**Official 2020 Iowa Hawkeye Football Offseason Thread**

Bob

Reaction score
I completely believe he's conflicted, I don't believe he'll actually come back. At some point I think the coaches and his family are probably going to sit him down and tell him he needs to go.
He doesn’t need to go. AJ is set for life one way or another.
Best case scenario for him: he leaves this year or next year, drafted in first round and becomes a multi millionaire.

Bad case scenario: he comes back, is injured for part of the year and falls a bit in draft. And still becomes a multi millionaire.

Worst case scenario: Comes back and has career ending injury. Collects insurance policy and likely gets paid 6 figures for the rest of his life doing something other than playing football. Multi millionaire.
hmm seems like a pretty simplistic way to look at it but ok

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I completely believe he's conflicted, I don't believe he'll actually come back. At some point I think the coaches and his family are probably going to sit him down and tell him he needs to go.
He doesn’t need to go. AJ is set for life one way or another.
Best case scenario for him: he leaves this year or next year, drafted in first round and becomes a multi millionaire.

Bad case scenario: he comes back, is injured for part of the year and falls a bit in draft. And still becomes a multi millionaire.

Worst case scenario: Comes back and has career ending injury. Collects insurance policy and likely gets paid 6 figures for the rest of his life doing something other than playing football. Multi millionaire.
hmm seems like a pretty simplistic way to look at it but ok
It is sort of a simplistic situation though. Declare and get drafted likely in the 1st round and become a multi-millionaire. Come back, get insurance, stay healthy and get drafted likely in the 1st round and become a multi-millionaire. Come back, get hurt, collect insurance, get drafted 2nd or 3rd round, become a multi-millionaire.

douglasbader

Reaction score
If he goes pro he’ll go to a shitty team and get a serious head injury in his rookie year.

If he stays he’ll go to the Rose Bowl and then get drafted by a good organization and not get hurt.

It’s a no brainer.
Lol, something nobody said!!

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Looking at a mock draft and they don’t have Herbert in the 1st round, last year there was talk he could go #1.

QB is different however.

Reaction score
Different position, different era, but Chuck Long probably doesn't feel too bad about staying in '85. I wonder what Jon Hayes, the guy in the same boat who went pro, thinks in hindsight. He caught 5 balls for 39 yards for the 6-10 Chiefs.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
They also made like $12 a year in the NFL back then.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Different position, different era, but Chuck Long probably doesn't feel too bad about staying in '85. I wonder what Jon Hayes, the guy in the same boat who went pro, thinks in hindsight. He caught 5 balls for 39 yards for the 6-10 Chiefs.
Did have an 11 year career and was an nfl coach for a hell of a long time.

Reaction score
12 actually. I just wonder if he ever thinks that 11 NFL years and catching 40-50 balls for the #1 team in the nation and maybe making All-American teams might have been fun. (He may not.)

It may not have been in the cards, but if he could have sneaked into the first round, it would have made 4 first founders.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
12 actually. I just wonder if he ever thinks that 11 NFL years and catching 40-50 balls for the #1 team in the nation and maybe making All-American teams might have been fun. (He may not.)

It may not have been in the cards, but if he could have sneaked into the first round, it would have made 4 first founders.
Going into spring practice of the 84 season he was diagnosed with type one diabetes. While he had a nice year he lost a shitload of weight and really struggled to keep his condition under control. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn he made the decision to go because he didn’t know what the future held. He wrote a book about his condition/journey in 1993. I found a copy of it on eBay but haven’t read it yet.

edit to add that I’m pretty sure he was first team all American in 84

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score

Going into spring practice of the 84 season he was diagnosed with type one diabetes. While he had a nice year he lost a shitload of weight and really struggled to keep his condition under control. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn he made the decision to go because he didn’t know what the future held. He wrote a book about his condition/journey in 1993. I found a copy of it on eBay but haven’t read it yet.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score

Mr. Diabeetus has type 2 not type 1 but I think that’s obvious

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Little chance he was sticking around after all he's experienced in his time there.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
Think he may end up regretting it, but didnt seem he really wanted to stay anyway.

Think he could have been a monster next year, especially with the spotlight off of AJ if he leaves

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Can’t he come back now with the new rules or am I thinking of basketball?

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Most of these usually look like the university helped them with the post. Stones does not look that way.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
Fuck you doug for getting my hopes up about AJE

Soda Popinski

Kelly Hilpiper
Reaction score
Geno got a stay in school grade. Hope he proves some mother fuckers wrong!

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Of fucking course! The one guy who should stay is the first to leave

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Fuck that hurts. You expect the guys like Epenesa, Wirfs, Fant, Hockensen. The unexpected guys hurt the depth. Good luck to him, he was fun to watch

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I have talked myself into Castro and/or Merriweather being really good. Bring it in!!!!

douglasbader

Reaction score
Fuck that hurts. You expect the guys like Epenesa, Wirfs, Fant, Hockensen. The unexpected guys hurt the depth. Good luck to him, he was fun to watch
Does it? I mean, sure, it technically does but Iowa lost Hooker/Nelson/Nelson/Hesse and ended up better. Iowa can replace Stone most likely with another great high level player.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I have talked myself into Castro and/or Merriweather being really good. Bring it in!!!!
Dane Belton or DJ Johnson might be in the mix as well.

There is a fuckload of talent. Phil Parker is hitting his prime as a coach. I thought he sort of sucked the first year he took over when Norm got sick, but it is undeniable that he is one of the best at developing DB talent.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I know everyone is already high on LaPorta being the next great Iowa TE, but watching the KO return by ISM in the Holiday Bowl and saw that LaPorta had a Kittle type moment.

There was a play either Kittle's freshman or I think sophomore year where someone else was returning a play for a TD or having a long TD on offense and the most memorable thing was that Kittle came out of nowhere flying past everyone. I remember most of Halo going "whoa" and thinking Kittle was really fast for a TE.

LaPorta on the KO by ISM had sort of the same thing. If you watch him on the play he is blocking and stumbles but when he starts running he blows past past a bunch of Iowa and USC skill players looking noticeably faster.

Bob

Reaction score
Geno got a stay in school grade. Hope he proves some mother fuckers wrong!
The only grades they give are first round, second round, and stay in school afaik so this doesn't necessarily mean he's expected to go undrafted. I doubt even he thinks he's going to go early.

I think he's fine. The big issues with him as far as the draft goes are all physical stuff which he isn't going to change with another year. He's a good enough football player to make it.

HoundedHawk

STILL LURKS BUT DELETED ALL OF HIS CONTENT
Reaction score

Last edited:

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score

mac50702

SuperUrkel
Reaction score
Was that the one that filled in for Stanley during the PSU game? If so, that guy was a spaz. Didn't want him anyway.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Purdue would be the place for a qb to transfer to. They are loaded at wr

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
He's going south. From Texas, his wife plays softball at a school down there somewhere. I'd be shocked if he doesn't end up in the state.

Pucker factor goes up with The two backups now being Padilla in his second year of the program and Deuce straight out of high school.