**Official 2021 Iowa Football Off-Season Thread**

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
Petras looked ok in the 7 on 7 stuff but nothing special by any means. He was bad in the 11 on 11. The pick he threw was a bad read and late. Halo chat would have shit themselves.

Padilla doesn’t have anything more than adequate college arm strength so he’s going to need to be very accurate.

keagan Johnson looks like a very intriguing prospect. He’s going to play a bunch. Arland Bruce is very small. Gotta be like 5’6-5’8 max. He is shifty though.

Lachey is tall and athletic, but he is somewhat noticeably skinny. He’s a nice new piece for the offense.

does anyone know if any linemen were held out? The starting 5 left to right were plumb, richman (who is a big fucking kid) linderbaum, Schott & DeJong. No idea if that’s who has separated themselves or if that was due to injury. I think the offensive line may be a strength this year

@Revolver mentioned it but that #50 walkon dtackle guy was very disruptive. If he plays like he did today he can be a rotation guy to spell black and Shannon for sure.

awesome day to be in Kinnick. I thought about it and my last time inside Kinnick before today was to watch the turrible 2014 Nebrantska game. I left at halftime to go to spoco and got to see the melt down from there.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I think Ince was out. Surprised Britt had not made a big jump, Kirk was really high on him

Reaction score
does anyone know if any linemen were held out? The starting 5 left to right were plumb, richman (who is a big fucking kid) linderbaum, Schott & DeJong. No idea if that’s who has separated themselves or if that was due to injury. I think the offensive line may be a strength this year
Ince, Britt and Davidkov were all in sweats today.

Reaction score
What a great day to sit in the sun at Kinnick. Really missed going to the games last fall

QB - not really sure what to think, Padilla is short and not a strong arm. The pick Petras threw was really poor. Hogan was fine
RB - Gavin Williams looks solid, good vision. Goodsen is really good, WIlliams has good explosiveness and moves well
WR - Tracy seems to have taken a step forward, Bruce and Johnson appear to be ready to play. Mathews looks to have potential

Jacobs seems to be like Kirksey

The secondary and depth there is impressive. Harris was solid and Mariweather and Belton were really good. Belton will be an impact player this year. Castro and Shulte played well

Van Ness stood out some as well

Very talented on defense and the two D tackles were out

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I listened to the practice breakdown podcast from 247 while walking the dog last night. Bock made a good point about the QBs. People are going to nitpick everything that Petras does because they don’t want him to be the starter while inflating the ability of the other 2 QBs since they want one of them to beat Petras out.

In his words, the other 2 don’t really bring anything substantially better to the table. One of them isn’t going to increase the ceiling for the team and would likely lower the floor.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Petras looked ok in the 7 on 7 stuff but nothing special by any means. He was bad in the 11 on 11. The pick he threw was a bad read and late. Halo chat would have shit themselves.

Padilla doesn’t have anything more than adequate college arm strength so he’s going to need to be very accurate.

keagan Johnson looks like a very intriguing prospect. He’s going to play a bunch. Arland Bruce is very small. Gotta be like 5’6-5’8 max. He is shifty though.

Lachey is tall and athletic, but he is somewhat noticeably skinny. He’s a nice new piece for the offense.

@Revolver mentioned it but that #50 walkon dtackle guy was very disruptive. If he plays like he did today he can be a rotation guy to spell black and Shannon for sure.

awesome day to be in Kinnick. I thought about it and my last time inside Kinnick before today was to watch the turrible 2014 Nebrantska game. I left at halftime to go to spoco and got to see the melt down from there.
I know I was overreacting a fair deal yesterday in the moment, but the bolded part was 100% on the money. He settled in and was fine later on, but the INT was horrendous.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
I listened to the practice breakdown podcast from 247 while walking the dog last night. Bock made a good point about the QBs. People are going to nitpick everything that Petras does because they don’t want him to be the starter while inflating the ability of the other 2 QBs since they want one of them to beat Petras out.

In his words, the other 2 don’t really bring anything substantially better to the table. One of them isn’t going to increase the ceiling for the team and would likely lower the floor.
That is really disappointing from a recruiting standpoint if true

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
I know I was overreacting a fair deal yesterday in the moment, but the bolded part was 100% on the money. He settled in and was fine later on, but the INT was horrendous.
Is this a RATT? WATT? Both?

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

I think this is going to be a really good team with average to below average QB play. We can win the West with that as long as Petras avoids major screw-ups at bad times.

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
My two cents from 30 rows up:

Petras has the best arm of the QB group and it’s not close. Easy to see why the coaches like him in practice. Petras was throwing nice out routes in pre scrimmage session then promptly throws an awful out when defense is involved.
I have no idea who QB #11 is but he’s meh, and took reps in front of Hogan.

For a moment I thought Padilla might be a weapon with his legs but quickly realized the combination of his (lack of size) and choppy steps give the illusion of quickness. In the scrimmage Padilla was driving (South Endzone) had a lot of green to the left, he took off and was quickly tackled by a safety. I think he ended up with a 3-4 yard gain.

Jacobs is an imposing guy. We had to wait for the players to get through the parking lot so we could get to the car. #5 walked by and I had to check the roster to see is there was another #5 playing d-end or tight end.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Jacobs and Campbell are gonna be some big, tall, havoc wreaking motherfuckers I hope. I hope it’s them and a cash most of the time (except most snaps vs Wisconsin and MN maybe).

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Benson is solid vs the run. not so much in pass d. Im guessing we will see Jacobs rushing the qb like Evans on passing downs.

Reaction score
I mean maybe last year but he had 3 tds in the Holiday Bowl and was a foot overthrowing to Smith or would have a TD cycle.....

thrawn

Reaction score
Iowa’s system isn’t that pass-heavy to begin and just doesn’t build to feature a guy very well. The last 10 full seasons these are the only guys to be top 10 in in the douche in receptions:

McNutt #8 (2010)
McNutt #2 (2011)
Davis #9 (2011)
KMM #6 (2012)
VandeBerg #5 (2015)

the two leading guys in in catches in school history were top ten a combined one time in eight overall seasons

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
2019 was his best opportunity to be the featured guy and overall they did a pretty good job. 2017 he was pretty small, 2018 they had Fant and Hockenson, 2020 was a dumb year, he had Petras at QB and got a DUI.

They found different ways to get him the ball. They’ve upgraded their skill positions the last 4 years that it wasn’t like they were throwing it to Don Nordmann instead of him.

Reaction score
Looking again at the vids from Saturday, without writing things down, I counted 7-15 for Padilla after a 4-4 start. I lost count with Petras, but he had 2 completions of more than 10 yards downfield for under under 50%. He had a couple of 10 yarders and some 5 yarders. Nothing that will beat ISU. Actually had Deuce at about 8-11, with the most >10 yard completions. Petras was the least mobile (shock). It looked better than Stanley, Wiegers and Boyle in the Friday night scrimmage '17, but that's rather faint praise. Hopefully May 1 looks better- as it should.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Looking again at the vids from Saturday, without writing things down, I counted 7-15 for Padilla after a 4-4 start. I lost count with Petras, but he had 2 completions of more than 10 yards downfield for under under 50%. He had a couple of 10 yarders and some 5 yarders. Nothing that will beat ISU. Actually had Deuce at about 8-11, with the most >10 yard completions. Petras was the least mobile (shock). It looked better than Stanley, Wiegers and Boyle in the Friday night scrimmage '17, but that's rather faint praise. Hopefully May 1 looks better- as it should.
This team doesn't appear to have many holes but the one glaring weakness it has concerns me. That is that Petras is worse than most QBs under pressure and he will have two new tackles protecting the edges. I have a feeling the passing attack will be pretty meh this year despite having some really good weapons. Defense and run game should be really good though.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
The run game and Tyler Goodson are going to once again get the pleasure of trying to move the ball against 9 or so defenders.
Spencer is going to walk up to the line, audible, 11/11 defenders will know exactly which run play is coming, and Iowa Fan will bitch about the O line when Goodson gains 0.2 yards on the play.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Spencer is going to walk up to the line, audible, 11/11 defenders will know exactly which run play is coming, and Iowa Fan will bitch about the O line when Goodson gains 0.2 yards on the play.
I didnt see him audibling into the stretch play much last year.

Reaction score
This team doesn't appear to have many holes but the one glaring weakness it has concerns me. That is that Petras is worse than most QBs under pressure and he will have two new tackles protecting the edges. I have a feeling the passing attack will be pretty meh this year despite having some really good weapons. Defense and run game should be really good though.
A situation that sure does cry out for a QB that can move a bit in the pocket and run for a first down on 3rd and 9 once in a blue moon.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
A situation that sure does cry out for a QB that can move a bit in the pocket and run for a first down on 3rd and 9 once in a blue moon.
Yea, I know they try but sure seems like the staff should go after the more mobile QBs. Doesn't have to be a scrambler but someone who can move well within the pocket and pick up a first down with his legs every now and then. CJ lite in that sense.