**Official 2020 Iowa Hawkeye Football Offseason Thread**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
He worded the followup tweet strangely, but my read is that he lied to everyone including Iowa about the back injury.
I don't think so. I think his first tweet was completely honest and transparent. He was struggling mentally and didn't want to play (also reports that Pollasek or however you spell his name was all over his ass) and Iowa helped him save face by declaring it a back issue as cover.

Now he has gotten to the point he wants to play again and tweeted out the truth this morning, but by doing that he also revealed that Iowa helped him cover. I'm sure that someone from the staff saw that and immediately contacted him and told him what a mistake that was and that he could get himself and Iowa into trouble.

He then makes the cover your ass tweets trying to cover up the cover up.

Ultimately it is something that Iowa did the "right" thing for the kid, but could get them in hot water with the NCAA. My guess is this was enough to satisfy everyone to move on and the NCAA has better things to worry about right now.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I don't think so. I think his first tweet was completely honest and transparent. He was struggling mentally and didn't want to play (also reports that Pollasek or however you spell his name was all over his ass) and Iowa helped him save face by declaring it a back issue as cover.

Now he has gotten to the point he wants to play again and tweeted out the truth this morning, but by doing that he also revealed that Iowa helped him cover. I'm sure that someone from the staff saw that and immediately contacted him and told him what a mistake that was and that he could get himself and Iowa into trouble.

He then makes the cover your ass tweets trying to cover up the cover up.

Ultimately it is something that Iowa did the "right" thing for the kid, but could get them in hot water with the NCAA. My guess is this was enough to satisfy everyone to move on and the NCAA has better things to worry about right now.
That's how I took it. He was burned out and struggling mentally so Iowa let him fabricate or exaggerate the back injury so he could keep his scholarship on a medical waiver, but he didn't realize that was something he shouldn't say.

douglasbader

Reaction score
That's how I took it. He was burned out and struggling mentally so Iowa let him fabricate or exaggerate the back injury so he could keep his scholarship on a medical waiver, but he didn't realize that was something he shouldn't say.
He was also the first recruit in that class and a huge cheerleader getting other guys to commit. Iowa did the right thing, the kid is doing the right thing, he just happened to pull the curtain back too far.

NCAA can't prove it and doesn't have the time to fuck with it.

douglasbader

Reaction score
This should be just a rock solid defense. Won't have the flash of Epenesa, but might be better overall.

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Lots of quality guys will have another year of experience under their belt on defense. Colbert and Gholston should be studs and I bet we’ll see a few others emerge. Nixon and Campbell are definitely candidates and I’d think at least one of the DBs will take a huge step forward.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
This year should tell the story, but it's now getting a bit crowded on the DL. Hopefully the new Urlacher, with Doyle playing the role of good teammate.
Urlacher was never the Cash model. Iowa is going the bigger corner route rather than the much bigger safety route.

Urlacher was always a meathead LB that grew into the position.

Even the previous bigger Hooker and Stone would never be confused for a 3-4 OLB, and Iowa is going smaller and teaching tackling fundamentals.

Imagine Des King as the Cash.

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score
I asked this earlier but got no replies. Maybe it was a dumb question. I’m wondering how the linemen will be able to maintain (or possibly gain) weight this offseason without the trading table and strength program.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Who is renewing their season tickets?

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
I asked this earlier but got no replies. Maybe it was a dumb question. I’m wondering how the linemen will be able to maintain (or possibly gain) weight this offseason without the trading table and strength program.
Sorry Kmurp. It’s going to start with eating exactly as many calories as they burn. If they want to gain weight they’ll have to eat even more.
Hope that helps

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I believe they’re still having zoom meetings with Doyle where he is giving them body weight exercises and diet recommendations.

I don’t think maintaining will be difficult. Gaining the right weight probably is.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
The ability of a given program to have kept its players engaged with strength and conditioning (and diet) is going to be super interesting.

I know Iowa made their best efforts to have their most 'at risk' players come back to ic during the pandemic... so they could be with teammates or have private workouts.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I’m still concerned about the end opposite Gholston. Not concerned about pass rush on obvious passing downs because Evans showed he can be solid in that situation. Just not sure who can hold the edge against Wisconsin.

I think tackle will be as good or better than last year.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I’m still concerned about the end opposite Gholston. Not concerned about pass rush on obvious passing downs because Evans showed he can be solid in that situation. Just not sure who can hold the edge against Wisconsin.

I think tackle will be as good or better than last year.
Logan Lee seems promising

Reaction score
I’ve read about them moving Waggoner to tackle but that seems less likely now that we have the transfer from NIU

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
What I'm hoping to see -

Early downs

Nixon - Shannon - Heflin - Gholston

Pass downs

Evans - Nixon - Heflin - Gholston

Reaction score
I’ve read about them moving Waggoner to tackle but that seems less likely now that we have the transfer from NIU
I think eventually they will, but they might be more hesitant to make those types of moves with the decrease in practice time.

It's encouraging to know that with the addition of Heflin, they now have 8 experienced players on the DL. It will be interesting to see if talented younger players like Lee, Craig and Jones are able to move ahead of some of the veteran guys. Bruce seems like an athletic freak, but he may need more work on technique before he's able to see the field on D.

SuperHans

Reaction score
I want to see an athlete inside that can get upfield on early downs.
Yeah I’m hopeful Heflin can be that guy, and I thought Shannon looked pretty athletic. I’m sure it’ll be a pretty heavy rotation regardless.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
Yeah I’m hopeful Heflin can be that guy, and I thought Shannon looked pretty athletic. I’m sure it’ll be a pretty heavy rotation regardless.
From my understanding, that’s not Heflin’s game. He’s a 320 pound ox that is going to take on double teams and beat the shit out of the interior OL all game. The hope should be that his presence allows Nixon to be that disruptive interior guy.

SuperHans

Reaction score
From my understanding, that’s not Heflin’s game. He’s a 320 pound ox that is going to take on double teams and beat the shit out of the interior OL all game. The hope should be that his presence allows Nixon to be that disruptive interior guy.
“Heflin led all MAC interior defenders in run tackles for no gain or less, but he wasn’t just a run-stuffing, one-dimensional player,” writes PFF’s Ben Linsey. “The big man showed some pass-rushing ability, as well. Heflin was one of only two interior defenders in the entire country with 200 or more pass-rushing snaps and a pressure rate of 15% or higher.”

Reaction score
Urlacher was never the Cash model. Iowa is going the bigger corner route rather than the much bigger safety route.

Urlacher was always a meathead LB that grew into the position.

Even the previous bigger Hooker and Stone would never be confused for a 3-4 OLB, and Iowa is going smaller and teaching tackling fundamentals.

Imagine Des King as the Cash.
Welllll, I'm certainly not suggesting Campbell as a Cash or safety. MLB or bust (DE if it doesn't work out). Thing is, the DL is getting loaded (on paper), so it really behooves him to be a good MLB.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Kinnick and it's 20,000 fans will love Heflin. He is an immediate difference maker for the defense.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
I’d much rather see Doyle move to DE than Campbell. Mainly cuz I am underwhelmed by Doyle. Campbell looks like a difference maker.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I think I feel as confident as I ever have in looking at every position group for both this year and the next 3-4 years and feeling pretty good. I don’t see any major deficits, other than needing to continue to find reliable kicking once Duncan graduates. Throw in Phil Parker and an experienced Brian and things could come together rather nicely. Kirk is set up nicely for one final run

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
I don’t often pick whipping boys, but when I do I’m usually right. We don’t need the next Mike Klinkenborg patrolling the middle for us in 2020 and beyond.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
I think I feel as confident as I ever have in looking at every position group for both this year and the next 3-4 years and feeling pretty good. I don’t see any major deficits, other than needing to continue to find reliable kicking once Duncan graduates. Throw in Phil Parker and an experienced Brian and things could come together rather nicely. Kirk is set up nicely for one final run
the upgrades in assistant coaches have been yuge