**Official 2020 Iowa Football Season Thread**

BillyBob

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I saw Kirk and Bruce hanging out at 31 flavors the other day. They were engaged in friendly conversation.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
My neighbor just texted me that a friend of his that is friends with O'Keefe (I know, I know friend of a friend) says he expects Kirk to step down after this season. I essentially called bullshit on his statement, that I don't see Kirk leaving after this weird year with all the shit that has gone on, that he will leave on his own terms a couple years or more down the road once he has the program in the right position. He brought up the lawsuit and a new President. I shot down the lawsuit, but a new President and Barta having his health issues could cause some contemplation on Kirk's part. I still don't see him going out on anything but his terms and that is probably a few years yet down the road.
Your neighbor is a LIAR and a SCUMBAG.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I saw Greg Davis in Panchero’s the day after he was hired and in passing said “Hey Greg, big fan.” It’s one of the biggest regrets of my life.
I tried to tell everyone the day he was hired. I sat in a Texas bar and listened to them scream and cuss and wish death upon Greg Davis.

It was the 2010 National Championship game. When that is happening while you are in the National Championship game, you know that something is wrong.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
I saw Greg Davis in Panchero’s the day after he was hired and in passing said “Hey Greg, big fan.” It’s one of the biggest regrets of my life.
I truly wish bad things for you. Not death, but Zaph-type bad thoughts.

Edit: No offense

(no offense - like GDGD - stupid fucker)

Last edited:

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Absolutely. Bruce made him do some things that Kirk thought were ridiculous and not normal pres/coach requests. He was livid about one thing in particular.
Non lubricated anal?

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
I tried to tell everyone the day he was hired. I sat in a Texas bar and listened to them scream and cuss and wish death upon Greg Davis.

It was the 2010 National Championship game. When that is happening while you are in the National Championship game, you know that something is wrong.
Greg Davis definitely sucked ass but let’s not pretend Texas has done anything at all since he was gone either

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The most recent Rag article I ready said there are 13 black former players filing the suit, wasn't there 8 prior? Who are the five, unemployed former players who joined this

fossilhawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

If the story is correct that they've filed in state court rather than federal, they are even more screwed than they might otherwise be.

First and foremost, the Iowa statute of limitations for race discrimination matters is 300 days from the date of occurrence. Not one of these players meets that criteria and are therefore time-barred.

Further, under the ICRA they are generally required to file administrative complaints with the Civil Rights Commission first, meaning they have to go through a fairly substantial administrative process before they can ever file a suit. As far as I'm aware, you can't file the complaints concurrently with a lawsuit - you have to exhaust the administrative remedy before filing. (Regardless, they're all outside the 300 day time limit.)

It's cute that this bunch is going fishing like this, but they almost certainly won't get shit, as it should be.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score

If the story is correct that they've filed in state court rather than federal, they are even more screwed than they might otherwise be.

First and foremost, the Iowa statute of limitations for race discrimination matters is 300 days from the date of occurrence. Not one of these players meets that criteria and are therefore time-barred.

Further, under the ICRA they are generally required to file administrative complaints with the Civil Rights Commission first, meaning they have to go through a fairly substantial administrative process before they can ever file a suit. As far as I'm aware, you can't file the complaints concurrently with a lawsuit - you have to exhaust the administrative remedy before filing. (Regardless, they're all outside the 300 day time limit.)

It's cute that this bunch is going fishing like this, but they almost certainly won't get shit, as it should be.
They are open to a monetary settlement though, just in case The University is feeling generous.

Reaction score
The most recent Rag article I ready said there are 13 black former players filing the suit, wasn't there 8 prior? Who are the five, unemployed former players who joined this
A few more guys who had complained like Foy. I was surprised to see Darian Cooper join it. He had a medical retirement but stayed and graduated.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
A few more guys who had complained like Foy. I was surprised to see Darian Cooper join it. He had a medical retirement but stayed and graduated.
Trinca-Pasat started over Darian and he was salty as fuck about that from what I was told by my INSIDER!!! sources back in the day. No idea if that was actually true.

Kirk’s blatant racism probably didn’t help.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I know their lawyer is out of state, but how could he not know Iowa discrimination laws?

KitKatApples

Reaction score
Trinca-Pasat started over Darian and he was salty as fuck about that from what I was told by my INSIDER!!! sources back in the day. No idea if that was actually true.

Kirk’s blatant racism probably didn’t help.
Trinica-pasat really sucked he's got a great case.......

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Apparently Trey Stross took a lot of pills at Iowa and had an excuse for the drops against Ohio State.

thrawn

Reaction score
The why doesn’t mean he isn’t a good reference point for WRs who can’t catch.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I remember Terry more for catching the hail maryish TD pass before halftime against Indiana in 2007 then spiking the ball, receiving a 15 yard penalty and getting yelled at by a guy that now manages a Culver’s.
Same. Left the stadium and walked home, turned the TV on and that was the first thing I saw. Couldn't stop laughing at the entire situation

KitKatApples

Reaction score
I remember Terry more for catching the hail maryish TD pass before halftime against Indiana in 2007 then spiking the ball, receiving a 15 yard penalty and getting yelled at by a guy that now manages a Culver’s.
I think we’ve all had that moment

fossilhawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Anybody who wants to read the lawsuit that was filed, here you go.

There's not overly much new here, and I'm no expert in this side of the law, but it's been a while since I've seen this terribly drafted a complaint.

1. KMM's complaint is that he wasn't permitted to break Nile Kinnick's punt return record against WMU in 2013.
2. Every cause of action they allege except "breach of contract" is a *federal* claim. You will notice the suit is filed in a *state* court. State courts generally don't have jurisdiction over questions of federal law.
3. They're asking the court to make the University partner with frickin' Ibram X. Kendi to "administer anti-racist training" for coaches and staff.

I'll leave it to be picked apart by the smarter lawyers on this board, but this complaint as drafted is begging for a motion to dismiss.

Attachments

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
I’m only on page three (of seventy) and can already tell that this is going to be a doozy.

“Under the watchful eye of Kirk Ferentz, Iowa football coaching staff utilized racially discriminatory and punitive means to force African-American athletes into strict compliance with the Program’s racist philosophy that effectively stripped away every cultural aspect of being an African-American.”

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
So now they’re alleging that BF and Doyle used the N word on numerous occasions?

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
The complaint alleges racism!!!!! because Brian was hired as OC over...Levar Woods and Bobby Kennedy, I guess?

K. Ferentz further exacerbated racial disparities within the Program by installing his son, B. Ferentz, as offensive line coach and offensive coordinator in 2012 and 2017, respectively. He was only thirty-three (33) years old when he was promoted to offensive coordinator over more senior and qualified African-American coaches on K. Ferentz’s staff at the time.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
Anybody who wants to read the lawsuit that was filed, here you go.

There's not overly much new here, and I'm no expert in this side of the law, but it's been a while since I've seen this terribly drafted a complaint.

1. KMM's complaint is that he wasn't permitted to break Nile Kinnick's punt return record against WMU in 2013.
2. Every cause of action they allege except "breach of contract" is a *federal* claim. You will notice the suit is filed in a *state* court. State courts generally don't have jurisdiction over questions of federal law.
3. They're asking the court to make the University partner with frickin' Ibram X. Kendi to "administer anti-racist training" for coaches and staff.

I'll leave it to be picked apart by the smarter lawyers on this board, but this complaint as drafted is begging for a motion to dismiss.
These fucks ever heard of "notice pleading" before? Hey-seuss.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
The complaint alleges racism!!!!! because Brian was hired as OC over...Levar Woods and Bobby Kennedy, I guess?

K. Ferentz further exacerbated racial disparities within the Program by installing his son, B. Ferentz, as offensive line coach and offensive coordinator in 2012 and 2017, respectively. He was only thirty-three (33) years old when he was promoted to offensive coordinator over more senior and qualified African-American coaches on K. Ferentz’s staff at the time.
LOL!!! I mean I like Levar but what makes him “more qualified” to be an offensive coordinator? And Kennedy? GTFO.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
Lol - apparently injured white players were pampered and held out of activities, while the racist!!!! coaches forced black players to play through their injuries or risk losing their scholarships.

“While White teammates were permitted to rest, recover, and heal, African- American players were ridiculed for their injuries and pressured to play while injured under explicit threats by coaches, including threats of loss of individual scholarships. White players, however, were not subject to similar threats by the coaching staff.”

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
This might be laughable, but assuming this is as baseless as the Halo legal mind seems to think it is, are there any sort of repercussion towards the lawyers for bringing a lawsuit that they know is federal vs state, outside the SOL, etc? I understand "anyone can sue for anything" and all that, but surely this can't be worth it for the lawyers, no? My understanding was these sorts of things were almost done on contingency so what is it - marketing?

fossilhawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
This might be laughable, but assuming this is as baseless as the Halo legal mind seems to think it is, are there any sort of repercussion towards the lawyers for bringing a lawsuit that they know is federal vs state, outside the SOL, etc? I understand "anyone can sue for anything" and all that, but surely this can't be worth it for the lawyers, no? My understanding was these sorts of things were almost done on contingency so what is it - marketing?
There are such things as sanctions for frivolous pleadings, but they generally don't extend out to poorly drafted complaints. You mostly see sanctions for obviously baseless claims like sovereign citizen tax evasion and other out-there whackaloon stuff (for instance, you could have seen sanctions for the guy who requested trial by combat in his Iowa divorce earlier this year).

This, alas, is not one of those kind of lawsuits.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
There are such things as sanctions for frivolous pleadings, but they generally don't extend out to poorly drafted complaints. You mostly see sanctions for obviously baseless claims like sovereign citizen tax evasion and other out-there whackaloon stuff (for instance, you could have seen sanctions for the guy who requested trial by combat in his Iowa divorce earlier this year).

This, alas, is not one of those kind of lawsuits.
OK, so no punishment.

So again, assuming halo is right, what's the thought? Charging hourly? Doubtful, considering these are all guys who didn't make the NFL. Contingency is no good on a suit that isn't going to win, and advertising that you take on and lose racial bias claims doesn't seem like good marketing...

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
OK, so no punishment.

So again, assuming halo is right, what's the thought? Charging hourly? Doubtful, considering these are all guys who didn't make the NFL. Contingency is no good on a suit that isn't going to win, and advertising that you take on and lose racial bias claims doesn't seem like good marketing...
Another option is also the most likely one....these guys just aren't very smart.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
Not much new in terms of the allegations of the players. The only one we haven’t heard already was Mends claiming that the team’s camera crew was shooting footage for a mini-series, and took a picture of Mends holding a shotgun. KF wouldn’t give Mends the picture to post on social media, even though one of his white teammates posted a picture (that was not taken by the team’s video crew) on Instagram of several white players holding guns.

Aside from that, it is the same allegations we have already heard - a number of exaggerations or flat out lies (Wadley claiming he was made violently ill because he was force-fed protein shakes and had his meal card privileges revoked; Parker claiming Brian yelled “only a dumbass black player would do it that way” in front of the entire team and coaching staff, etc.), and a bunch of conclusory statements that the coaches said mean things to the players because they were black.