**Official 2021 Iowa Football Off-Season Thread**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
The grad transfers usually happen after the signing period in February. Should start seeing who they go after in about a month.

I would guess a couple DL and a RB will be the main targets. I would say a WR, but they honestly likely won't get anyone that can make an impact and think a couple of the young guys are going to play early and be really good. Keegan Johnson for sure.

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I'm sure it was his lingering major injury, but he was bad in the few games he played.
My daughter had a class with him last spring. Said he was the dumbest human she had ever met.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
My daughter had a class with him last spring. Said he was the dumbest human she had ever met.
Yeah but abortion er I mean he can really shoot a basketball

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
This is the first time I looked at the 2021 schedule. It looks....weird. The home schedule absolutely blows. We need to get off of this rotation where WI/ISU/NE are all in the same year.

I don’t know, Indiana, Penn State, Minnesota seems pretty solid. That week one game against Indiana needs to be a night game. Both teams should be right around the preseason top 15.

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Phil Parker and staff usually find and develop guys. He’s earned the benefit of the doubt.

Man landed on moon analysis but really good Iowa teams have talented D lines. I think it’s too early to say Iowa won’t have a good D line next year.

Oh, and maybe Big Spence will grow a pair of balls over the off season. That would help.

thrawn

Reaction score
Iowa is around 13th, Indiana 15th, and Iowa State 7th in most of the very early top 25 polls I’ve seen. Start with two wins and Iowa should be around #5 before summer even ends.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Man landed on moon analysis but really good Iowa teams have talented D lines. I think it’s too early to say Iowa won’t have a good D line next year.
I don’t think anyone is saying that. It’s a pre-season thread. People are talking about the unknowns at this point.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Watched some of the Wisconsin game tonight. Holy shit I sometimes forget how truly infuriatingly awful Petras is.

7:44 left in the game and Iowa is up 21-7 with the ball at the 19 yard line. First down was fine, short run by Sargent. Second down is the play where the Wisconsin guy comes right up to the line showing blitz and is clearly going to be unblocked. Petras somehow doesn't even see him or if he does isn't smart enough to check out of the play. He hikes it, the Wisconsin player comes screaming across and damn near intercepts the handoff which is made even worse because Petras is such a dumbfuck he knocks knees and trips his own RB. All that might be fine, but then he gets up and sort of looks around shocked and does that stupid clapping thing he does.

As if all that isn't bad enough, it is 3rd down where he is just a pants shitting dumbfuck. 3rd and 8 with 6:15 to go in the game at his own 21 yard line. First off, the play sucks. Brian has 3 wide, a TE and RB. The 2 WR's up top both run the same exact in route, most likely to clear out the CB and LB's so they can sneak Goodson out in the flat one on one against a LB in space.

Brain of course runs it to the short side, so even if it could be completed there is little to no chance that Goodson will be able to run much without going out of bounds. I get all that. It's 3rd and 8 with 6:15 to go from your own 21 with a 2 TD lead and you're trying to be safe. No problem.

The problem is that Petras doesn't have any awareness, so when he sees Goodson covered after less than 1.5 seconds he immediately flings the ball 20 yards out of bounds. Where to start with this, but it a) isn't close to anyone so the refs look at each other and contemplate a grounding call, b) he could have just eaten the ball or run forward 2 yards and went down and kept the clock running.

He did neither, so now the incompletion stops the clock with 6:10 to go when it could have been run down to 5:30 or so. He looks bewildered and runs to the sideline where Brian has a long conversation with him that seems to be mostly "What the fuck is wrong with you and what are you doing??" while Petras explains things like he is giving a speech in Rhetoric 101.

Disaster now strikes, Tory Taylor muffs the snap and kicks the ball off the ground getting an illegal kicking penalty and half the distance to the goal. That 40+ seconds that Petras now fucked away seems like it could be important with way too much time and Wisconsin likely to score and make it a 7 point game. Thankfully the defense was awesome and bailed everyone out and Mertz sucks so they didn't score.

TLDR = Petras is a turd that is going to lose Iowa multiple games unless he gets way better.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm going to have to do a preliminary hearing on taking this to Outrageous Claims court.

Your daughter had class with a grad transfer that didn't arrive on campus until nearly February and with in person classes being shut down in early March?

Did you mean Plumb or Cronk?

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm going to have to do a preliminary hearing on taking this to Outrageous Claims court.

Your daughter had class with a grad transfer that didn't arrive on campus until nearly February and with in person classes being shut down in early March?

Did you mean Plumb or Cronk?
Cronk. And yes...not kidding. UI had 2 full months of in-person classes last spring before they sent everyone home for spring break, then on-line after that. Believe me or not, but I don't have a reputation or being a bullshitter or making stuff up here.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
Lol, wut? Shannon is 288 lbs. that’s not a “nose tackle.”
He's also listed at 6 ft. If he gets to 300 at that height (he may be even shorter) he'll be pretty hard to move.

Also, it depends on the 3-4 scheme. Cowboys ran a "one-gap" 3-4 for years with Jay Ratliff at nose. It's different than the two-gap 3-4 the Steelers ran with Casey Hampton,.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Cronk. And yes...not kidding. UI had 2 full months of in-person classes last spring before they sent everyone home for spring break, then on-line after that. Believe me or not, but I don't have a reputation or being a bullshitter or making stuff up here.
The court will allow this evidence. Case dismissed.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
doug will tell you what you meant, and you will like it.

douglasbader

Reaction score
doug will tell you what you meant, and you will like it.
Nope. See how he gave actual well measure evidence and logic and the question was done?

This is what happens when you don't give bullshit troll lies. You should try it.

Also, seems like ol @L. Wade Childress totally doesn't care what I think about him and totally didn't wake up thinking about it.

Reactions: BBK

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
I remember when I was chastised for saying Petras looked shitty

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Nope. See how he gave actual well measure evidence and logic and the question was done?

This is what happens when you don't give bullshit troll lies. You should try it.

Also, seems like ol @L. Wade Childress totally doesn't care what I think about him and totally didn't wake up thinking about it.
it’s literally impossible to know what you think about anything.

thrawn

Reaction score
Oregon/Ohio State is the same day as Iowa/Iowa State so we can hopefully bury the GAMEDAY?! discussion, if they are even doing that this fall.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Oregon/Ohio State is the same day as Iowa/Iowa State so we can hopefully bury the GAMEDAY?! discussion, if they are even doing that this fall.

They're not coming back to Ames for the same thing as what they did two years ago, right?

thrawn

Reaction score
They're not coming back to Ames for the same thing as what they did two years ago, right?
As a “hey here’s a token new rivalry game”? No. As a “it’s two top 15 teams”? Possibly, although as noted above I think Oregon/Ohio State probably trumps it.

Skinny Skier

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
As a “hey here’s a token new rivalry game”? No. As a “it’s two top 15 teams”? Possibly, although as noted above I think Oregon/Ohio State probably trumps it.
Only trumps it because Iowa brings it down. Cyclones own the Ducks!

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Jalen Hunt would be nice to have in the DL rotation.

Hoping Schulte comes back, he's got some experience

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Dantonio tampered with Hunt. I can't prove it but I'm sure of it.
I remember an article saying something along the lines of “he was headed to IWCC when he didn’t qualify, but that ‘Michigan State stuck with him through the whole process’ and he ended up transferring there.”

I’m not sure how that ISN’T tampering

Thanksgiving Dinner

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I remember an article saying something along the lines of “he was headed to IWCC when he didn’t qualify, but that ‘Michigan State stuck with him through the whole process’ and he ended up transferring there.”

I’m not sure how that ISN’T tampering
Once Iowa let him out of his LOI so he could go to IWCC that wasn't against the rules, strictly speaking. What I suspect is that Dantonio kept after him while he was signed and guided him through the process of intentionally tanking his grades/scores, then late qualifying.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
Zaius has a bright future in football prognosticating.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Yeah well... I was mad!

Reaction score
SeanBock4 avatar
SeanBock4
Posted on 65 secs, , , User Post Count: 0
  • 65 secs
Per Rob Howe, Iowa linebacker Djimon Colbert will step away from the game of football after opting out of the 2020 season.
He will not return to the Iowa football program but plans to graduate this spring or winter from Iowa, per Howe.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
SeanBock4 avatar
SeanBock4
Posted on 65 secs, , , User Post Count: 0
  • 65 secs
Per Rob Howe, Iowa linebacker Djimon Colbert will step away from the game of football after opting out of the 2020 season.
He will not return to the Iowa football program but plans to graduate this spring or winter from Iowa, per Howe.
Strangely doesn't concern me. Campbell and benson are both very good. Coaches love Jacobs. Depth is the concern, but Higgins did well his first time on campus and there's a lot of young guys.

Likely will see even more 5 DBs this year

douglasbader

Reaction score
He opted out and is moving on to other things and seems happy about it. That seems to indicate he’s a bit more cerebral or liberal and not all that concerned with football. Some guys just don’t like football even if they’re good at it