**Official 2021 Iowa Football Off-Season Thread**

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
July 9th: Petras dovetail sequence derrr.

October 9th: Petras benched; Padilla to start.

BngHawk

Nextdoor Mod
Reaction score
That guy needs to spend more time analyzing Spencer’s explosive anal seepage instead of his fucking dovetail.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
I’m going on record, Petras will be honorable mention all douche or better.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
What’s the unaddressed obvious?
The teams on the overachiever list have to be about the whitest in P5. The (likely white) guys doing the recruiting rankings probably have implicit biases that cause them to underrate those players as high schoolers.

Edit: Love the knee-jerk gfy for mentioning race. I’m merely suggesting there isn’t some special sauce that makes the whitest programs in the P5 overachieve - it’s just racial biases at play.

Last edited:

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
The teams on the overachiever list have to be about the whitest in P5. The (likely white) guys doing the recruiting rankings probably have implicit biases that cause them to underrate those players as high schoolers.
Gotcha. I thought he dismissed too quickly that recruiting services undervalue upper Midwest recruits. Didn’t make the jump to racial bias

SuperHans

Reaction score
Gotcha. I thought he dismissed too quickly that recruiting services undervalue upper Midwest recruits. Didn’t make the jump to racial bias
That could also be a factor. But BC and Utah also fit the theory. I’m not sure about Wake.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Running with Hans’ theory, is this because whites are underrated or whites are more likely to be developmental players who require more time/change before seeing the field? Maybe they were appropriately rated as HS seniors?

You’d think BYU would be the ultimate proof of the theory, and they really aren’t.

SuperHans

Reaction score
Running with Hans’ theory, is this because whites are underrated or whites are more likely to be developmental players who require more time/change before seeing the field? Maybe they were appropriately rated as HS seniors?

You’d think BYU would be the ultimate proof of the theory, and they really aren’t.
I’d say underrated.

The flip side of the second theory is that black players are more naturally gifted and therefore need to work less. I don’t subscribe to that.

BYU is an interesting one. I wonder if they’re not on this list because the chart is comparing recruiting rankings vs record from the last four years. Outside of this past season, BYU won 4, 7 and 7 games.

Gushawk

Reaction score
I think there are certain positions on the field where you are just not going to make a competitive P5 living regularly trotting white dudes out there.

Whether that is nature vs nurture is sort of irrelevant.

SuperHans

Reaction score
I think there are certain positions on the field where you are just not going to make a competitive P5 living regularly trotting white dudes out there.

Whether that is nature vs nurture is sort of irrelevant.
Absolutely. None of the teams on that overachiever list are competing for national championships. I’m not advocating for Iowa to recruit more white guys.

I’m saying that maybe part of the answer to why Iowa and Wisconsin always ending up on these lists of the best developmental programs is not because their S&C programs are somehow magical, or that much better than an average SEC program, for example, but instead that there’s a flaw in the baseline metric.

I’m saying the stereotype of the hardworking, scrappy white guy (which also works to the detriment of black players who are often painted as just being naturally gifted), is a fallacy in part created by inherent biases in the people doing the recruiting rankings.

HawkeyeJonesEsq

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I’d say underrated.

The flip side of the second theory is that black players are more naturally gifted and therefore need to work less. I don’t subscribe to that.

BYU is an interesting one. I wonder if they’re not on this list because the chart is comparing recruiting rankings vs record from the last four years. Outside of this past season, BYU won 4, 7 and 7 games.
And they are not P5

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
My guess isn’t the whiteness, but the athletic culture of those places. If there is a racial bias it would be from (jr) high school and camp coaches who select kids for specialization earlier.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
The one thing I can say for Petras is he finally looks like he put some muscle on his body.

HawkeyeJonesEsq

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Is it tougher to "be right" on linemen? Recruiting kids where some of them grow 8 inches and gain 150 pounds in a couple years, and some that don't.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Is it tougher to "be right" on linemen? Recruiting kids where some of them grow 8 inches and gain 150 pounds in a couple years, and some that don't.
Those programs also largely play styles of football that emphasize line play/tight ends and LB which recruiting services are probably less adept at scouting.

Mountain Hawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

BYU has a lot of Islanders, and the varsity averages about two years older than everyone else's, so there are always a lot of high expectations there.

thrawn

Reaction score

Edit: Love the knee-jerk gfy for mentioning race. I’m merely suggesting there isn’t some special sauce that makes the whitest programs in the P5 overachieve - it’s just racial biases at play.
despite being located in Ames Iowa State’s team isn’t exactly teeming with white dudes. Outside of the ol, isn’t it just Kolar/Allen, Hummel, Rose, and Purdy? (And TE/QB are pretty white at lots of schools)

eclone

Reaction score
despite being located in Ames Iowa State’s team isn’t exactly teeming with white dudes. Outside of the ol, isn’t it just Kolar/Allen, Hummel, Rose, and Purdy? (And TE/QB are pretty white at lots of schools)
Zach Petersen started all last year and will again this year at DE. Blake Peterson is his backup. Bitter will try to fill the “one white WR” role. Whole TE (including those that fill the FB role) and QB depth chart. Pretty white. No white dudes in the secondary, interior DL, or tail back.

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
Petras is taller than Stanley, didn't expect that. It really is a shame w/Petras as he does have an absolute rocket for an arm.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
They actually look like they’re the same height. Petras has hair

Gushawk

Reaction score
Spence looking quite a bit less muscular in that pic

eclone

Reaction score
Was there a game time set before?
I think it was moved from 2:30 pm to 3:30 pm.

As was the UNI/ISU game the week earlier. Don't know why the one hour change. UNI was to be on ESPN+ and Iowa on ABC.