny sample. Seems like Petras is their guy so between that and Hogan coming in he'll probably transfer in a year or two.
The QB situation going into 2020 seems pretty likely to be the following.....

- There will be competition in the spring that Petras will end up being the obvious starter

- Mansel will graduate and transfer to a school in Texas to be closer to his Baylor softball playing wife

- Hogan will get here in the summer and will compete. He likely redshirts but if he is clearly better than Padilla they will be willing to burn his redshirt if they need him. Padilla and Hogan will both likely get a mop up series with Hogan getting no more than 4 games unless he is the backup and is needed if Petras sucks or gets hurt.

As pointed out by Dochterman and on here, Iowa has only lost 1 starting QB game to injury this decade. They have only lost 5 starting QB games in Ferentz's entire tenure to injury. There has only been 2 QB controversies at Iowa in the last 15 years (Stanzi/Christensen and Rudock/Beathard). That is a pretty remarkable run of good fortune. If this is the year that the projected starter isn't as good as hoped or gets injured, at least they will have a couple of high quality guys to back them up.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score

The QB situation going into 2020 seems pretty likely to be the following.....

- There will be competition in the spring that Petras will end up being the obvious starter

- Mansel will graduate and transfer to a school in Texas to be closer to his Baylor softball playing wife

- Hogan will get here in the summer and will compete. He likely redshirts but if he is clearly better than Padilla they will be willing to burn his redshirt if they need him. Padilla and Hogan will both likely get a mop up series with Hogan getting no more than 4 games unless he is the backup and is needed if Petras sucks or gets hurt.

As pointed out by Dochterman and on here, Iowa has only lost 1 starting QB game to injury this decade. They have only lost 5 starting QB games in Ferentz's entire tenure to injury. There has only been 2 QB controversies at Iowa in the last 15 years (Stanzi/Christensen and Rudock/Beathard). That is a pretty remarkable run of good fortune. If this is the year that the projected starter isn't as good as hoped or gets injured, at least they will have a couple of high quality guys to back them up.
It seems like the QB recruiting has outpaced all other positions (per star rating).

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Actually petras might be a touch shorter and he has a lankier build. Nate is a tank. Spencer isn’t fast or anything but he just moves better.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
Either the first or second series Iowa was around the USC 6 and Fox had the camera behind Stanley. USC has wide splits up front and neither defensive tackle was near Linderbaum. USC also had their linebackers out of the screen. I was screaming for them to just sneak it. He may have scored standing up.
Guess they didn’t hear your screaming. Try to be louder next time.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Stanley has the great misfortune of missing the era where QB’s were drafted by stupid metrics like who can throw a football through the goalposts on one knee from the 50, or who can break the most WR fingers

douglasbader

Reaction score
They really should have tried an entire drive, or at least made it appear that they would, of QB sneaks against someone like Nebrantska or USC.

No team would expect it, so you are guaranteed that you would get a couple first downs. By the 6th or 7th time they would be forced to sell out and then bam hit them with a PA fake to the FB and hit the TE deep on that play Stanley fucked up against Penn State.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
They really should have tried an entire drive, or at least made it appear that they would, of QB sneaks against someone like Nebrantska or USC.

No team would expect it, so you are guaranteed that you would get a couple first downs. By the 6th or 7th time they would be forced to sell out and then bam hit them with a PA fake to the FB and hit the TE deep on that play Stanley fucked up against Penn State.

Still too soon Douglas

douglasbader

Reaction score
Stanley has the great misfortune of missing the era where QB’s were drafted by stupid metrics like who can throw a football through the goalposts on one knee from the 50, or who can break the most WR fingers
I know most everyone has sort of written Stanley off (including me a lot of times), but I still think once he gets free of Iowa and starts his NFL Combine and Pro Day testing that he is going to shoot a lot higher up draft boards and someone might take him way earlier than expected.

He's huge, he has a cannon for an arm, he actually throws a ton of beautiful and accurate passes and he has a lot of good intangibles. Stanley has also played really well in shotgun with the field spread.

There are only 5 teams in the NFL that take more snaps under center than from the shotgun. There are plenty that do a mix of both. He would fit that model really well.

Maybe he will always be too inaccurate and too much of a pants shitter, but he is a smart hard working kid that might end up being a solid starting NFL QB.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
I know most everyone has sort of written Stanley off (including me a lot of times), but I still think once he gets free of Iowa and starts his NFL Combine and Pro Day testing that he is going to shoot a lot higher up draft boards and someone might take him way earlier than expected.

He's huge, he has a cannon for an arm, he actually throws a ton of beautiful and accurate passes and he has a lot of good intangibles. Stanley has also played really well in shotgun with the field spread.

There are only 5 teams in the NFL that take more snaps under center than from the shotgun. There are plenty that do a mix of both. He would fit that model really well.

Maybe he will always be too inaccurate and too much of a pants shitter, but he is a smart hard working kid that might end up being a solid starting NFL QB.
Not to go cliche but he is a shorter Big Ben. He stays way too fuckin long in the pocket, absorbs a ton of pressure and never gets rattled. You could drop a bomb with a 30 second timer in his lap and he’d be like “you guys wanna grab some pancakes after this?”

He’s a much bigger Jay Cutler.

douglasbader

Reaction score

Not to go cliche but he is a shorter Big Ben. He stays way too fuckin long in the pocket, absorbs a ton of pressure and never gets rattled. You could drop a bomb with a 30 second timer in his lap and he’d be like “you guys wanna grab some pancakes after this?”
I think he is a much better NFL prospect than Beathard.

Anyone looked at Stanley's final stats? He had nearly an identical year to last year with almost the same completions, attempts and yards. Somehow he ended up with 10 less touchdowns and 3 less interceptions. I think it sort of shows the trouble they had getting into the endzone was really fluky.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/nathan-stanley-2.html

douglasbader

Reaction score
Actually, now that I remember, the lack of touchdowns this year and struggles from the 30 yard line on in are easily explainable.

That is what happens I guess when you lose a pair of NFL 1st Round TE's to throw to in those situations.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I think you can also say in hindsight that of all the departures from the 2018 team, the one that would have made the biggest difference and likely would have gotten Iowa to 10 or 11 wins in the regular season and the won the West is Hockenson.

Losing both Nelson and Hooker barely mattered given they only gave up 10, 17 and 24 points in their 3 losses. Fant was sure to leave no matter what. Hockenson as a Sophomore leaving unexpectedly was the only real kick to the nuts.

Next year it obviously is going to be losing Epenesa, but they can likely absorb that better overall. Wirfs will suck to lose but they should be able to replace that position with a talented player.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score

They ran it 3 straight times against USC and by the 4th USC had their entire football team over the center.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score

I hope it’s not the Las Vegas Raiders.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score