**Official 2020 Iowa Hawkeye Football Offseason Thread**

Wayne Rogers

Has Bad Ideas
Reaction score
Hawkeye ‘Haydenisms’: Recalling Hayden Fry’s 100 best quotes

Sorry to the those without a subscription, but this article brings up some funny memories. A few samples:

1. “I hope we didn’t hurt any of your boys,” Fry told Barnett. That comment was embellished by Barnett over the years and came to a head in 1995 when the once-downtrodden Wildcats were leading the Big Ten. They already had upset Notre Dame, Penn State and Michigan but they saved their angry taunts for Iowa, which by then had won 21 straight in the series. On the Monday of game week, Northwestern players initiated a war of words directed at the Hawkeyes. Instead of downplaying the rhetoric, Fry elevated it in his weekly news conference that Tuesday afternoon.
6. “I haven’t done anything to make them mad, except win. If that makes them mad, then they’re mad.”
15. After receiving congratulations from Iowa President Hunter Rawlings, Fry said: “I shake hands with this guy, and I’ve always got to check if I’ve still got my watch on.”

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I was only 10 at the time but I remember seeing the score of the Iowa-NW game in 1995 and not believing it. I know they were good, but I didn’t want to live in a world where Iowa actually lost to NW. Up to that point in my life Iowa had never lost to ISU or NW.

Looking at the 1995 results, wtf happened in that Illinois game? Illinois was 5-5-1 that year and won 26-7 in Kinnick.

thrawn

Reaction score
I was only 10 at the time but I remember seeing the score of the Iowa-NW game in 1995 and not believing it. I know they were good, but I didn’t want to live in a world where Iowa actually lost to NW. Up to that point in my life Iowa had never lost to ISU or NW.

Looking at the 1995 results, wtf happened in that Illinois game? Illinois was 5-5-1 that year and won 26-7 in Kinnick.
I was only 8 but have a memory of Simeon Rice and Kevin Hardy (#2 and #3 in the 1996 draft) being in the Iowa backfield on every play.

I had gone to my first Iowa game the year before where they killed Northwestern. I didn't watch anything before 1994, but there was no way Iowa should have lost to a team they once beat (IMO at the time).

thrawn

Reaction score
weird career arc for that Illinois coach (Lou Tepper). respectable major conference DC for a decade. Not good enough to be a major head coach, slightly under .500, not terrible. Gets a couple years as a DC at LSU but then is coaching DII in Pennsylvania in his 50s and 60s. Surprised he wasn't just floating around as a DC.

CamelTones

Reaction score
When my parents got divorced in 1993 my mom rented a house on Melrose. It’s the 3rd house directly west of the old Melrose Market (now Stellas). Blue house, north side of the road.

Up to that point I had gone to school at Bennett which didn’t have a football team, only baseball, basketball, volleyball and softball as stand alone sports. My dad didn’t watch sports so I didn’t actually know football existed.

I remember my mom got us tickets to an Iowa football game that was played in the big brick building down the road. Then we started parking cars and I was confused why people were cooking in our yard. I was even more confused why we went out to the parking lot at halftime when our seats were fine in the stadium. I actually think it was a humiliating loss to Illinois at home because the previous weeks I had gone to my dads for the weekend which added to the confusion.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
I was only 8 but have a memory of Simeon Rice and Kevin Hardy (#2 and #3 in the 1996 draft) being in the Iowa backfield on every play.

I had gone to my first Iowa game the year before where they killed Northwestern. I didn't watch anything before 1994, but there was no way Iowa should have lost to a team they once beat (IMO at the time).
I was a Soph at Iowa. Brought parents and GF parents up to watch Iowa play. We sat Row 1 N EZ the first 6 seats next to the band. I recommend that to no one. Fucking awful day. Best part was we could only see Rice and Hardy wreak havoc half the game due to the shitty seats.

thrawn

Reaction score
in 1993, Iowa (6–6) lost at home to 5–6 Illinois 49–3.
in 1994, Iowa (5–5–1) lost away to 7–5 Illinois 47–7.
in 1995, Iowa (8–4) lost at home to 5–5–1 Illinois 26–7.

that has to be the weirdest three-game stretch against any oppponent for Iowa. at least some of the bad outcomes to Iowa State were rivalry games. getting killed by mediocre Illlinois teams three straight years?

CamelTones

Reaction score

that has to be the weirdest three-game stretch against any oppponent for Iowa. at least some of the bad outcomes to Iowa State were rivalry games. getting killed by mediocre Illlinois teams three straight years?
116-17 over those 3 years to not great teams. Illinois went 17-16-1 in that stretch.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
When my parents got divorced in 1993 my mom rented a house on Melrose. It’s the 3rd house directly west of the old Melrose Market (now Stellas). Blue house, north side of the road.

Up to that point I had gone to school at Bennett which didn’t have a football team, only baseball, basketball, volleyball and softball as stand alone sports. My dad didn’t watch sports so I didn’t actually know football existed.

I remember my mom got us tickets to an Iowa football game that was played in the big brick building down the road. Then we started parking cars and I was confused why people were cooking in our yard. I was even more confused why we went out to the parking lot at halftime when our seats were fine in the stadium. I actually think it was a humiliating loss to Illinois at home because the previous weeks I had gone to my dads for the weekend which added to the confusion.
I still have nightmares (well not really) about the terrible lights they had at the baseball diamond.

The gym was a throwback though. It was awesome.
/ncsb

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score

Iowa was TERRIBLE in 93 and just ok in 94.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
I was at the 93 game. We got our ass kicked. The only thing that was exciting was our supposed stud, Willie Guy, suited up maybe for the first time ever? He was on KR and I kept thinking hopefully we’d see him break one because he sure had plenty of opportunities.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
O/U wins at 7.5

Gotta like the chance at 8 wins this year, don't we?

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
O/U wins at 7.5

Gotta like the chance at 8 wins this year, don't we?
I feel like even being extremely conservative with what I call a tossup game it's pretty easy to get to 8 wins.

Wins: UNI, ISU, Northern Illinois, MSU, NW
Tossups: at MN, at Illinois, Nebrantska, at Pur, Wisc
Losses: at OSU, at PSU

With Wisconsin and Nebrantska at home, an undefeated home slate seems well within reach. Then would just have to win one away game between MN, Purdue, and Illinois, to get to 8.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I still have nightmares (well not really) about the terrible lights they had at the baseball diamond.

The gym was a throwback though. It was awesome.
/ncsb
The gym is still there because they still use the school for K-6 and my uncle (former Principle) and cousin have keys to the place. It’s an awesome place to shoot around. I’ve always wanted to get some pickup games going there but it’s hard convincing people to drive to Bennett Iowa to play basketball.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
This year more than any Doyle is going to show his true value to the program. This is where having a strong, well organized, disciplined structure to your program might be the difference between 7 wins and 10+ wins.

I think about that series of tweets from the high school coach out in California at the Holiday Bowl that watched both teams warm up and was raving about how Iowa was a machine and USC was an undisciplined mess.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Yeah "injury" lists are going to be crazy to monitor.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Walked around the new end zone club. Nice but also pretty basic compared to other ones I’ve seen. Hard to say though until you see it on game day

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
The first positive case for any player is going to be a media circle jerk:

On the other hand, maybe they’ve learned that having sports is the only reason to have sports media.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I know the stadium is a piece of shit but I wish the Douche would have kept I’m the Holiday Bowl. The time slot with Gus and Joel calling it made it more enjoyable than the Outback Bowls.
I like that they got the Las Vegas Bowl / Charlotte / Arizona to replace it personally.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
I can’t fap to bowling in Charlotte, but I suppose some might love the NASCAR Hall of Fame. I’m personally meh on Vegas too, but I’m an ocean person.

Last edited:

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
I can’t fap to bowling in Charlotte, but I suppose some might Lomé the NASCAR Hall of Fame. I’m personally meh on Vegas too, but I’m an ocean person.
I would agree that Charlotte is a non-exciting destination.

It's a great place to live, but has few local attractions. Everyone who lives here heads to the mountains or the beach. If you're forced to seek attractions in Charlotte that consists of the NASCAR Hall of Fame (not as bad as you would think), Billy Graham Museum (I've never bothered to go there), and about 1435 craft breweries (have visited most of those).

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I can’t fap to bowling in Charlotte, but I suppose some might Lomé the NASCAR Hall of Fame. I’m personally meh on Vegas too, but I’m an ocean person.
For a week with the family, San Diego is better. For a short trip to watch a football game? Vegas in January is a pretty good deal.

thrawn

Reaction score
Redbox is the one I wish they had dumped. Iffy weather, expensive flights, hard to get to the stadium. Also if you wind up there, you probably lost 5+ games and are playing a team with 5+ losses.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
I would agree that Charlotte is a non-exciting destination.

It's a great place to live, but has few local attractions. Everyone who lives here heads to the mountains or the beach. If you're forced to seek attractions in Charlotte that consists of the NASCAR Hall of Fame (not as bad as you would think), Billy Graham Museum (I've never bothered to go there), and about 1435 craft breweries (have visited most of those).
The Whitewater Rafting Center looks like a good time. I have had my eye on it several times, but my trips to Charlotte have always been too short or the weather has been shitty.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
The Whitewater Rafting Center looks like a good time. I have had my eye on it several times, but my trips to Charlotte have always been too short or the weather has been shitty.
Ah, oversight on my part.

That’s a good day for those who enjoy rafting, climbing, ropes (not the BBK kind), zip lines, etc.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Ah, oversight on my part.

That’s a good day for those who enjoy rafting, climbing, ropes (not the BBK kind), zip lines, etc.
It’s a fuckin riot, in my opinion. My family lives close to it and we spend at least one day there every visit. It’s like a nature amusement park.

Crowds can be an issue, of course.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
It’s a fuckin riot, in my opinion. My family lives close to it and we spend at least one day there every visit. It’s like a nature amusement park.

Crowds can be an issue, of course.
Now that my kids are older, this is the kind of thing we like to do when we travel.

thrawn

Reaction score
Also about 7 home games, since Iowa State basically rotates home/away with the fixed crossover game (Penn State now, Rutgers next).

I wonder what the net revenue hit for playing in one of the ESPN neutral site games would be. With the crossover going from Pedo to Rutgers and the division schedule generally backloaded, Iowa runs the risk of not playing a nationally relevant game until November some years.

playing Wisconsin in September feels offensive but may be necessary.

castichawk24

Is Well Liked Here
Reaction score
I feel like even being extremely conservative with what I call a tossup game it's pretty easy to get to 8 wins.

Wins: UNI, ISU, Northern Illinois, MSU, NW
Tossups: at MN, at Illinois, Nebrantska, at Pur, Wisc
Losses: at OSU, at PSU

With Wisconsin and Nebrantska at home, an undefeated home slate seems well within reach. Then would just have to win one away game between MN, Purdue, and Illinois, to get to 8.
I'm fucking TRIGGERED! that you put Nebrantska in the tougher opponent category. They suck donkey dong. They belong in that wins list. Fuck you, Mikey. XOXO