**Official 2020 Iowa Hawkeye Football Offseason Thread**

Bob

Reaction score
Why do you "hope" Kallenberger starts? BTW, Banwart started and played every snap in the bowl game against Miss State.

I "hope" the best 5 guys start. If that MK, great. If it's CB, great. Maybe it's both.
Because I though he looked better than Banwart ever has by the end of last year. I also think he's probably starting at tackle eventually even if Cronk gets the spot this year so it'd be nice to get him playing time before then, even though I'd agree he shouldn't play just for the sake of playing if he's not one of the best five. I think Banwart is fine but I don't think he's anything special.

Reaction score
Banwart 100% is better than MK.

It's really hard to ever be 100% after an ACL.

It's kind of a dumb argument, they are both good, when healthy. Britt is the wildcard IMO. Super physical, strong, aggressive....but can't quite get it figured out. I'm not sure he's the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Britt is a Mechanical Engineering major. Here’s a paragraph from an article by Leistikow:

“Britt already has impressed Ferentz with his technical knowledge of the game. During their final visit before the Dec. 19 signing day, Ferentz remarked that Britt was identifying things some of his third-year players at Iowa couldn’t.”

I think we know who isn’t the sharpest knife here.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Britt is a Mechanical Engineering major. Here’s a paragraph from an article by Leistikow:

“Britt already has impressed Ferentz with his technical knowledge of the game. During their final visit before the Dec. 19 signing day, Ferentz remarked that Britt was identifying things some of his third-year players at Iowa couldn’t.”

D4L just got pwn3d!!!

Hawk4Life94

Douche4Life who uses musical Christmas lights
Reaction score

I might have been thinking of Ince.

douglasbader

Thinks Joe W Has Access To The YMCA
Reaction score
Why do you "hope" Kallenberger starts? BTW, Banwart started and played every snap in the bowl game against Miss State.

I "hope" the best 5 guys start. If that MK, great. If it's CB, great. Maybe it's both.
Because he is better, healthier and has a higher ceiling.

Monster

Wise Whamo!
Reaction score
Because he is better, healthier and has a higher ceiling.
But if Banwart starts, that means he's better. That's why I question fans who hope a particular player starts. It just seems weird, unless you personally know the kid and want him to be successful.

I hope the player who can best help Iowa win games ends up starting.

Reaction score
But if Banwart starts, that means he's better. That's why I question fans who hope a particular player starts. It just seems weird, unless you personally know the kid and want him to be successful.

douglasbader

Reaction score

Holy shit man, you spent the better part of the week in football threads chiding people and rolling your eyes at the stuff with Cronk and now you turn around and do exactly what you were making fun of.

I'm going to guess that much like Cronk, the job is MK's to lose.

Reaction score
There has been no indication that Banwart is an above average player when he has played. I wouldn't be surprised if Schott, Cronk/MK, and Britt are all ahead in the guard pecking order come August.

Of course there can always be injuries...

Monster

Wise Whamo!
Reaction score
Holy shit man, you spent the better part of the week in football threads chiding people and rolling your eyes at the stuff with Cronk and now you turn around and do exactly what you were making fun of.

I'm going to guess that much like Cronk, the job is MK's to lose.
No. You're wrong and you aren't thinking at all. I'm just questioning why anyone would hope a certain player starts. I'm not hoping Cronk starts. I'm predicting he will based on his past playing history. Its a different topic and the fact that you think its the same tells me that you're not using your brain right now.

Reaction score
No. You're wrong and you aren't thinking at all. I'm just questioning why anyone would hope a certain player starts. I'm not hoping Cronk starts. I'm predicting he will based on his past playing history. Its a different topic and the fact that you think its the same tells me that you're not using your brain right now.
You're just getting bogged down in semantics. People are obviously using "hope" as a synonym for "predicting." Someone "hopes" a certain player starts because they think he's the best option. It's not that they are just personally cheering for the guy. I do hope Cronk starts next year because it that would mean he's pretty damned good and if he does start, that likely means good things for the team. I "know" that the coaches will put the best 5 out there regardless of what I hope.

douglasbader

Reaction score
You hope certain players start because they are better, more talented and a higher ceiling. If coaches only started the "better" player in practice then you would have countless examples of sticking in some veteran player over a highly talented player and letting him work through some learning curve and ultimately being more valuable to the team.

In this case it is really simple, most think that MK is better. The coaches really like him. He is healthier. He also started ever snap during the bowl game against USC and was really good.

It is very reasonable to hope he starts over the walk-on that isn't as talented and is coming off a major injury.

douglasbader

Reaction score
You're just getting bogged down in semantics. People are obviously using "hope" as a synonym for "predicting." Someone "hopes" a certain player starts because they think he's the best option. It's not that they are just personally cheering for the guy. I do hope Cronk starts next year because it that would mean he's pretty damned good and if he does start, that likely means good things for the team. I "know" that the coaches will put the best 5 out there regardless of what I hope.
Correct on all of this.

Also, believe it or not, coaches do make mistakes and play guys that aren't actually the best option. Iowa football has shown at least a dozen examples of this alone. Shit, last year alone there were 2 pretty good examples.

Monster

Wise Whamo!
Reaction score
You might be right. I see the word hope much differently than the word predict. To me, hoping someone starts seems to be disregarding whether or not he's the best option. I can predict Banwart starts because I think he's better, but hope MK starts for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with ability.

I'm glad I got that straightened out.

Monster

Wise Whamo!
Reaction score
Correct on all of this.

Also, believe it or not, coaches do make mistakes and play guys that aren't actually the best option. Iowa football has shown at least a dozen examples of this alone. Shit, last year alone there were 2 pretty good examples.
Lol. Right.

They may have made mistakes, but you wouldn't know what they are.

douglasbader

Reaction score
You might be right. I see the word hope much differently than the word predict. To me, hoping someone starts seems to be disregarding whether or not he's the best option. I can predict Banwart starts because I think he's better, but hope MK starts for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with ability.

I'm glad I got that straightened out.
What in the fuck are you talking about?

douglasbader

Reaction score
I accept your white flag of surrender.

Are you drinking already?
Nobody could tell that Miles Turner wasn't as good as Amani Hooker! It wasn't obvious that Goodson and LaPorta should have been put in even earlier. Adam Shada was the best option. Jake Christensen was better than Stanzi. Rudock over Beathard.

This may be hurtful to you, Hamo, but the Iowa coaches have been so incredibly wrong sometimes that the father of a parent had to put an ultimatum to them and pretty much saved their ass long term by demanding they stop being fucking morons.

Coaches make mistakes. They don't see the forest from the trees sometimes. Shocking!

Reactions: Bob

Monster

Wise Whamo!
Reaction score
Nobody could tell that Miles Turner wasn't as good as Amani Hooker! It wasn't obvious that Goodson and LaPorta should have been put in even earlier. Adam Shada was the best option. Jake Christensen was better than Stanzi. Rudock over Beathard.

This may be hurtful to you, Hamo, but the Iowa coaches have been so incredibly wrong sometimes that the father of a parent had to put an ultimatum to them and pretty much saved their ass long term by demanding they stop being fucking morons.

Coaches make mistakes. They don't see the forest from the trees sometimes. Shocking!
Hey, dipshit. I know coaches make mistakes. I'm saying you have no idea when they do. You're not a football expert. You're not at practice. You don't know what their grades are. You don't know what their attitude is like. There are lots of variables here at play. You're a former athlete. I would expect you to know that. It's not always about ability.

Have you ever been around an athlete who was obviously better than the guy in front of him but for whatever reason he couldn't get his shit together? And then once he did he got to play and showed he was better? Do you think it's possible that these examples that you just put in your last post maybe had some variables that you arent aware of? Of course you don't. Because you know everything.

Last edited:

Monster

Wise Whamo!
Reaction score
Lol. Because Goodson was better in week 8 means he would have been better in week one and the coaches made a mistake!

Hawk4Life94

Douche4Life who uses musical Christmas lights
Reaction score
Hey, dipshit. I know coaches make mistakes. I'm saying you have no idea when they do. You're not a football expert. You're not at practice. You don't know what their grades are. You don't know what their attitude is like. There are lots of variables here at play. You're a former athlete. I would expect you to know that. It's not always about ability.

Have you ever been around an athlete who was obviously better than the guy in front of him but for whatever reason he couldn't get his shit together? And then once he did he got to play and showed he was better? Do you think it's possible that these examples that you just put in your last post maybe had some variables that you are to where of? Of course you don't. Because you know everything.
But Monster, a dad gave an ultimatum.

And saved the program.

Monster

Wise Whamo!
Reaction score
Doug is a smart guy usually but hes a dipshit when it comes to this stuff. Its absolutely laughable that he thinks he knows more than the Iowa coaching staff.

Monster

Wise Whamo!
Reaction score
Saying that some one was wrong or made a mistake doesn't mean you're asserting to know more.
Then how do you know they are making a mistake? When you say someone made a mistake about a subjective issue you are saying that you know more about the issue than they do. Otherwise, how can you say it's a mistake? Doug is sure they made mistakes. But howcan he know that Goodson would have been better in week one than Sargent? He doesn't know. Goodson came in later in the season and played great, but that doesn't mean he would have been that good earlier in the season. Maybe he didn't know what he was doing then? Couldn't pick up blitzes? Who the fuck knows? All I'm saying is just because Goodson played better than Sargent later in the season doesn't mean he would have been better earlier and the coaches fucked up. Maybe they did, but Doug doesn't know simply by performance on the field.

Monster

Wise Whamo!
Reaction score
It's really the dumbest fucking thing ever. Well this guy came in and played great so that just shows the coaches were dumb and made a mistake by not playing him earlier.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
Monster taking people to task is funny for 'hoping' player A starts. Monster, of course, paints this as emotional attachment when all they mean is they think player A is better & has more upside than player B. He's always trying to cast himself as the objective, unemotional, voice of reason. Monster, of course, doesn't 'hope' anyone starts. Monster just wants the best player to start. The mild condescension gets a little old at times.

1579888561744.png

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
Then how do you know they are making a mistake? When you say someone made a mistake about a subjective issue you are saying that you know more about the issue than they do. Otherwise, how can you say it's a mistake? Doug is sure they made mistakes. But howcan he know that Goodson would have been better in week one than Sargent? He doesn't know. Goodson came in later in the season and played great, but that doesn't mean he would have been that good earlier in the season. Maybe he didn't know what he was doing then? Couldn't pick up blitzes? Who the fuck knows? All I'm saying is just because Goodson played better than Sargent later in the season doesn't mean he would have been better earlier and the coaches fucked up. Maybe they did, but Doug doesn't know simply by performance on the field.
Disagree.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding
Reaction score
Monster taking people to task is funny for 'hoping' player A starts. Monster, of course, paints this as emotional attachment when all they mean is they think player A is better & has more upside than player B. He's always trying to cast himself as the objective, unemotional, voice of reason. Monster, of course, doesn't 'hope' anyone starts. Monster just wants the best player to start. The mild condescension gets a little old at times.

View attachment 16429

douglasbader

Reaction score
Lol. You know this is the definition of RATT, right?

What a crock of shit that nobody but the coaches can ever know.

Reaction score

Iowa’s coaches “wrongness” is typically the opposite of this, they don’t see the really sweet fucking trees because they are obsessed with maintaining the forest.

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
Maybe all of that is true but it sure seems like Iowa sometimes puts a bigger premium on intangibles over athleticism. Goodson isn't a great example because young RBs usually struggle with pass protection. I think there are other examples where it was pretty clear to everyone that a superior player - athletically - was sitting in favor of a player that may be the better teammate, student, practice player, or whatever. That's always been Ferentz's MO and maybe it's ultimately a net positive for the program.

Plus, arguing about who should start, complaining about clock management, play calling, etc. is what fans are supposed to do. It'd be pretty boring to just sit there and politely support and applaud every coach's decision.

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
The argument also sort of implies that rightness and wrongness on these things is binary when it comes down to a bunch of different variables. Take QB, for example. Let's say you have QB A who never turns the ball over in practice, but also constantly checks down and struggles to move the offense. You have QB B who is more aggressive and can move the ball downfield in practice but struggles with turning it over too much. This isn't Madden where you're comparing a player rating number, it's a subjective thing where the coaches have to decide whether turning the ball over will hurt them worse than struggling to move the ball. You could be the most knowledgeable person in the world about the underlying ability of the players and end up making the wrong subjective decision there.

No one thinks they have more information than the coaches, they believe that in retrospect the coaches made the wrong subjective decisions with the information they had.

Hope that helps!

HoundedHawk

Bayard
Reaction score
Hey, dipshit. I know coaches make mistakes. I'm saying you have no idea when they do.
There are some when most of us know they do, even concerning personnel. Starting Jake C. over Ricki S. the second half of the Michigan State game was a huge mistake.

And it's quite obvious on numerous calls. KF not calling the TO to save time for the Hawks to attempt another score, but instead letting all the time run off to then try and ice the Clone kicker in their last win at Kinnick was a mistake.

And the list can go on.

HoundedHawk

Bayard
Reaction score
Then how do you know they are making a mistake? When you say someone made a mistake about a subjective issue you are saying that you know more about the issue than they do. Otherwise, how can you say it's a mistake?
It is not necessarily saying you know more about the issue than them. It means you believe you have interpreted the data more accurately than them. And you can know they made a mistake often in retrospect by examining the outcome combined with an analysis of the available choices.

HoundedHawk

Bayard
Reaction score
The argument also sort of implies that rightness and wrongness on these things is binary when it comes down to a bunch of different variables. Take QB, for example. Let's say you have QB A who never turns the ball over in practice, but also constantly checks down and struggles to move the offense. You have QB B who is more aggressive and can move the ball downfield in practice but struggles with turning it over too much. This isn't Madden where you're comparing a player rating number, it's a subjective thing where the coaches have to decide whether turning the ball over will hurt them worse than struggling to move the ball. You could be the most knowledgeable person in the world about the underlying ability of the players and end up making the wrong subjective decision there.

No one thinks they have more information than the coaches, they believe that in retrospect the coaches made the wrong subjective decisions with the information they had.

Hope that helps!
KF has also admitted to making a call on a gut feeling, and then it turned out wrong.

foxhawks

Doesn't wash his butthole last
Reaction score
I just swiped through this page when I saw what was going on.

My recap:
Nessie
Pacino
Nessie
Nessie
Pacino
Pacino
Nessie
Nessie
Nessie
Pacino
Pacino