**Official 2021 Iowa Football Off-Season Thread**

douglasbader

Posts “Hawks by a million” on Facebook
Reaction score
I mean, these are the same allegations that had Kirk Ferentz shaking his head in anger and spitting on the ground when he heard a car full of black kids playing loud music. The same ones that had $4m per year head coach Kirk Ferentz cutting off a food card and forcing his star RB to call his mommy at 11pm for pizza money.

Alan Lomax

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The problem here is that the vast majority of what he was accused of is very likely made up bullshit. If he comes out and accepts responsibility for any of it, he has to for all of it and that would be insane to do.

I think he was ultimately guilty of being an insensitive meat head dick that got too comfortable. I don't think he was some crazy racist spewing shit everywhere.
He said that the independent review would exonerate him as he denied being racist in his actions. The opposite happened, and he’s done nothing to show that he has a different understanding. Had he released his letter saying “I’ve made mistakes and I’ll take into account what the independent review says and work on them.” Then I’d agree he should get a shot now. He went beyond that and said he never did anything racist and doesn’t tolerate racism. Well, he did, and he does. He just doesn’t understand it.

Alan Lomax

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I mean, these are the same allegations that had Kirk Ferentz shaking his head in anger and spitting on the ground when he heard a car full of black kids playing loud music. The same ones that had $4m per year head coach Kirk Ferentz cutting off a food card and forcing his star RB to call his mommy at 11pm for pizza money.
I guess I’m not even really thinking about those things as much. I thought it was made pretty clear Doyle is an asshole bully who sometimes uses racist tropes to bully players and “get them in line” and he had to go. Doyle took some responsibility for that, but then flatly denied the allegations of racism saying the independent report would prove him right. That didn’t happen. So he did whatever then a coaching buddy offered him a job 8 months later. I get hating on the woke media and largely agree, and they have and will continue to over play the hand. However, with the larger point they aren’t wrong.

The University of Iowa and Kirk Ferentz held Doyle accountable, Doyle needs to take responsibility and in this case I think it does need to be public given the public nature of his denial.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding
Reaction score
The problem here is that the vast majority of what he was accused of is very likely made up bullshit. If he comes out and accepts responsibility for any of it, he has to for all of it and that would be insane to do.

I think he was ultimately guilty of being an insensitive meat head dick that got too comfortable. I don't think he was some crazy racist spewing shit everywhere.
This is 100% correct but you aren't going to convince the SJW who love to glom onto stories like these.

Greg Obrecht

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I guess I’m not even really thinking about those things as much. I thought it was made pretty clear Doyle is an asshole bully who sometimes uses racist tropes to bully players and “get them in line” and he had to go. Doyle took some responsibility for that, but then flatly denied the allegations of racism saying the independent report would prove him right. That didn’t happen. So he did whatever then a coaching buddy offered him a job 8 months later. I get hating on the woke media and largely agree, and they have and will continue to over play the hand. However, with the larger point they aren’t wrong.

The University of Iowa and Kirk Ferentz held Doyle accountable, Doyle needs to take responsibility and in this case I think it does need to be public given the public nature of his denial.
Maybe you should contact Chris to let him know what actions you feel he needs to take in order to satisfy the mob. Jump, Chris, jump.

Alan Lomax

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Maybe you should contact Chris to let him know what actions you feel he needs to take in order to satisfy the mob. Jump, Chris, jump.
Tough shit, grow up and take responsibility for your actions, or go fuck yourself. Seems like Chris is choosing the latter, I’m fine with that.

Alan Lomax

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
You’re fucking weird.
Well, yeah.

But thinking people in public positions who are shown to be asshole bullies with racist tendencies should take responsibility isn’t one of my weirder takes. This isn’t the woke mob going after joe blow high school coach who’s just trying to live a peaceful little life.

He could easily have this job if after the independent review came out he issued a statement taking responsibility and saying he’s working on it. Pretty much the exact same action he took when the allegations came out, except accepting the independent review and taking responsibility. He chose not to.

Greg Obrecht

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
You’re wrong. Here’s the ESPN headline if Chris came out and took responsibility for his actions......”Jags, Meyer, add self admitted racist to their staff.” Do you honestly think Chris will ever get another opportunity regardless of how contrite he is?

Alan Lomax

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
You’re wrong. Here’s the ESPN headline if Chris came out and took responsibility for his actions......”Jags, Meyer, add self admitted racist to their staff.” Do you honestly think Chris will ever get another opportunity regardless of how contrite he is?
Yes I do.

So far the only test case we have is completely not contrite Chris Doyle like six months after being shown as an asshole bully with racist tendencies. Maybe he should try contrite on for size and see if it suits him.

I get the desire to blame this on the woke mob, but Doyle made this bed himself. There are a million different ways this could have played out, in the vast majority of them the woke mob attacks, and in a huge number of those the jags can say “fuck off, he gets a second chance because he’s taken responsibility and done x, y, z.”

L. Wade Childress

Has no idea what you are asking
Reaction score
Unfortunately what a lot of folks don’t understand is it will never “be enough” for these “people”. It’s a truly deranged and hysterical ideology and they are giving this kind of power for no other reason than institutional cowardice. No one has to listen to these people. But everyone is such a pussy they’ll give them what they want because they think it will make them go away.

All they care about is scoring points on social media. If they were truly “liberal” they would want a guy like Doyle to learn from his mistakes and come out the other side “better”. A success story to so they can laud how urbane and sophisticated they are.

The lesson here is never take accountability and never apologize because there’s no point. Great message. Good job.
It wouldn’t be particularly hard to discredit all the Uber woke journalists. Everyone has skeletons. But there’s basically no balancing force within the entire system.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Yes I do.

So far the only test case we have is completely not contrite Chris Doyle like six months after being shown as an asshole bully with racist tendencies. Maybe he should try contrite on for size and see if it suits him.

I get the desire to blame this on the woke mob, but Doyle made this bed himself. There are a million different ways this could have played out, in the vast majority of them the woke mob attacks, and in a huge number of those the jags can say “fuck off, he gets a second chance because he’s taken responsibility and done x, y, z.”
I appreciate your consistency. It's kinda sad to see some of the ultra woke HaLo types trip over themselves defending Doyle. (and ftr I dont believe he's racist)

Reaction score
Honestly, in retrospect, I don't understand why so many here aren't *angrier* at Doyle, and not just because of the casual racism.

Hindsight makes it fairly obvious that a lot of the the bullshit union card system for playing time came from Doyle playing favorites and Ferentz trusting him too much. (See e.g. Dillon Doyle, workout star and on-the-field blocking sled who got run in front of *Jack Campbell*; Bo Bower, the single dumbest human being I have ever seen play Iowa football (on a team that included Jonathan Parker!) who played in front of Cole Fisher, Aaron Mends, and others, and Damon Bullock (RIP), who won us one game against NIU and was content to jog stretch plays to the boundary for the rest of his career ahead of guys like Canzeri and Wadley).

Ferentz trusted Doyle way too much after 2002 - understandably so - and it made the program worse.

I for one thank him for helping build Iowa football, but I'm not unhappy he's gone. He ended up becoming a detriment to the program, and he needed to be cut loose.

JR Hawks

Receives State Appropriations
Reaction score
This maybe true for some people, but that number is incredibly small. As a nation we by and large love a comeback story almost as much as we love the original tear down story.

There’s no evidence that Doyle has done anything in terms of growing or making things right. He’s simply stayed breathing, and a coaching buddy offered him a job. He needs to put in some effort to show growth happened and another opportunity is warranted. Take a class, say you’re sorry, something. He acted like a dick, took no responsibility, and got offered a job. The lesson here is don’t do that.
You're incredibly naive if you think this nation likes a comeback more than the tear down.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Doyle could say he was insensitive. But doing so would basically be seen as admitting he’s racist to these people. They would have wrote the same shit when the Jags announced his hiring. Rob Howe has tried for 10 years to get a DJK story out there.

Doyle is an asshole. I’m not defending anything he did. The bigger issue is people like Wolken, Spain and Auerbach having the type of power to influence these types of hires. They should not be allowed to determine who does and does not get a second chance.

But it also goes beyond that. They pushed a narrative of unsafe and potentially deadly consequences to athletes if sports were played all year. There is no consequence to them if they’re wrong because they just move on to the next story and pretend anything they wrote previously doesn’t exist anymore. They’re then protected by the sports writing echo chamber if anyone calls them out on their bullshit.

Alan Lomax

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
You're incredibly naive if you think this nation likes a comeback more than the tear down.
I agree, it would be naive to think we like comebacks as much as tear downs. And I’d also agree it isn’t “almost” close. However, we do like comeback stories, to what degree I don’t know.

JR Hawks

Receives State Appropriations
Reaction score
In another show of extreme naivety, Alan continues to forget that Doyle is a party to a lawsuit...a lawsuit that was clearly coming prior to the report being put out.

Alan Lomax

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
In another show of extreme naivety, Alan continues to forget that Doyle is a party to a lawsuit...a lawsuit that was clearly coming prior to the report being put out.
This is another reason why he’s not entitled to a job right now. The good Ole boys coaching circle should be called the fuck out on this.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
This is another reason why he’s not entitled to a job right now. The good Ole boys coaching circle should be called the fuck out on this.
Someone is not entitled to a job because they are involved in a lawsuit?

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
I believe we can refer to Doyle as “former Jacksonville assistant coach Chris Doyle” now though, so we’ve got that going for us, which is good.

Alan Lomax

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Someone is not entitled to a job because they are involved in a lawsuit?
when they get fired for the issues that the lawsuit is about? And the job is similar in nature? Yeah. I’d say the jags made an unforced error and Doyle shouldn’t be considered for any strength and conditioning job until he shows he’s contrite and changed.

And with the lawsuit. Ferentz is a defendant on that too, yet he’s managed to be contrite, admit mistakes, and vow to fix them. When media comes after him I defend him, I think he’s exactly who should lead iowa through this, and that he can coach until he drops dead on the sideline if he chooses. I agree the sports media largely sucks and hasn’t had any accountability in this last year, I just think the same is true for Doyle and taking responsibility. He hasn’t, and there shouldn’t be a bunch of whiney hand wringing that oh no he can’t get the job he wanted. Tough shit, if he’s not going to take responsibility I’m glad that there’s organizations like the Fritz Pollard Alliance to hold him accountable.

HE made this bed, and yeah there are bullshit accusations from shitbags. There’s also real ones from people who are successful and respected.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
We must believe all people that say something negative about someone else
Lol. Even the things that were actually alleged weren't career- ending worthy, given his role.

Rolo Tomassi

Friend to All Small Animals
Reaction score
His only chance is if someone hires him as an assistant strength coach and doesn’t announce it.
Either that or he gets hired by someone with balls who isn't intimidated by the woke crowd.

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
The idea of deciding whether or not someone is “entitled” to a job is legitimately weird to me.

Obviously the guy should work. And I don’t think anyone would object to him working at Starbucks for $12/hour. But play this out. Is the issue that he’s still in the same role? What if he took a scouting or administrative job for some NFL team?

Is it football he has to stay away from? Would they be okay with him getting a VP job at some sales company? Is that too much money? So is it a dollar threshold he’s not entitled to? Where’s the cutoff?

I know I’m overthinking it but really when you actually try to define what job he is and isn’t “entitled” to then it highlights how weird the idea is.

Greg Obrecht

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The idea of deciding whether or not someone is “entitled” to a job is legitimately weird to me.

Obviously the guy should work. And I don’t think anyone would object to him working at Starbucks for $12/hour. But play this out. Is the issue that he’s still in the same role? What if he took a scouting or administrative job for some NFL team?

Is it football he has to stay away from? Would they be okay with him getting a VP job at some sales company? Is that too much money? So is it a dollar threshold he’s not entitled to? Where’s the cutoff?

I know I’m overthinking it but really when you actually try to define what job he is and isn’t “entitled” to then it highlights how weird the idea is.
You don’t have the secret decoder ring?

douglasbader

Reaction score

You aren't overthinking it at all. This is exactly how crazy this whole scenario really is.

The answer here is likely they want him out of the Football industry completely. They likely want him out of any position where he has any sort of power or interacts with subordinates.

In reality, they might be fine with him having some sort of job as long as they don't find out. If they do find out, then they immediately must object and do at least a half ass job of letting the public know that someone hired him and that company should be avoided and shamed.

This is why I say that Doyle's only real chance at working again would be to create an LLC where he can consult but it is hidden well enough that people wouldn't know or he hires on to a company or school that is more than fine telling the woke twitter crowd to fuck off. It usually means some shitty TrumpTard type place like Liberty or a private religious high school.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Hell, look what the twitter crowd tried to do to anyone that even said something positive about Doyle getting hired by Jacksonville.

Rob Howe started going through those comments and re-tweeting them like he did with Austin Blythe. The only thing he said was something like "Heck yea! Jacksonville got a good one!" and that was enough for Howe to imply to his followers that they should go after Blythe and try to shame him.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Holy shit I just went through Robs Twitter account to see how responded to the Doyle/Jags announcement. Good lord.

Alan Lomax

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I don’t think his case is all that difficult. It seems the assumption was the good old boys coaching network could operate with impunity.

If the Jags wanted to deal with the shit that is hanging over him he’d have a job. The Jags could have easily been proactive here as well, but Urban has known him for 20 years so that seemed to be enough for them apparently. If Doyle handled the situation he put himself in with a fraction of the class and character that Kirk did, he’d have the job. People are fucking babies about cancel culture when the issue is his personality, decision making, and a total lack of responsibility taking.

I know we’re in covid time, but it’s only been eight months since he got fired for being an asshole bully with racist tendencies. The claims that “he’ll never be able to get a job, it’s so unfair” ring a tad hallow to me. The only statement I’ve seen from him is a denial and confidence that an independent review would exonerate him. That review confirmed he’s an asshole bully with racist tendencies. Maybe privately he’s done a bunch of reflection, but his denial was public responsibility taking needs to be as well. That’s how the world works.

I can understand if one thinks he did nothing wrong, or that all the claims made against him are made up, thinking there should be no heat around the good old boys coaching network picking him up. I think he was wrong, and he did wrong, and he has taken no responsibility for it at all. That’s not cancel culture.

Fair and Balanced

Calls Soda “Coke”
Reaction score
Hell, look what the twitter crowd tried to do to anyone that even said something positive about Doyle getting hired by Jacksonville.

Rob Howe started going through those comments and re-tweeting them like he did with Austin Blythe. The only thing he said was something like "Heck yea! Jacksonville got a good one!" and that was enough for Howe to imply to his followers that they should go after Blythe and try to shame him.
No one in Jax gives a shit about the tweets from local Iowa dorks.

Last edited:

douglasbader

Reaction score
I don’t think his case is all that difficult. It seems the assumption was the good old boys coaching network could operate with impunity.

If the Jags wanted to deal with the shit that is hanging over him he’d have a job. The Jags could have easily been proactive here as well, but Urban has known him for 20 years so that seemed to be enough for them apparently. If Doyle handled the situation he put himself in with a fraction of the class and character that Kirk did, he’d have the job. People are fucking babies about cancel culture when the issue is his personality, decision making, and a total lack of responsibility taking.

I know we’re in covid time, but it’s only been eight months since he got fired for being an asshole bully with racist tendencies. The claims that “he’ll never be able to get a job, it’s so unfair” ring a tad hallow to me. The only statement I’ve seen from him is a denial and confidence that an independent review would exonerate him. That review confirmed he’s an asshole bully with racist tendencies. Maybe privately he’s done a bunch of reflection, but his denial was public responsibility taking needs to be as well. That’s how the world works.

I can understand if one thinks he did nothing wrong, or that all the claims made against him are made up, thinking there should be no heat around the good old boys coaching network picking him up. I think he was wrong, and he did wrong, and he has taken no responsibility for it at all. That’s not cancel culture.
Are you under the impression that he can actually talk about anything that happened at Iowa? It seems you might be unaware he isn't legally allowed to say anything publicly about it.

Even beyond that, your entire premise relies on the thinking that this is about some arbitrary time frame and once some undetermined acceptable time frame is reached then people would be ok with him getting a job.

It is very very clear that would never be the case. The people like yourself would be crying and demanding his job if this happened after 8 months or 5 years.

douglasbader

Reaction score
You also act like he hasn't suffered any consequences for what happened at Iowa.

He lost his job, millions of dollars in future earnings, his reputation, opportunity to coach his son, his kid had to transfer 1,000+ miles away and now it seems that he will not be able to obtain any future employment.

I don't even like Doyle. I think he is very likely a meathead asshole white guy that said some shit he thought was ok or funny but really isn't on any level. I also don't think he will repeat these mistakes and is capable and worthy of getting another shot.

Another very vocal group clearly thinks he should never get another chance in his profession.

It's bullshit.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
The good old boys coaching network is employing him because he's great at his job. I guess the question is: Is it worth hiring an asshole that does a great job, or a great guy that's good at his job?

There are plenty of industries and occupations that will take the asshole.

Reaction score
The good old boys coaching network is employing him because he's great at his job. I guess the question is: Is it worth hiring an asshole that does a great job, or a great guy that's good at his job?

There are plenty of industries and occupations that will take the asshole.
This is 100% true. Especially with construction. I know guys that got fired for doing worse shit than Doyle that bubble back to the surface at another company after a couple months, and in many cases end up back at the places they were fired from eventually. In some cases their new company even gives them a huge relocation package.

As it turns out brining in projects on schedule and under budget absolves a lot of sins.

Gushawk

DGAFIAP
Reaction score
I’m relatively sure the topic came up and he gave decent answers about it during his interview. I’m not sure that being more publicly repentant would help him a ton right now, or would have saved him here. I’m also glad he’s gone from Iowa, and think Doug has accurately described his near term employment prospects - likely private schools of a “culturally conservative” bent. If he does well at one, his prospects will be better in a few years.

thrawn

Reaction score
I’m relatively sure the topic came up and he gave decent answers about it during his interview. I’m not sure that being more publicly repentant would help him a ton right now, or would have saved him here. I’m also glad he’s gone from Iowa, and think Doug has accurately described his near term employment prospects - likely private schools of a “culturally conservative” bent. If he does well at one, his prospects will be better in a few years.
I also think there are a bunch of NFL coaches who could have hired him, but Urb as the guy who ignored the wife beater assistant isn’t the guy.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I also think there are a bunch of NFL coaches who could have hired him, but Urb as the guy who ignored the wife beater assistant isn’t the guy.
I actually agree with Kakert on this topic, if Dan Campbell and Detroit would have hired him he probably has a job.

Reaction score
I think one also needs to consider how his past and current reputation would inhibit his ability to do his job, especially in the NFL where he would be coaching confident, adult men who make more $ than he does. Knowing what he was accused of at Iowa, I wonder if any current Black Jaguars players contacted ownership/management to tell them not to hire him. If I put myself in their shoes, I would be pretty pissed if a guy with his history was hired.