**Official 2021 Iowa Football Off-Season Thread**

BngHawk

Nextdoor Mod
Reaction score
Fuck that. There's 3 teams at most that ever have any business playing for a national title
The initial playoff has been the same shit every fucking year. Is your argument that making it 12 teams makes no difference because we still end up with the same 4?

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
I’ll gladly have a beer at the wrestling meets.
I don't believe the guy that starves himself for extended periods will have a beer at a wrestling meet.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
The initial playoff has been the same shit every fucking year. Is your argument that making it 12 teams makes no difference because we still end up with the same 4?
I assumed his argument was that he was joking. It was a reply from KitKat.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
I also think 8 is the way to go. 12 is too many unless they use the traditional Jan 1 bowls (Citrus, Outback, etc.) and some others as the initial round.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
You got a joking vibe from that? He does pop up now and again to get pissed on a topic or two.
I thought so. I could be wrong of course. I should have let him respond for himself.

Reaction score
I also think 8 is the way to go. 12 is too many unless they use the traditional Jan 1 bowls (Citrus, Outback, etc.) and some others as the initial round.
Counterpoint, the opening weekend in a 12 team playoff will have much better games than the round of 8.

They will be played on home fields, no players will opt out (unlike current bowls) and the talent gap between 5 and 12 is much smaller than the gap between 1 and 8. It's going to be an epic weekend.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
There's not gonna be a ton of variety

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Yep get ready for 4 to 6 more. We’ll finally get that Cincinnati VS Clemson game we’ve always wanted

Last edited:

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
Go back to 2. Four us way better than 8, and screw odd numbers like 6 or 12.

Traditional bowls will mean even less than they already do, and a Rose Bowl won't mean much of anything in the future, either it will be meaningless, or always be a playoff game without the Big Ten in it (random matches with the Big Ten elsewhere).

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
Odd in the sense there are bye or play-in games involved. I would choose 2 first, 4 second, but rather have 8 than 6 and 16 than 12.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Go back to 2. Four us way better than 8, and screw odd numbers like 6 or 12.

Traditional bowls will mean even less than they already do, and a Rose Bowl won't mean much of anything in the future, either it will be meaningless, or always be a playoff game without the Big Ten in it (random matches with the Big Ten elsewhere).
I don’t want to burst your bubble, but the Rose Bowl was the last remaining bowl game anyone gave a shit about outside of the fanbases involved. Also probably the only bowl game people would still really look forward to.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
I say the only teams that play should be the playoff teams. Have the major bowls be the playoff games. Allow teams to practice during the bowl season instead of 60 percent of teams qualifying for shitty worthless bowl games with 5 wins.

I would actually like it if conferences had to schedule P5 non cof games to be eligible for the playoffs to improve matchups and who is deserving. Allow a preseason scrimmage where p5 can play a cupcake if they want to so those teams can still get their money.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I think there’s a legitimate argument that expanding the college football playoff will spread the wealth in recruiting over time. Combined iwith some coaching turnover in the near future, parity should increase.

BngHawk

Nextdoor Mod
Reaction score
I think there’s a legitimate argument that expanding the college football playoff will spread the wealth in recruiting over time. Combined iwith some coaching turnover in the near future, parity should increase.
Wow. I agree with you.

thrawn

Reaction score
so in the last actual season we would have seen

Memphis (G5/#17) at #5 Georgia (Oklahoma)
#11 Utah @ #7 Baylor (Ohio State)
#10 Penn State @ #6 Oregon (Clemson)
#9 Florida @ #8 Wisconsin (Alabama)

swapping Utah to avoid a rematch.

I guess a couple of those games are okay, although the quarterfinals would all be double digit spreads other than Georgia/OU

You’re basically praying the expansion leads to the 5-star players not just piling up at the same schools like they are now

thrawn

Reaction score
2018 is pretty bad. Lots of 3-loss teams.

#9 Washington @ #8 UCF (Alabama)
#10 Florida (3 L) @ #7 Michigan (Clemson)
#12 Penn State (3 L) @ #5 Georgia (Oklahoma)
#11 LSU (3 L) @ #3/5/6 Notre Dame (Ohio State)

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
2018 is pretty bad. Lots of 3-loss teams.

#9 Washington @ #8 UCF (Alabama)
#10 Florida (3 L) @ #7 Michigan (Clemson)
#12 Penn State (3 L) @ #5 Georgia (Oklahoma)
#11 LSU (3 L) @ #3/5/6 Notre Dame (Ohio State)
i would’ve watched the shit out of all but UCF/Washington

thrawn

Reaction score
This is undoubtedly worse than the current system, although it’s closer to the only thing that would actually be better (just blowing up the bowls and doing 24).

thrawn

Reaction score
I don’t understand how everyone accepts that the NCAA tournament is basically just for fun yet then treats the college footballs post season as though it has to be the perfect way to choose the best team.
the problem I have is they kept parts of the old system and just sort of keep wedging stuff onto it, so we have just enough to pervert the incentives but not really make it better at being inclusive or at picking the best team

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
You’re basically praying the expansion leads to the 5-star players not just piling up at the same schools like they are now
This happening is the best end game. Right now Bama, OSU, OU, Clemson have enormous recruiting advantage by pointing to how many times they've made the playoffs since the system started. If you want a chance to win (or in OU's case play for) a championship the road goes through these four schools. With 12 teams every year, there are a lot more opportunities if those 5-25 type schools can convince the top players that it's not just a four team race.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Short term it’s going to suck. Long term it’ll be the best thing for college football. 16 would have been even better. There’s a much better chance someone like Nwankpa chooses Iowa with an expanded playoff than there currently is knowing Iowa has to hit a royal flush to get in.

Eventually the talent gap will narrow to a point where there’s a legit chance a team outside of Clemson, Ohio State and Alabama can compete with them.

It was also mentioned that up to 10 bowls could be eliminated with this move.