**Official 2021 Iowa Football Off-Season Thread**

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
Looks like Jacksonville and Urban Meyer just got DOYLEIZED!

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
I don’t recall him having a problem with Doyle either

Renegade_ofFunk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Good for Chris and I hope he sticks there.

The recent idea among certain people that someone can’t learn or improve personally and professionally is something I don’t understand. It’s a really smooth brain way of looking at things and is Un-American.

The vast majority of people DO deserve a second chance. Especially if they’re good at their job.

Reaction score
If she's going to use Mabin as an example of her faux-outrage, she could at least have the decency to spell his damn name right.
Why is she bringing Mabin into this at all? Did Mabin say anything about Doyle?

NFL is full of players/coaches given second/multiple chances. Myles Garrett is nominated for the Walter Payton award

Bubba Sparxxx

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I have never heard of that woman before today but the the short answer to correcting her misspelling of Mabins name might indicate some insecurities are there

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I have never heard of that woman before today but the the short answer to correcting her misspelling of Mabins name might indicate some insecurities are there
She is one of the starting 5 of the millennial ESPN woke crew.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Why is she bringing Mabin into this at all? Did Mabin say anything about Doyle?

NFL is full of players/coaches given second/multiple chances. Myles Garrett is nominated for the Walter Payton award
Mabin was on a local radio show when all of this came out (might have been KCJJ with Harty) where he said his time at Iowa was ok. Something like if you were getting regular playing time at Iowa you knew you would get a shot at the NFL so you just put your head down and put up with Doyle. But if you weren’t seeing the field it could be tough and knew guys that couldn’t deal with it.

But now he’s in the NFL. He’s bounced around a few teams. He’ll put up with Doyle if it means he makes the team.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
No one would’ve given a shit by Monday

Reaction score
I think 8 months later was pushing tbh. Maybe you have to go a round with outrage and then second time there is some degree of sympathy for a 2nd chance.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I think 8 months later was pushing tbh. Maybe you have to go a round with outrage and then second time there is some degree of sympathy for a 2nd chance.
No way, it would have happened no matter when he was hired anywhere. This is where things are at going forward.

The most he could ever do now is be an independent contractor consultant off the books that nobody knows about and has no day to day contact with players.

He's 52 years old and he's done in his current profession for good. Hopefully he save that money he was getting paid and can just retire and enjoy himself.

I don't even like Doyle and think he was a dick and fucked up and should have gotten let go at Iowa, but not a fan of ostracizing him for the rest of his life.

douglasbader

Reaction score
His only chance is if someone hires him as an assistant strength coach and doesn’t announce it.

Holy fuck.

Fucking Art Briles got a job after what happened at Baylor.
If I were him and really wanted to keep working on any level, would basically need to set up an LLC with his name not attached and then quietly be a consultant to programs or teams that never steps foot on the campus or facility.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
If I were him and really wanted to keep working on any level, would basically need to set up an LLC with his name not attached and then quietly be a consultant to programs or teams that never steps foot on the campus or facility.
From what most of the players that supported him have said is that the majority of the workout programs were not even his. They were mostly his assistants that brought new age science to the room. Doyle was essentially in charge of motivating.

I can’t believe we’re at the point where someone like Dan Wolken can influence a decision like this.

BVHawk95

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Just goes to show how forgiving and progressive the modern NFL is.

Take steroids, beat the fuck out of your girlfriend all you want, literally murder someone, just don't say anything that could be vaguely interpreted as racist to a giant pussy.

And no, this is not a pro-Doyle post.

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
This is where we’re at in society. No second chances, no opportunity for redemption, no accounting for Ed Miles, Clayborn, or the Goodson family vouching for the guy.

To the woke media, Doyle is in the same category as George Zimmerman. Doyle’s career is done.

Most of us that follow the program understand the full scope of the Doyle situation but had the same situation occurred at Missouri or Nebrantska we’d be saying “fuck that racist”

douglasbader

Reaction score
This is what is infuriating about this though, the word "accountability" really is misunderstood by people like fake Aubrey here.

Doyle was already held accountable. He was called out, lost his job and a lot of his dignity and reputation. That apparently wasn't enough though as the only solution that a lot of people will accept is for him to never have another job in the industry.

Renegade_ofFunk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
This is what is infuriating about this though, the word "accountability" really is misunderstood by people like fake Aubrey here.

Doyle was already held accountable. He was called out, lost his job and a lot of his dignity and reputation. That apparently wasn't enough though as the only solution that a lot of people will accept is for him to never have another job in the industry.

Unfortunately what a lot of folks don’t understand is it will never “be enough” for these “people”. It’s a truly deranged and hysterical ideology and they are giving this kind of power for no other reason than institutional cowardice. No one has to listen to these people. But everyone is such a pussy they’ll give them what they want because they think it will make them go away.

All they care about is scoring points on social media. If they were truly “liberal” they would want a guy like Doyle to learn from his mistakes and come out the other side “better”. A success story to so they can laud how urbane and sophisticated they are.

The lesson here is never take accountability and never apologize because there’s no point. Great message. Good job.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Unfortunately what a lot of folks don’t understand is it will never “be enough” for these “people”. It’s a truly deranged and hysterical ideology and they are giving this kind of power for no other reason than institutional cowardice.

All they care about is scoring points on social media. If they were truly “liberal” they would want a guy like Doyle to learn from his mistakes and come out the other side “better”. A success story to so they can laud how urbane and sophisticated they are.

The lesson here is never take accountability and never apologize because there’s no point. Great message. Good job.
This maybe true for some people, but that number is incredibly small. As a nation we by and large love a comeback story almost as much as we love the original tear down story.

There’s no evidence that Doyle has done anything in terms of growing or making things right. He’s simply stayed breathing, and a coaching buddy offered him a job. He needs to put in some effort to show growth happened and another opportunity is warranted. Take a class, say you’re sorry, something. He acted like a dick, took no responsibility, and got offered a job. The lesson here is don’t do that.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
The power dynamics of the Jacksonville job would have been a perfect opportunity for him, and he would have had a chance to "prove" it. Social media provides the worst feedback loops and gives these irresponsible jackasses too big of a voice.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
and if he has, he owes it to you, or anyone to "prove" it?
Yes, he owes it publicly. He spoke out publicly denying the allegations, he was recognized publicly for being a problem in the independent report, and if he’s interested in telling people how to lift weights again as a job he owes it publicly to show understanding that what he did was wrong and he’s taking steps to make amends with those he’s wronged and himself so it doesn’t happen again.

Doing that would be light years beyond what he’s done so far, which is actually less than nothing, he denied he did anything wrong.

Saying “I’m sorry, what I did was wrong, how I acted was wrong.” Isn’t a lot to ask. Had he done that I’d agree that these news media fucksticks are being fucksticks. Doyle hasn’t done shit past public denial. He could have stfu and I’d probably agree that he should get a shot. He didn’t do that. He denied it.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Yes, he owes it publicly. He spoke out publicly denying the allegations, he was recognized publicly for being a problem in the independent report, and if he’s interested in telling people how to lift weights again as a job he owes it publicly to show understanding that what he did was wrong and he’s taking steps to make amends with those he’s wronged and himself so it doesn’t happen again.

Doing that would be light years beyond what he’s done so far, which is actually less than nothing, he denied he did anything wrong.

Saying “I’m sorry, what I did was wrong, how I acted was wrong.” Isn’t a lot to ask. Had he done that I’d agree that these news media fucksticks are being fucksticks. Doyle hasn’t done shit past public denial. He could have stfu and I’d probably agree that he should get a shot. He didn’t do that. He denied it.
The problem here is that the vast majority of what he was accused of is very likely made up bullshit. If he comes out and accepts responsibility for any of it, he has to for all of it and that would be insane to do.

I think he was ultimately guilty of being an insensitive meat head dick that got too comfortable. I don't think he was some crazy racist spewing shit everywhere.