**Official 2020 Iowa Hawkeye Football Offseason Thread**

fossilhawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The players, above all else, have a statute of limitations problem. Any analysis beyond that is premature, IMO.
Bingo. With regard to statutes of limitation, the literal best case scenario for these plaintiffs leaves Mends as the only Title VI claimant and Wadley/Joly/Parker/Mends as the only 1981 claims. (Even then, Mends is so close to the statute that, if they filed tomorrow, he would only have a three-month window in which to allege discriminatory acts. Anything happening prior to two years from his date of filing would get tossed by SoL issues for Title VI purposes.)

More importantly, to even get to 1981 you have to allege the existence of a contractual relationship. The only real contractual relationship these players had under current law was the offer and acceptance of a scholarship, and there's no way you can claim discrimination on that piece. You would be forced to argue that the players were employees of the University somehow to successfully plead a 1981 claim, which opens up its own can of worms (and which the NLRB basically rejected in 2015 when Northwestern football players tried to unionize.)

The best case scenario for the plaintiffs is basically as described above, where you get 4 of the 8 through SoLs on 1981 and only 1 of the eight through on Title VI. Once you get that hurdle cleared, the 1981 claims are vulnerable based on the nature of the relationship, leaving potentially Mends' Title VI claim as the only one remaining.

If they can get past the SOL/employment relationship questions and into discovery, it'll be settled before Joel Lanning can realize that Wadley faked him out of his shorts again. But based on current law, they likely will not survive pre-trial motions.

Reaction score
Bingo. With regard to statutes of limitation, the literal best case scenario for these plaintiffs leaves Mends as the only Title VI claimant and Wadley/Joly/Parker/Mends as the only 1981 claims. (Even then, Mends is so close to the statute that, if they filed tomorrow, he would only have a three-month window in which to allege discriminatory acts. Anything happening prior to two years from his date of filing would get tossed by SoL issues for Title VI purposes.)

More importantly, to even get to 1981 you have to allege the existence of a contractual relationship. The only real contractual relationship these players had under current law was the offer and acceptance of a scholarship, and there's no way you can claim discrimination on that piece. You would be forced to argue that the players were employees of the University somehow to successfully plead a 1981 claim, which opens up its own can of worms (and which the NLRB basically rejected in 2015 when Northwestern football players tried to unionize.)

The best case scenario for the plaintiffs is basically as described above, where you get 4 of the 8 through SoLs on 1981 and only 1 of the eight through on Title VI. Once you get that hurdle cleared, the 1981 claims are vulnerable based on the nature of the relationship, leaving potentially Mends' Title VI claim as the only one remaining.

If they can get past the SOL/employment relationship questions and into discovery, it'll be settled before Joel Lanning can realize that Wadley faked him out of his shorts again. But based on current law, they likely will not survive pre-trial motions.
This is why no one should put two seconds of thought into the story that ran on Hawk Central. Some Hawkeye beat writer asking questions of two attorneys is meaningless. Those attorneys are free to opine without credible challenge to claims, and without being forced to address issues like the SoL hurdle. Instead, they get to run with a chosen narrative, unchecked. As a journalist, it is borderline irresponsible to do a story like that, where you have zero expertise to offer credible questioning.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Iowa didn’t document anything with Meyer because they looked the other way on same sex relationships in the AD for decades. Being progressive came back to bite them.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I assume you meant to say that in reference to player coach/administrator relationships.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
This is why no one should put two seconds of thought into the story that ran on Hawk Central. Some Hawkeye beat writer asking questions of two attorneys is meaningless. Those attorneys are free to opine without credible challenge to claims, and without being forced to address issues like the SoL hurdle. Instead, they get to run with a chosen narrative, unchecked. As a journalist, it is borderline irresponsible to do a story like that, where you have zero expertise to offer credible questioning.
The Judge has spoken, throw that shit out!

Last edited:

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

I was just going to post this.

thrawn

Reaction score
I watch college football, because I can't stand the politics often associated with the NFL. Just give me some football to escape the crap show that is out there.

Now, we've got an Iowa football helmet with Black Lives Matter on the back. That's a racist, anti nuclear family, police hating organization. That's really not good.

I don't mind the words "Together," or "Love" or even if some weird decal. After all, I've got a weird one on mine in my avatar

But I really don't feel like watching something that politicized. It takes joy out for me, and that's why I watch. Yeah, I'm done watching until that is off Hawkeye helmets.
Iowa has a political sticker that is a beloved school tradition

Last edited:

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I watch college football, because I can't stand the politics often associated with the NFL. Just give me some football to escape the crap show that is out there.

Now, we've got an Iowa football helmet with Black Lives Matter on the back. That's a racist, anti nuclear family, police hating organization. That's really not good.

I don't mind the words "Together," or "Love" or even if some weird decal. After all, I've got a weird one on mine in my avatar

But I really don't feel like watching something that politicized. It takes joy out for me, and that's why I watch. Yeah, I'm done watching until that is off Hawkeye helmets.
I predict you won't be done posting though.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score

Go fuck yourself you stupid piece of shit. No one gives a fuck if you watch Iowa football games or not. Good riddance, snowflake.

Last edited:

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score

I hope you never watch another second of Iowa football, or support the Hawkeyes in any other way.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
I hope you never watch another second of Iowa football, or support the Hawkeyes in any other way.
Up to and including posting on a message board based on the Hawkeyes.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
If it wasn’t for 20 years of fucking up end of half situations, I would assume Petras just messed up the call that came in.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
hey @LifterHawk how about you make a post or two before you start throwing bows, you lurking bitch-ass motherfucker
My guess is that it is Loog or similar. Registered in 2010 and called LifterHawk and never posted.

That screams alt from someone that has been banned. Oh, also bowing stuff about banning Xtri and Hounded, so another clue.