**Official 2021 Iowa Football Off-Season Thread**

Reaction score
OU was #29 nationally last year in points and yards allowed per game. That would have been 5th in the B10 on both measures.

Ohio St. ranked 43rd and 59th in those categories, for reference.
Admittedly, they got better toward the end of the season (playing crappy Kansas and Baylor teams always helps too) and their bowl game against FLA was good.

And OSU's defense was terrible last year....the worst one I ever remember seeing from them.

Lee Beevers

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
And I will certainly be betting Iowa on the moneyline for this matchup on the gridiron.

I was promised tickets by my tavern clone Iowa alumnus buddy if anyone wants to have their backs touched gently.

Reaction score
OU was #29 nationally last year in points and yards allowed per game. That would have been 5th in the B10 on both measures.

Ohio St. ranked 43rd and 59th in those categories, for reference.
1). OSU had a harder SOS. Depending on the site you look at, MUCH harder.

2). In a conference that just produced double the amount of NFL talent

thrawn

Reaction score
It’s pretty hard to make any comparisons across conferences last year, particularly for any specific unit. 1/4 of Ohio State’s schedule last year were CFP games.

Oklahoma may be preseason #1, but I bet they would be a betting underdog to Alabama.

Iowa State deserves to be preseason top 10, but I don’t think they will end up there. I don’t think 2020 will be as anywhere near as informative for 2021 as last year usually is. Everyone had to deal with covid and covid-related bullshit, but a good response was disproportionately useful. Iowa State seemed like they handled it really well and credit to them, but I don’t think they’ll gain that kind of edge next year, which could be the difference between 8th and 18th.

Last edited:

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
Personally I would like to see iowa States expectations as high as possible, so we can mock them when they do not reach them, like they do with Fran.
From Cy Fan in response to this article.

I know it is still so far away, but Nov. 20 in Norman is going to be massive. There is a potential to have both teams at 10-0 heading into that matchup. If that was the case, it would also be a near guarantee of a rematch in Dallas two weeks later.

There is even an outside shot that the Big 12 has two 12-1 teams, and their only losses are to each other. Should that happen, the discourse around the playoff will be insane.

thrawn

Reaction score
If they’re both 10-0, the game *isn’t* massive, thanks to the dumb Big 12 title game system. It’s actually nearly irrelevant, because the real prize would be two weeks later. (That’s a system problem, not an Iowa State problem.)

Reaction score
From Cy Fan in response to this article.

I know it is still so far away, but Nov. 20 in Norman is going to be massive. There is a potential to have both teams at 10-0 heading into that matchup. If that was the case, it would also be a near guarantee of a rematch in Dallas two weeks later.

There is even an outside shot that the Big 12 has two 12-1 teams, and their only losses are to each other. Should that happen, the discourse around the playoff will be insane.
And the correct response from the CFP would be “fuck your Arena league football. One of you gets in. We’ll see the loser in San Antonio.”

Reaction score
Depends on Petras, really
There seem to be a lot of "Petras is improved" comments from practice goers (and, of course, he is a "great leader"), but he didn't show any ability to complete anything beyond short stuff in two public scrimmages.

I watched Howe's May 1 vids with pen in hand. I had Petras at 14-25 and Padilla at 13-23. I also marked down where the receivers caught the completions relative to the LOS.

Of Petras' 14 completions, 10 were in the 0-5 yard range (2-3 of those were behind the line), 3 were in the 5-10 range and one was in the 10-20 range. Lots of TE screens and underneath to RB stuff.

Of Padilla's 13 completions, 4 were in the 0-5 range, 2 were in the 5-10 range, 5 were in the 10-20 range and 2 were in the 20+ range.

Petras was intercepted int by Moss and had a near pick 6 by Jermari Harris.

Maybe Spence will summon the magic when the red light is on, but if your QB isn't completing downfield throws and can't make first downs with his feet, you better be pretty physically superior to your opponent. You're playing with one hand behind your back in the name of "leadership".

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
There seem to be a lot of "Petras is improved" comments from practice goers (and, of course, he is a "great leader"), but he didn't show any ability to complete anything beyond short stuff in two public scrimmages.

I watched Howe's May 1 vids with pen in hand. I had Petras at 14-25 and Padilla at 13-23. I also marked down where the receivers caught the completions relative to the LOS.

Of Petras' 14 completions, 10 were in the 0-5 yard range (2-3 of those were behind the line), 3 were in the 5-10 range and one was in the 10-20 range. Lots of TE screens and underneath to RB stuff.

Of Padilla's 13 completions, 4 were in the 0-5 range, 2 were in the 5-10 range, 5 were in the 10-20 range and 2 were in the 20+ range.

Maybe Spence will summon the magic when the red light is on, but if your QB isn't completing downfield throws and can't make first downs with his feet, you better be pretty physically superior to your opponent. You're playing with one hand behind your back in the name of "leadership".
Good lord, find a hobby

Greg Obrecht

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

RiotFan

Needs to GFH
Reaction score

TYFYS

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
It was windy AF Saturday.

Padilla reminds me a lot of early Rudock. Which might be good enough to beat Spence, but he clearly lacks arm strength. He threw a couple balls in the dirt too.

Floyd R

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Padilla was average, and Petras was about the same on Saturday. An average throw followed by a few turds... Deuce did not impress either and is a ways behind the others so it could be a frustrating offense once again this fall.

L. Wade Childress

Has no idea what you are asking
Reaction score
Petras will be better, but yeah it is disappointing to see our best “on paper” qb recruiting in a long time not yield immediate results

Reaction score
Petras will be better, but yeah it is disappointing to see our best “on paper” qb recruiting in a long time not yield immediate results
Or any results. KOK needs to fucking retire. As shitty as GDGD was at calling plays, he at least ended up with some good QB recruits.