**Official 2020 Iowa Football Season Thread**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
9/96 over five games isn’t terrible. WhyTF did they switch to Cooper?
They switched to Cooper because Rigatoni wasn't even attempting to catch the ball after he had muffed a couple and was scared shitless and it over and over caused terrible field position.

The 2019 team was constantly buried on their own end because our punt returners were terrible.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
The play where they threw the fade to Cooper in The Red Zone in a key game last year whilst Noah Fant sat comfortably on the bench rates right up there with the Wisconsin fake punt as far as I'm concerned

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
They switched to Cooper because Rigatoni wasn't even attempting to catch the ball after he had muffed a couple and was scared shitless and it over and over caused terrible field position.

The 2019 team was constantly buried on their own end because our punt returners were terrible.
In the last 8 games they had 42 punt return chances. They ended up with 6 returns for 25 yards.

Nebrantska they had no returns on 10 attempts.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The play where they threw the fade to Cooper in The Red Zone in a key game last year whilst Noah Fant sat comfortably on the bench rates right up there with the Wisconsin fake punt as far as I'm concerned
I agree, the game where Fant checked himself out and decided to no-show was a travesty.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score

I like Ragaini, but Jones should be on the field too.
I wonder if Nico too could make catches against Bowling Green and Kent State. There's a lot to like about Jones but it remains to be seen if he can get open in the Big Ten.

thrawn

Reaction score
For a program that is comfortable playing tight games and winning on the margins it’s weird to me that seems to coach guys to error on the side of letting it hit. Hyde would always let them hit, and he was a solid return guy in the NFL until he became too valuable to put on returns.

its such an easy way to avoid losing 5+ yards 5+ times per game

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Keagan Johnson will be a day 1 contributor
He seems like the most college ready receiver. Becht could handle adding a little weight and Bruce will probably have to sort through what his role will be, whether it's strictly receiver or a little bit of playing all over the offense.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
Hudson, Mathews and Vines will also be in the mix.
Adding in three lightly recruited projects doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. As a few others have pointed out, hopefully Keagan Johnson is ready to contribute. I think they’re going to need him.

BVHawk95

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Brecht has a good chance of being a high pick in the Major League Draft. I wonder if he'll ever play in Iowa
He's already said he plans to stick with football.
Adding in three lightly recruited projects doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. As a few others have pointed out, hopefully Keagan Johnson is ready to contribute. I think they’re going to need him.
Idk about Matthews, but Hutson got some praise from KF last season (they thought about burning his RS early) but is hurt right now, and Vines was making some waves before getting hurt this preseason.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
9/96 over five games isn’t terrible. WhyTF did they switch to Cooper?
Charlie Jones 10 returns (22 total punts) for 150 yards through 3 games. Huge upgrade over last years 15 for 121 as a team and 81% no returns.

Like you said above, from a field position standpoint it is huge.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Charlie Jones 10 returns (22 total punts) for 150 yards through 3 games. Huge upgrade over last years 15 for 121 as a team and 81% no returns.

Like you said above, from a field position standpoint it is huge.
There were 22 punts by the other team in 3 games??

Reaction score
I always wonder if they’re from memory or if he is typing off a scroll or papyrus that he wrote on at the time.
I might still have my notebook from the "Coaching of Football" Class, spring 1974. A buddy and I took it just to get some Hoks info. The staff took turns lecturing, so I got some insight, along with being a practice groupie. Spring ball was an open thing then.

The best classroom teachers were Vernon, Stephenson, Wyatt and then Coyer Cechini and Green. Como wasn't much into it. Beckman was very forgettable. Whisler acted pissed that he had to show up. We got a kick out of Coyer warning us, in his southern accent, to watch out for high school girls: "They'll try to lay ya!"

Two things from Como stuck over the years. One was that every player at Massillon benched at least 300- "And those were the piss ants." And Evy only worked them out in sweats during the weeks of the biggest games. He wanted fresh legs.

Bernie ended up taking over the class in the final weeks in subsequent years. Into the 80s, I'm thinking. Good guy.

A guy I knew on the team said that every time Como stopped walking, Beckman's nose got stuck in his ass. After that I did notice that it did kinda seem that way at practice.

Never really heard any coach profanity at practice. Coyer was the most animated, but in a good way. They all seemed like good teachers, except I would have hated being one of Whisler's DL guys. Same thing with his successor Dan McDonald.

I remember being impressed with Danny Mac's practice habits as a senior OG. Rod Walters was a 1st round tackle pick and Joe Devlin a 2nd round guard who blocked for OJ, but Mac seemed like he put the most effort into it. You could see how he and Bobby Elliott became good coaches.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Brecht has a good chance of being a high pick in the Major League Draft. I wonder if he'll ever play in Iowa
Your guy Wagner was in an awful lot of camp pictures. It seems like that has meant something over the years. He might be #1 in the eye test department of all the receivers.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Your guy Wagner was in an awful lot of camp pictures. It seems like that has meant something over the years. He might be #1 in the eye test department of all the receivers.
Real nice kid and family

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
My neighbor just texted me that a friend of his that is friends with O'Keefe (I know, I know friend of a friend) says he expects Kirk to step down after this season. I essentially called bullshit on his statement, that I don't see Kirk leaving after this weird year with all the shit that has gone on, that he will leave on his own terms a couple years or more down the road once he has the program in the right position. He brought up the lawsuit and a new President. I shot down the lawsuit, but a new President and Barta having his health issues could cause some contemplation on Kirk's part. I still don't see him going out on anything but his terms and that is probably a few years yet down the road.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Yeah I’m not putting much into that. Kirk’s not going to give much of a shit about a new President or potential new AD. Maybe if both end up being assholes, but I would guess both would show him the appropriate amount of respect once they are on campus.

Reaction score
I remember being impressed with Danny Mac's practice habits as a senior OG. Rod Walters was a 1st round tackle pick and Joe Devlin a 2nd round guard who blocked for OJ, but Mac seemed like he put the most effort into it. You could see how he and Bobby Elliott became good coaches.
That dude had my favorite picture in the Field House.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
He hated Herrald and that didn’t get him to retire. I don’t think the pres matters a lot.