**Official 2020 Iowa Hawkeye Football Offseason Thread**

Bob

Reaction score
Wagner actually looked pretty good all things considered before Kentucky had to start playing a WR at QB and basically turned into a service academy so Doc wasn't even that wrong there.

It seems like Marc is mostly burned out on dealing with Iowa fans on Twitter and, like, just log off man.

All the post game quotes from Stone make it sound like he's leaning toward leaving right now. I have not seen a ton of draft buzz about him but it's still relatively early. I think he'd get drafted and is good enough to be a pro but can't imagine it'd be before the fifth or sixth round.
If he leaves does Merriweather take his spot? It doesn’t seem like Dallas Craddieth is ever going to be anything as none of the coaches ever talk about him.

I’d like to see 1 of their 800 corners get a shot back there. I know Brents hasn’t been healthy but they really need to find a way to get him on the field.
Probably? Or Belton depending on what they want to do with Cash.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Defense is going to miss Epenesa and possibly Stone, but they should be very solid again. Look at all they lost coming into this season (M. Nelson / A. Nelson / Hesse / Hooker / Gervase) and they ended up better against a tougher schedule.

DE - Golston / Waggoner / Evans / Van Valkenberg
DT - Nixon / Schulte / Shannon
LB - Nieman / Colbert / Wade / Campbell / Doyle and about 5 others
CB - Hankins / Brents / Moss / Johnson / Roberts
S - Belton / Koerner / Merriweather

K - Duncan
P- Gersonde or Grad Transfer
KR - ISM
PR - Pooper (hopefully someone else)

douglasbader

Reaction score
All the post game quotes from Stone make it sound like he's leaning toward leaving right now. I have not seen a ton of draft buzz about him but it's still relatively early. I think he'd get drafted and is good enough to be a pro but can't imagine it'd be before the fifth or sixth round.
If he leaves does Merriweather take his spot? It doesn’t seem like Dallas Craddieth is ever going to be anything as none of the coaches ever talk about him.

I’d like to see 1 of their 800 corners get a shot back there. I know Brents hasn’t been healthy but they really need to find a way to get him on the field.
Belton takes his spot I think.

I think Hankins and Brents will start at CB and Moss can find spots to work in.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Kirk has finally decided the bullshit cut block rule is going to stay. Iowa’s run game is good as fixed for next year.

Bob

Reaction score
Don't feel that great about end unless Evans really bulks up. He's a good pass rusher but he's going to die playing starter minutes unless he puts on quite a bit of size. It seems like kind of a bad sign that Waggoner hasn't been able to rotate in more. It'd be a good spot to dive into the grad transfer or juco market before the late signing day. I think tackle will be solid though, Logan Lee is going to be really good.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
Other than insane closing speed on several plays, I haven't seen much out of Stone to think he should be leaving early.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Don't feel that great about end unless Evans really bulks up. He's a good pass rusher but he's going to die playing starter minutes unless he puts on quite a bit of size. It seems like kind of a bad sign that Waggoner hasn't been able to rotate in more. It'd be a good spot to dive into the grad transfer or juco market before the late signing day. I think tackle will be solid though, Logan Lee is going to be really good.
I forgot about Logan Lee and in both the Offense and Defense didn't list any true freshman coming in. That shows how much Iowa has coming back.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
No one else on the roster is Epenesa. But someone will surprise like McCall or Reames. All these guys have an entire offseason to get bigger and develop. What we saw this year isn’t necessarily where they’ll be next year. I’m sure Waggoners motivation now as a projected starter changes his mentality a little bit.

Bob

Reaction score
Stone is really good. Great closing speed, good ball skills, and it seems like he's always around the ball. Dude has been making plays from the moment they put him on the field. I don't know how high he's getting drafted but he should be a pro.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Gus still isn’t sold.
last night was amazing, but on the offense and the consistency of its production?

I think Brian can get there and hope he does, but I’m not sure the resume is there yet. Fortunately he’ll likely have at least a few more years to build it.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Guys that can consistently get to the QB are the most valuable thing in football. 1B to a Great QB’s 1A

even if we return 9 guys on D...Epenesa’s departure is going to be very painful for this defense if someone isn’t able to fill those shoes.

Last edited:

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
No one else on the roster is Epenesa. But someone will surprise like McCall or Reames. All these guys have an entire offseason to get bigger and develop. What we saw this year isn’t necessarily where they’ll be next year. I’m sure Waggoners motivation now as a projected starter changes his mentality a little bit.
Chauncey is a bad, bad man. Having him back is huge.

thrawn

Reaction score
Chauncey is a bad, bad man. Having him back is huge.
been assuming AJ was gone all along, Gholston staying alone feels like a win

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
I'm gonna be Stinky's pivot man at the park if both AJ and Wirfs come back.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Awesome game. A little better accuracy out of Nate and we lay 60 on those fags.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
The game is on FS1 right now and when AJ exploded Slovis' arm, it was a likely TD if he gets the throw off.

Ojemudia was torched and I mean torched. Jake Christensen would've hit him for a TD.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Lol. Clicked on that tweet and saw rich wirfs had retweeted Hawkize. Learned hawkize had blocked me. Not that I ever search for his tweets or followed him. What an epic snowflake.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
The game is on FS1 right now and when AJ exploded Slovis' arm, it was a likely TD if he gets the throw off.

Ojemudia was torched and I mean torched. Jake Christensen would've hit him for a TD.
LOL. AJ destroys 3 players on that play. Beats the left tackle, eats the QB's arm and then blows up the right tackle #70 during the scramble for the fumble he forced. Then the retarded #70 comes back clapping and getting AJ's face when USC recovered their own fumble. Lmfao

douglasbader

Reaction score
Lol. Clicked on that tweet and saw rich wirfs had retweeted Hawkize. Learned hawkize had blocked me. Not that I ever search for his tweets or followed him. What an epic snowflake.
Lol.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
I don't think Stone will go anywhere near high or even middle rounds in the draft. I think it a possibility he even is an undrafted free agent. With that said, I don't think staying another year does anything to build upon that.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
I don't think Stone will go anywhere near high or even middle rounds in the draft. I think it a possibility he even is an undrafted free agent. With that said, I don't think staying another year does anything to build upon that.
I disagree with that. A first team all big ten season would do a lot for him.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Stone is probably in a similar position that Tyler Cook was.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
I think Kristian Welch wil be an undrafted FA and stick around the NFL for a long time. He's quietly really good.

Bob

Reaction score
Imhir smith marsette is a mother fucking pro.
I loved ihmir the second I laid eyes on him. s/h
Definitely one of the most likable guys we've ever had personality wise on top of being a good player

Gus still isn’t sold.
last night was amazing, but on the offense and the consistency of its production?
Did Iowa play a defense as shitty as USC in conference play? I think that's the answer.
Rutgers but their punter had an insane day so it didn't show in the score. USC is definitely the worst defense we played aside from them and MTSU though.

Gushawk

Reaction score
I think Kristian Welch wil be an undrafted FA and stick around the NFL for a long time. He's quietly really good.
will miss him badly, again, if it’s Dillon not Jack

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
he made a huge jump this year. The highly recruited guys are awesome but having 3-4 guys like this a year is what gives us the consistency. OJ, Welch, Young, etc were all program guys that got a lot better this year.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised this Spring/Fall with the LB position. The break and competition from some really talented players that have had time to grow and develop will be a good thing. I think multiple guys will catch and pass Doyle and he will be mostly a special teams player going forward.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score

Let’s not go overboard here.

Gushawk

Reaction score
Hope so, doug. Still have high hopes for Jestin Jacobs being a stud too.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
Another thing from the broadcast last night... there was a shot of the crowd at one point with a USC mom bundling up her kid in a blanket who already had a stocking cap and coat on and right behind them there was an Iowa kid in a baseball hat and shorts. Lol

Gushawk

Reaction score
come one man. Welch was invisible/bad for three years before contributing at a high level this year. Our kids almost always get better.
Face it, Dillon’s not the athlete Welch is...no need to always contrarian white knight against reality, Wade

douglasbader

Reaction score
he made a huge jump this year. The highly recruited guys are awesome but having 3-4 guys like this a year is what gives us the consistency. OJ, Welch, Young, etc were all program guys that got a lot better this year.
This is a good point. Welch is a guy that nobody thought much of coming into this year. Same thing with Ojemudia. They developed and got a lot better.

ISM is also a player that everyone thought was a good returner but a mediocre receiver. He developed into a legit weapon all over the field and now going into next year will be one of the best players in the Big Ten.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
We’ve got some special talent type of kids at LB coming through. Not concerned. D line will need to grow up, but Shannon and Lee sound really promising

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
The most important games next year are Minnesota and Wisconsin. Win those and we’ll be going to Indy. Sucks that we get penn st and Ohio st on the road but the crossover games aren’t going to determine the west

douglasbader

Reaction score
This is fun. Iowa has always been a program where they would build up to seasons like this and then have a severe drop off for a couple years before building back up. Knock on wood, but it really seems that ever since the new football facility and coaching changes 2014-2016 happened that Iowa is to where they are a reloading instead of a rebuilding program.

Players keep getting better and better.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
We’ve got some special talent type of kids at LB coming through. Not concerned. D line will need to grow up, but Shannon and Lee sound really promising
Lee is a monster and will be in the rotation next year, possibly at multiple spots.

Last edited:

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
This is fun. Iowa has always been a program where they would build up to seasons like this and then have a severe drop off for a couple years before building back up. Knock on wood, but it really seems that ever since the new football facility and coaching changes 2014-2016 happened that Iowa is to where they are a reloading instead of a rebuilding program.

the floor is the highest it’s ever been in my life, in my opinion.

as with any level of football is usually comes down to your QB, and we have recruited better at that position than anywhere.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Also, keep in mind that I am probably the biggest Jack Campbell person here and I hope he’s the starter along with Jacobs. I want athleticism out there.

I just think the idea that’s it’s a given that Doyle sucks is really stupid and has no basis other than hes white and related to a coach.

BillyBob

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
From a financial perspective, I'm not sure if going this year or staying is the better decision for Epenesa and Wirfs. At least, it's not an obvious financial decision, right now.

I think both are projected around the middle of the first round right now, although that can/will change. If they both come back, they have an excellent shot at going very high in the draft, like top 3 ish. With the rookie contract scale, there's a huge difference between those draft slots, potentially 20 million or so over the course of a contract.

If theyre both looking top 5 ish this year, then the risk benefit ratio heavily favors towards leaving this year.

Anyways, both will probably get a very high draft grade and leave this year. I'll suck everyone's dick to completion if both return.

thrawn

Reaction score

if they can keep the bad losses cleaned up it keeps the floor so much higher. They were pretty damn close the last two years with a bunch of close losses to good teams and if that’s the pattern some years the breaks fall your way and you’re at 10+ wins and NY6