**Official 2020 Iowa Hawkeye Football Offseason Thread**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Lol. That’s what I thought. Is every senior doing one of these now?
Every senior. Every recruit. 2019 and this generation dictates that you must have a social post announcing something.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Shocking that they both are leaving.

It was the right decision for them, they're both special players and great representatives of Kirk's program at Iowa

Bob

Reaction score
Lol. That’s what I thought. Is every senior doing one of these now?
I dunno about every senior but it seems pretty common the last few years.

Stone's statement seemed pretty standard to me; I think people are trying really hard to force a narrative that isn't there with him.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I dunno about every senior but it seems pretty common the last few years.

Stone's statement seemed pretty standard to me; I think people are trying really hard to force a narrative that isn't there with him.
Nothing stands out from his statement when compared to others. I think it's pretty simple with Geno, he plays at a position that is tough on the body and the difference in draft position from this season to a senior season next year isn't worth another season of pounding on the body for free. Go ahead and get paid. This decision is similar in ways to Tyler Sash's years ago.

Floyd R

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Its a combination of a lot of things, but I bet deep down Kirk knows he missed a window the last 2 years to win the division.

Running game the last 2 years
Stanley being "inconsistent both years"
Play calling in a couple games etc.

The talent was there for more.
Having said that, they won 19 games which is excellent at a school like Iowa.
Like this?

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Stanley was a very good college QB, unfortunately he's not that type that can elevate a team higher than what their talent is. His personality doesn't really allow him to and there's nothing wrong with that.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Are you saying that second interception was Stanley's fault?
Noah Fant was a dipshit, but that pick is on Stanley. Stanley changed the play, which means Fant had to communicate that to the outside receiver. Stanley should also have checked that all teammates were ready. Since they weren't, instead of snapping the ball and throwing to a receiver who is clearly not ready for a pass or even looking at the LOS perhaps call use of the three timeouts.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Sounded like he wasn’t really progressing- maybe injuries were the reason why? Never a good thing to lose OL depth, but Iowa will survive

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
He was the most mystifying recruit to me. Blew up at the camps and had a lot of positive things written about him from national recruiting guys. I watched him play once and was incredibly unimpressed. Just a big kid playing against smaller kids, not the dominance I was expecting. Spoke to a couple people from his school district and they were kind of pessimistic in their thoughts.

Word on the street was he took some time away during the season, so I'm sure there's a mix of mental and physical issues that stepping away from football will help with. Nothing wrong with that, not everyone is made for D1 football. Best of luck to him in his studies and a happy life.

Bob

Reaction score
He was a true freshman, I don't know why everyone was expecting him to be playing right away anyway. I don't think there's any reason not to take him at his word about being injured or to speculate about his lack of mental toughness.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Too bad on Miller, but this will give them some flexibility eventually for grad transfers and maybe taking a shot on a couple of guys late in this signing period.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
If he would want to finish school...does he still keep the scholarship but not count against the limit?

Reaction score
Glad to see Hawkeyes getting to the NFL and elevating the program to a degree. At the same time, just a little frustrating we've had 7 early entrants the last two years and couldn't even get a conference title game appearance out of it. If that retarded row boater up north gets there soon I'll die a little inside.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
Glad to see Hawkeyes getting to the NFL and elevating the program to a degree. At the same time, just a little frustrating we've had 7 early entrants the last two years and couldn't even get a conference title game appearance out of it. If that retarded row boater up north gets there soon I'll die a little inside.
This is so confusing. Early entries are the reason a team like Iowa has a harder time reaching the conference finals. Any developmental type team (read: 20s-50s recruiting) is going to be hurt the most by early entries.

Reaction score
This is so confusing. Early entries are the reason a team like Iowa has a harder time reaching the conference finals. Any developmental type team (read: 20s-50s recruiting) is going to be hurt the most by early entries.
Meant a title appearance during their time here, obviously once they are gone it is harder going forward. Again just meant that we obviously had talent the last two years as evidenced by all the early entrants, so its frustrating that during the last two years we couldn't take advantage and get to Indy.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
Meant a title appearance during their time here, obviously once they are gone it is harder going forward. Again just meant that we obviously had talent the last two years as evidenced by all the early entrants, so its frustrating that during the last two years we couldn't take advantage and get to Indy.
But that's exactly what I mean. A program like Iowa can't afford to lose those guys. It isn't about the year they were here but the year they left when they could have played with the next set of early entry level guys. So a year (or two) with TJ, Fant, Hooker and Nelson playing with the 2019 versions of AJE, Wirfs, etc is where a program like Iowa historically has a good shot at a championship game.

Bob

Reaction score
All of those guys were on the team in 2018 when they didn't make it and it's not like AJ, Wirfs, and Stone just suddenly got good this season. It's okay to view that one as a missed opportunity.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
But that's exactly what I mean. A program like Iowa can't afford to lose those guys. It isn't about the year they were here but the year they left when they could have played with the next set of early entry level guys. So a year (or two) with TJ, Fant, Hooker and Nelson playing with the 2019 versions of AJE, Wirfs, etc is where a program like Iowa historically has a good shot at a championship game.
The team’s ceiling appeared to be exactly Stanley’s ceiling, which was very good, not great.

Reaction score
Imagine the '02 team without Clark, Steinbach, CJJ and maybe Fred Barr. Then take Bob and Gallery maybe Jared Claude off of the 2003 team.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
It sucks only Iowa has more underclassmen leaving than usual and not every other single program in college football

douglasbader

Reaction score
I think overall it is a net positive. Sure, if any of the 9 early entrants from the past 3 seasons had stayed then maybe Iowa wins the West one of those years. I think the real benefit is long term. Iowa is solidly on the map the last 2 years and this year. It has made getting players like the current TE recruits, some of the DL recruits and others to choose Iowa that wouldn't have.

If that keeps carrying over, even raising the recruiting ranking from the 40's to the 30's or high 20's is going to make a huge difference.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
I think overall it is a net positive. Sure, if any of the 9 early entrants from the past 3 seasons had stayed then maybe Iowa wins the West one of those years. I think the real benefit is long term. Iowa is solidly on the map the last 2 years and this year. It has made getting players like the current TE recruits, some of the DL recruits and others to choose Iowa that wouldn't have.

If that keeps carrying over, even raising the recruiting ranking from the 40's to the 30's or high 20's is going to make a huge difference.

Reaction score
Having offensive skill players who are good enough to leave early will make a difference obviously.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else saw it, but Harty tweeted that Oliver Martin had "officially" entered the transfer portal.

He's since deleted it.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
This could very well be possible but OM transfer rumors have literally happened every single off season. A bit unfortunate for the future, but I’m not sure what would change for him to all of the sudden get on the field next year. Even the year after is dicey with Tracy, Nico, and the other promising looking guys coming up. Hope it isn’t true though because I’d love to see him get a shot at returning punts if they aren’t going to let ISM do it

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
We all know pooper is now firmly ensconced

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I mean fuck. Imagine reporting something like this based on a couple of random callers into a radio show. No sources, desperate to break a story. Sad

fossilhawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Let's be real, the guys on the Hawkeye beat who have actual jobs aren't terrible.

Morehouse: good
Leistikow: good
Hlas: YMMV, but I like him

Pharty: Like Morehouse, but if you jammed a railroad tie through his face

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
At least Pat admitted to being wrong without being a douche for once