**Official 2020 Iowa Football Season Thread**

fossilhawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The fat fuck who has been on the Quad City Times sports desk since I can remember, presumably because Lee Enterprises can't find anyone competent to replace him.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
Doxsie has to have been writing for the QC Times for at least 40 years now. Dude is old.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I’m not going to read the article, but let me guess...he’s really mad at someone in iowa City

Dolomitey

McCarthyist fuck
Reaction score
I’m not going to read the article, but let me guess...he’s really mad at someone in iowa City
I think he’s mad that the University oversold what was essentially an agreement to not get a raise as a benevolent paycut. Pretty sure it still counts as such in every meaningful way, but they did get a tiny bit more credit than they deserved, I guess

He bolsters his case that Iowa fucks up a lot with some of the well known AD issues and finishes with some ‘even Chuck Long gets it’.

Mostly he just wants to spend others peoples’ money on his AD preferences though.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
This is going to shock some people, but people that were making a lot of money before Covid are still going to make a lot of money.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
This is going to shock some people, but people that were making a lot of money before Covid are still going to make a lot of money.
I'm all good with coaches making a shitload of money, but with that said, if I was making the type of money the top guys like Kirk/Phil/Brian/KOK are making and knowing a few low level people on the video staff were going to get cut I might throw some money back into the pool to keep them.

Kirk could give $200k and the rest $50k each and that alone would save 5 or 6 jobs.

CamelTones

Reaction score
They’re facing a $75 million deficit. They could contribute that money, but those jobs are being cut either way.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
They’re facing a $75 million deficit. They could contribute that money, but those jobs are being cut either way.
The only jobs they could save are the kinds that can be furloughed. They aren’t saving swimming and diving.

CamelTones

Reaction score
The only jobs they could save are the kinds that can be furloughed. They aren’t saving swimming and diving.
They’re not saving those jobs either. They have to make cuts. This isn’t a 1 year thing.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I hated cutting sports, especially swimming, but the annual amount they saved should let them pay down the proposed credit facility (if it moves forward) without blowing up the rest of the budget. If they are unable to bridge this one year gap you are going to see massive layoffs, potential defaults, and drastic change across every major conference.

It’s crossed my mind that the federal government may get involved, at least for the public schools, because there are questions as to what type of borrowing the schools can engage in. That would be a 5-10B lending program. At that point it joins the argument as to whether now is the time to completely dismantle public higher education. There are too many moving parts for that to happen right now, in my opinion. So we work to save college sports, but bring some of the spending back to earth.

it’s not just about one year. It’s about saving jobs, staying competitive, and adjusting for the reality that there may be fewer people interested in attending games in person in the future, or at least not willing to pay as much to do so. I also think borrowing costs for athletic departments are going to go up across the board to compensate for risks like this, which weren’t even really on the radar until now.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I wasn’t a big fan of the Washed Up Walkons when they first started but since I started listening again during the race issues they’ve been pretty good.

Their newest episode with former O lineman Reid Selby is damn funny. (Selby is now an army ranger).

He got an offer right before George Kittle.

He had no idea who Kirk was when he called him the day before signing day because he followed wrestling and not Big Ten football.

He had been recruited by the Brands to Iowa wrestling and before his visit his mom made up a resume type document to show the Brands the tournaments he had been in and how he finished. Tom or Terry grabbed it and threw it in the trash and said they didn’t care where he had been but where he was going. His mom was terrified.

Drew Ott was his roommate and tried to save every penny possible. Including unscrewing the lightbulb from the fridge. He alsotold their house they couldn’t run the heat in the winter so they sat around and slept in layers.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
pM me, if you want. I’ve been in some dark places. Love you, brother.
Thanks, my man. You’ve always been good to me. We are headed to Chicago for the weekend. No choice but to suck it up and put on a happy face for the fam.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Well yeah, he rode his school moped to Nebrantska for a break....

Still brings the lulz
Driving across Iowa and Nebrantska at 45 mph takes a lot of mental fortitude. That's a rough drive going 85

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
It was terrible. They've improved a ton. Their guests and their stories about how they got to Iowa and their experience at Iowa are pretty good.
I listened to two episodes after the Robert T. Howe shit (the one with Jordan Lomax was one of them) and they were both very, very hard to get through. Kulick is far and away the worst IMO, but none of them are any good.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
I listened to two episodes after the Robert T. Howe shit (the one with Jordan Lomax was one of them) and they were both very, very hard to get through. Kulick is far and away the worst IMO, but none of them are any good.
I realize almost all football players are dipshits on a certain level, but knowing that Kulick and I both have degrees from Iowa is kind of embarrassing. He is a moderately functioning retard.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Hate to agree with this but I do. Some of their guests have been great and it was a good listen. The guys were good at calling out the racism BS. Other than that, I just want to scream at Kluver to spit it the fuck out. Exceedingly annoying delivery.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
The Daniels/Lomax episode was interesting from a standpoint of hearing the black players' point of view in detail. And I don't mind having the WUW there to provide the white players' POV; but those guys were not capable of leading the discussion.

Revolver

Reaction score
The Daniels/Lomax episode was interesting from a standpoint of hearing the black players' point of view in detail. And I don't mind having the WUW there to provide the white players' POV; but those guys were not capable of leading the discussion.
they have a unique perspective of having played for the program, but if I wanted to hear a few douchebags talking shop I’d sit in on one of nlp’s politically charged client calls.

Reaction score
I've said it before, the normal interview episodes give insights on the program that are not available anywhere else. Particularly when the guest talks about their recruiting process and their progression through the program (or out of it in Reid Sealby's case). The best of these interviews are when Kevin or preferably Drake are missing because podcasts shouldn't have more than 3 people talking.

The Daniels/Lomax episode was an awkward one-off and the episodes with just the hosts talking devolve into nonsense.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Whatever, the Sealby interview is great and worth a listen. Or not if you don’t give a shit.

Revolver

Reaction score
This is so dumb. The Big Ten made a mistake. They know it. Everyone in the world knows it. Nothing is going to change that. Just fucking pick a reasonable start date (Thanksgiving is not reasonable) and be done with it.