**Official 2020 Iowa Hawkeye Football Offseason Thread**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
If the big 2 come back, then this is a pre-season Top 15 team if not a Top 10 team.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
I want a big ten championship and to kick Wisconsin’s ass

douglasbader

Reaction score
They return everyone on offense except for Stanley, Ross and possibly Wirfs. If Petras or whoever is good, they are loaded. Most offensive talent in a long, long time. New QB going to have a lot of help.

QB - Petras
RB - Goodson / Sargent / IKM
FB - Potterbaum
WR - Smith / ISM / Tracy / Rigatoni / Martin / Pooper and about 5 others
TE - LaPorta / Beyer / Maimen
OT - Jackson / Kallenberger
OG - Schott / Britt
C - Linderbaum

douglasbader

Reaction score
The biggest need outside of seeing if Epenesa / Wirfs / Stone come back is going to be finding a punter. They should go the grad transfer route again.

Might need a grad transfer DE. That is pretty much it.

Reaction score
They return everyone on offense except for Stanley, Ross and possibly Wirfs. If Petras or whoever is good, they are loaded. Most offensive talent in a long, long time. New QB going to have a lot of help.

QB - Petras
FB - Potterbaum
OG - Schott / Britt
C - Linderbaum
I hope we don't regret those 3 plays that Stanley ran in his freshman year.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score

QB - Petras
FB - Potterbaum
OG - Schott / Britt
C - Linderbaum
Wasn't that before the new rule was in place

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Wirfs was waving bye bye to the cameras as he was holding the trophy.

he gone

douglasbader

Reaction score

QB - Petras
FB - Potterbaum
OG - Schott / Britt
C - Linderbaum
I like Nate and he had a great finish to his career, but there is talent behind him and Iowa should be in good shape.

JD720

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

QB - Petras
FB - Potterbaum
OG - Schott / Britt
C - Linderbaum
Wasn't that before the new rule was in place
Yes. He did play 5 games, but he probably wouldn't have played in the bowl game if a year of eligibility was on the line.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
I know people hate the Kirk/Brian nepotism thing but the hawks have won a lot since Brian has been in the program. I think he's the ass kicker that was needed and the wake up call Kirk needed. Hopefully he's the next successful multiple decade tenured coach. That's just me.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Petras and Hogan are more than enough to keep Iowa afloat

thrawn

Reaction score
Can Evans bulk up enough to be more than a 3rd down rush end?

Brownzy

Important Backpack Wearer
Reaction score
Wirfs is obviously gone, AJ should go but might surprise us.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I know people hate the Kirk/Brian nepotism thing but the hawks have won a lot since Brian has been in the program. I think he's the ass kicker that was needed and the wake up call Kirk needed. Hopefully he's the next successful multiple decade tenured coach. That's just me.
The recruiting an program management have taken a clear step forward.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Gus still isn’t sold.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I’m really happy ISM flipped from Minnesota to Iowa.

Also, Sam LaPorta, that freshman kid, is going to be really fucking good.

Mustangs989

Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Wirfs is gone. His family situation is a whole different deal than what AJ has going on. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back.

thrawn

Reaction score
Running game still isn’t totally fixed, but with Tracey and ISM they’re clearly ready to just reverse the shit out of teams, right?

CamelTones

Reaction score
Am I wrong in thinking Ross kind of sucks?
No and I’ll say it for the millionth time, they need to make Toren Young a fullback like Wisconsin has been doing. Make that a position teams have to defend.

Reaction score
If I can pick one that comes back between Wirfs and AJE, it's AJE and it's not close.

Even if Wirfs leaves, they'll have four of the guys back that started the game tonight plus get Banwart back presumably. And the coaches seem to like Justin Britt. The #1 priority of the off-season needs to be picking the 5 OL starters and getting them running together to develop some chemistry so the run game finally works consistently.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Neither should come back but I certainly hope AJ and Geno do

CamelTones

Reaction score
Stone doesn’t strike me as a next level player.

He’s a completely different player than Hooker. You could see Hookers game translating to the NFL with his coverage skills. Stone is great in run support and ok in pass coverage.

Reaction score
It would depend on Eppy and the young LBs, but I've been wondering for a couple of years if Niemann could/should possibly get a peek at DE, assuming he could possibly get to 255 in a short time. His best NFL shot might even be as a bigger 3-4 OLB. If he got 50% of the snaps, that might be more than his LB snaps- unless he would happen to win the MLB spot or beat out 32 at Will.

Reaction score

He’s a completely different player than Hooker. You could see Hookers game translating to the NFL with his coverage skills. Stone is great in run support and ok in pass coverage.
Shorter and (surely) not as fast as well.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Kirks awesome. I really hope he gets another shot at a Rose Bowl.

douglasbader

Reaction score

Epenesa and Wirfs will get 1st round grade feedback and are gone, and that honestly is a good thing for them and Iowa as it will continue to raise the profile and visibility of the program. Stone will get a late round or undrafted grade and will come back.

Iowa won 9 games, finished #25 and lost 4 guys to early entry last year. This year they won 10 games and will finish in the Top 15 with a tougher schedule and likely will lose 2 guys to early entry.

I never want to say Iowa can replace talent like Epenesa and Wirfs, but they are at the point as a program where they can lose guys like that and not fall apart.

Reaction score
If we could get AJ back that would be so huge obviously. His hit that knocked out slovis was the biggest play of the game by far.

Reaction score

he gone
Last On Iowa podcast when there was a question about the two, Morehouse went into a thing about how one of the families already cancelled their HawkeyeReport podcast, then talked about A.J. for a bit. Was obvious what he was trying to imply.

Relatedly, he's a really nice guy but holy shit it feels like Morehouse is having a rough ass year. He doesn't really seem to know very much, forgets routine shit all the time, often talks about how he hasn't gotten into recruiting or whatever like he used to. And every time Dochterman brings up the most basic correction on something dumb he said or says a basic fact, he responds "that's a great point" like it's something groundbreaking. I swear it happens 5 times per episode.

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
Someone needs to take the keys to Twitter from poor Mac.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

he gone
Last On Iowa podcast when there was a question about the two, Morehouse went into a thing about how one of the families already cancelled their HawkeyeReport podcast, then talked about A.J. for a bit. Was obvious what he was trying to imply.

Relatedly, he's a really nice guy but holy shit it feels like Morehouse is having a rough ass year. He doesn't really seem to know very much, forgets routine shit all the time, often talks about how he hasn't gotten into recruiting or whatever like he used to. And every time Dochterman brings up the most basic correction on something dumb he said or says a basic fact, he responds "that's a great point" like it's something groundbreaking. I swear it happens 5 times per episode.
this happens to nearly every sportswriter

Reaction score

he gone

But he doesn't do anything else. And acts like being an Iowa football beat writer is this incredible ordeal and he doesn't even do half the shit he used to. I don't know, it's hard to describe without specific examples right now but it's been bad. Dochterman carries him on there. Also just gets weird, strong opinions. Shit like this from last episode, happens all the time....

Morehouse: Leshon Williams, he's gonna be a stud. Any RB from Chicago named Leshon. I love Chicago running backs, I don't know why they haven't recruited any RB's from Chicago area.
Dochterman: Well, Ivory Kelly-Martin.
Morehouse: Ooooo, that's a great point.

douglasbader

Reaction score

But he doesn't do anything else. And acts like being an Iowa football beat writer is this incredible ordeal and he doesn't even do half the shit he used to. I don't know, it's hard to describe without specific examples right now but it's been bad. Dochterman carries him on there. Also just gets weird, strong opinions. Shit like this from last episode, happens all the time....

Morehouse: Leshon Williams, he's gonna be a stud. Any RB from Chicago named Leshon. I love Chicago running backs, I don't know why they haven't recruited any RB's from Chicago area.
I said in chat or maybe on here earlier that Morehouse has been super annoying and phoned it in for at least 4 years now. I think his brother died and maybe his dad as well and he does nothing but complain about the demands of his "job". He used to be funny but is now a miserable sad sack.

He clearly doesn't give a shit anymore. If he is so miserable, give someone young and hungry like Stiles his job.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Imhir smith marsette is a mother fucking pro.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I think Marc does a good job. I like his obscure snark.

I don’t get getting pissy on social. If it bugs you there’s an easy fix.

Bob

Reaction score
All the post game quotes from Stone make it sound like he's leaning toward leaving right now. I have not seen a ton of draft buzz about him but it's still relatively early. I think he'd get drafted and is good enough to be a pro but can't imagine it'd be before the fifth or sixth round.

CamelTones

Reaction score

For all the shit people give Dochterman about his Ahmad Wagner take, the guy is in tune with what is going on within the program. Could be the fact that he’s jumped around from the Gazette, to Land of 10 to The Athletic that keeps him working hard/keeps the job exciting for him.

I’ll give Morehouse a pass knowing he lost his dad a couple months ago but I agree with everything Hiawatha has said. It felt like when they briefly had him do the podcast with Hlas after Scott left he was ready to be done. With the way he talks it seems like he really wishes he was covering Wisconsin.

CamelTones

Reaction score
All the post game quotes from Stone make it sound like he's leaning toward leaving right now. I have not seen a ton of draft buzz about him but it's still relatively early. I think he'd get drafted and is good enough to be a pro but can't imagine it'd be before the fifth or sixth round.
If he leaves does Merriweather take his spot? It doesn’t seem like Dallas Craddieth is ever going to be anything as none of the coaches ever talk about him.

I’d like to see 1 of their 800 corners get a shot back there. I know Brents hasn’t been healthy but they really need to find a way to get him on the field.