**Official 2020 Iowa Football Season Thread**

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
The best case scenario for IKM is to be a replica of Jordan Canzeri. Sargent is your poor man's Leshun Daniels.

Goodson is a more talented and better Wadley.
Goodson also appears to be a good teammate and not a lying piece of shit. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Akrum.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Cambell/Jacobs will be as good or better than Greenway/Hodge

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
The best case scenario for IKM is to be a replica of Jordan Canzeri. Sargent is your poor man's Leshun Daniels.

Goodson is a more talented and better Wadley.
On the field, Wadley was an incredible talent. Goodson may do things better than Wadley that Iowa does more frequently (running between the tackles) but Wadley “in space” was one of the most electric playmakers we’ve ever seen at Iowa. His 2017 season he was creating positive yardage out of plays that should have never been there. Complete D Bag post Iowa, yes. But that 17 season was rare air for an Iowa RB

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Campbell reminds me a lot of kampman. They just might end up going the other route with him

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Before the pandemic and racial stuff I thought for sure they would try to bulk him up to play end. This was assuming Doyle was going to be the starter St middle linebacker.

He’d probably be awesome at either spot.

douglasbader

Reaction score
KF singled him out in his PC yesterday as well.
You were all over this before the kid had even taken a snap. What a great find on LaPorta and sounds like he can be another 1st round early entry pick.

Reaction score
You were all over this before the kid had even taken a snap. What a great find on LaPorta and sounds like he can be another 1st round early entry pick.
I still don't understand why he didn't have 30+ offers. His HS tape is outrageous and its a near clone of Hockenson's.

Reaction score

But here’s some good news, perhaps. Both Kirk and Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz have acknowledged that the way Iowa runs the football is getting some tweaks. The younger Ferentz said his eyes were opened after the Holiday Bowl, in part after seeing that end-around runs with wide receivers accounted for Iowa’s first two touchdowns.

Those receivers mentioned earlier?

They, too, can be a much heavier part of the way Iowa runs the football in 2020.

“I had to make an evolution,” Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz said. “(Receiver runs) were always secondary plays in my mind; they protect the inside runs. That’s how I envisioned it my entire career. I’m not sure I see it the same way anymore.

“I think we have very capable ball handlers that can make plays in space like that. So, I do think that needs to be a bigger part of our offense going forward.”

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I don't think the problem with the run scheme is not enough WR end arounds; it's that you can't cut anymore - plus if you're not taking advantage of the horseshit RPO officiating then you're hamstringing yourself.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I don't think the problem with the run scheme is not enough WR end arounds; it's that you can't cut anymore - plus if you're not taking advantage of the horseshit RPO officiating then you're hamstringing yourself.
This is going to continue to bug the shit out of me isn't it.

Reaction score
I don't think the problem with the run scheme is not enough WR end arounds
I disagree strongly. The biggest issue with Iowa's zone run game is that our division rivals understand it too well and they are able to shoot gaps on certain plays with a frightening success rate. Adding a heavy dose of misdirection via WR runs will make a drastic difference in the predictability of the offense. It can't just be lip service though, they have to believe in it enough to use it in important moments.

The model here is the 49ers. They literally drafted Samuel and Aiyuk as much for their running ability as their pass receiving ability.

thrawn

Reaction score
Doing more reverses and counters is probably the best way to improve the running game within Iowa’s scheme and the current rules environment though. ISM has been good on his runs for three years, TT looked capable last year.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I disagree strongly. The biggest issue with Iowa's zone run game is that our division rivals understand it too well and they are able to shoot gaps on certain plays with a frightening success rate. Adding a heavy dose of misdirection via WR runs will make a drastic difference in the predictability of the offense. It can't just be lip service though, they have to believe in it enough to use it in important moments.

The model here is the 49ers. They literally drafted Samuel and Aiyuk as much for their running ability as their pass receiving ability.
I'm not saying I don't think it will help. I'm saying Iowa doesn't scheme to the advantage of the rules anymore, and that needs to change.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I also hope Iowa goes more with those complete mis-direction plays like they did against Nebrantska and USC and not the "here comes the WR sprinting for a quick hand off at the snap" as it seems like that always immediately gets blown up.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I also hope Iowa goes more with those complete mis-direction plays like they did against Nebrantska and USC and not the "here comes the WR sprinting for a quick hand off at the snap" as it seems like that always immediately gets blown up.
The way the 49ers use it they complement the outside zone with it too, and that really gets the defense moving sideline to sideline, and opens up bootleg and screen stuff.

Last edited:
Reaction score
"room" might be the most aggravating football nomenclature trend word ever. Makes we want to punch people in the face.
“He’s got a hamstring (insert random muscle or body part here),” to indicate injury is the worst football-related nomenclature development of the last decade. It isn’t even close.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
Ought to have a game time by Monday morning. Getting close.

Reaction score
“He’s got a hamstring (insert random muscle or body part here),” to indicate injury is the worst football-related nomenclature development of the last decade. It isn’t even close.
You’re going to be out with a face after I punch it. Room is worse.