**Official 2021 Iowa Football Off-Season Thread**

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Give me pre-1998 bowl arrangements (Big Ten/Pac-12 Rose Bowl or bust) and if two main polls differ on who is #1 then we have chaos as we already bitch about these things anyways when we have a playoff.

Great, now Nebrantska is relevant again

Reaction score
Short term it’s going to suck. Long term it’ll be the best thing for college football. 16 would have been even better. There’s a much better chance someone like Nwankpa chooses Iowa with an expanded playoff than there currently is knowing Iowa has to hit a royal flush to get in.

Eventually the talent gap will narrow to a point where there’s a legit chance a team outside of Clemson, Ohio State and Alabama can compete with them.

It was also mentioned that up to 10 bowls could be eliminated with this move.
The playoff itself won't suck at any point.

The only risk is that coaches will be tempted to rest players late in the regular season and CCGs because they already have a spot locked up. Imagine a #1 Clemson vs #12 Virginia Tech ACC CG where Clemson sits key players and ends up losing. This scenario would increase Clemson's revenue by adding a 2nd ACC playoff team and make for a pretty terrible game.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
The playoff itself won't suck at any point.

The only risk is that coaches will be tempted to rest players late in the regular season and CCGs because they already have a spot locked up. Imagine a #1 Clemson vs #12 Virginia Tech ACC CG where Clemson sits key players and ends up losing. This scenario would increase Clemson's revenue by adding a 2nd ACC playoff team and make for a pretty terrible game.
Wouldn't you also rather be #5, and get to host another game?

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I mean, I’m probably not watching the Clemson-Virginia Tech ACC Championship game anyway so I guess I don’t really care. In this situation Iowa could be ranked like 17, play Ohio State resting their players and sneak in.

They could also make a rule that to be a top 4 seed you have to be a conference champion.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
I mean, I’m probably not watching the Clemson-Virginia Tech ACC Championship game anyway so I guess I don’t really care. In this situation Iowa could be ranked like 17, play Ohio State resting their players and sneak in.

They could also make a rule that to be a top 4 seed you have to be a conference champion.
Think this is in the proposal.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
I say the only teams that play should be the playoff teams. Have the major bowls be the playoff games. Allow teams to practice during the bowl season instead of 60 percent of teams qualifying for shitty worthless bowl games with 5 wins.
Count me in the minority that loves shitty worthless bowl season. It's always the chance to make a shitty worthless Iowa season feel a little bit better heading into the new year. Plus, gambling and something on tv.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
I'll gamble on the playoffs, too, Mo. I'm fucking crazy!!

Reactions: BBK

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
I've always enjoyed bowl contests and watching random pairing of average teams in 49-44 games that take 4.5 hours. The Aloha Bowl is a yearly Christmas Eve staple

HawkeyeJonesEsq

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
As far as the bowls, I would still go to quite a few of the locations, just because the game is an excuse. Outback bowls have all been great, win or lose. Holiday bowl was great, even if I felt nervous the stadium was going to collapse. I am looking forward to Iowa in a Vegas Bowl soon, mostly for the laissez-faire attitude on whores in Nevada.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
As far as the bowls, I would still go to quite a few of the locations, just because the game is an excuse. Outback bowls have all been great, win or lose. Holiday bowl was great, even if I felt nervous the stadium was going to collapse. I am looking forward to Iowa in a Vegas Bowl soon, mostly for the laissez-faire attitude on whores in Nevada.
The probability of me going to a bowl game will be a function of opponent, weather and ease of travel. Playing a team like Washington in Vegas sounds about as fun as a non-Rose Bowl Playoff game could be.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
So in 2015, Iowa would have played #12 Houston at Kinnick. Then if they had won, would have played Oklahoma in RD 2. That would have been much more desirable than facing McCaffrey and that huge OL of theirs in Pasadena.

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
So in 2015, Iowa would have played #12 Houston at Kinnick. Then if they had won, would have played Oklahoma in RD 2. That would have been much more desirable than facing McCaffrey and that huge OL of theirs in Pasadena.
That would have been fun, that was a good OU team with Baker Mayfield/Sterling Sheppard/Mark Andrews/Joe Mixon/Samaje Perine/Dede Westbrook on offense.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
I was just happy to be in Pasadena at that point. Had we held on to the W in the douche champ game, we would have been in the playoffs

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I couldn’t have thought of a more random name when I saw that headline.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score

For the poors:

1. Jack Campbell, Iowa, LB: The buzz is big inside the Hawkeyes football program. Coaches say the 6-foot-4 1/2, 245-pounder runs like a deer, is as tough as anyone they’ve coached and has a very high football IQ and a drive to get better. Campbell was expected to start at middle linebacker last year, then got mono. In 141 snaps in 2020, he still registered 29 tackles and 4.5 tackles for loss, three pass breakups and an interception. He excels in all three phases of the position: against the run, in coverage and as a pass rusher.
26. Julius Brents, Kansas State, CB: A transfer from Iowa, Brents looks like a great addition to the defense. At 6-2, he is a long corner with good speed and a strong upper body. He excelled in press coverage this spring. The other things that really caught the eyes of his new coaches are how much he loves to practice and that he’s a total gym rat.

Reaction score
I get that Brents has huge talent, but he hasn't had a healthy season in at least 4 years. It's hard to expect much at this point.

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score
A few days late here, but I don't mind the playoff changes. Something needs to change, because the current system sucks. If the goal is to introduce more parity and improve recruiting, I'm not sure this will get there. What you need to show the 5* kids is that Alabama or Clemson aren't the exclusive path to winning (or realistically playing for) a title. To do that, you need upsets, which are most likely with more games. Giving the top-4 a bye makes upsets less likely, but the whole thing is better than a 4-team field.

The only part that really sucks is the death-blow to the Rose Bowl as anything resembling what it used to be. Either it's a perpetual semifinal, or it's the 3rd best Big Ten team against, maybe, the 2nd best Pac-12 team.

Reaction score
I get that Brents has huge talent, but he hasn't had a healthy season in at least 4 years. It's hard to expect much at this point.
My main expectation is that he intercepts the Iowa State quarterback 3 times. Then we can also get to hear about how underutilized he was at Iowa and how Iowa doesn't realize how good certain players are.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I haven't followed at all, but is the 12 team thing happening this year? Assuming they would never release a press release like they did without knowing it is a sure thing.

iowa4ever20

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I haven't followed at all, but is the 12 team thing happening this year? Assuming they would never release a press release like they did without knowing it is a sure thing.
2023 season at the earliest according to the reports last week.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
Sounds like earliest would be 2023 or they wait out the current contract and it starts up in 2026.