**Official 2021 Iowa Football Season Thread**

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Probably because so far spencer has been on better teams than Jake and we haven't been as dependent on QB play

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
He also lost the Wisconsin game by missing the throw the only time Paul Chaney was left uncovered on a go route.

fossilhawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Like someone said ol Spence is going to get the Chandler treatment. There will be gnashing of teeth and complaints about how awful he looked as the Hawks win alot of games.
Chandler might actually be the perfect comp for Petras. Tendency towards pants shitting, but capability to not fuck up enough to actively lose games against good teams.

With this defense, that might be enough to get to Indy. Guess we'll see.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
You guys need to stop being so hard on Spencer.

Those behind the LOS completion percentages are pretty nice.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
A few CFB podcasts I listen to talking about how QBs like Bryce Young and CJ Stroud are clearly being sought out/valued for their ability to move away from the pass rush to a spot, find a stud on a long developing crosser, and get him the ball. I thought, yeah, I’m never going to see that at Iowa.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
A few CFB podcasts I listen to talking about how QBs like Bryce Young and CJ Stroud are clearly being sought out/valued for their ability to move away from the pass rush to a spot, find a stud on a long developing crosser, and get him the ball. I thought, yeah, I’m never going to see that at Iowa.
Iowa isn’t likely to land that QB or those WR. If you want to see balls downfield the type of formations Minnesota lines up in are more realistic.

Gushawk

Reaction score
I don’t think we’re even interested in that type of QB, and I don’t think that type of WR is interested in us (understandably so).

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I've never quite understood the logic that an amazing defense makes mediocre QB play good because you're not losing the game.

I mean, I understand actively not losing the game with QB play, but maybe with your amazing defense it would be nice to have good QB play and have an amazing team?

Like Nate Chandler is a great comp. Yeah, 10 wins is good at Iowa and I loved watching that team. But score more than 10, 10, and 14 points in those losses and we could be talking about an all-time Iowa team.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Is anyone making that argument?

I think the argument is if you have a shitty quarterback and a great defense you'd rather have him play it safe than potentially turn it over. I don't think anyone wants a Chandler clone over a Stanzi or Beathard one.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Is anyone making that argument?

I think the argument is if you have a shitty quarterback and a great defense you'd rather have him play it safe than potentially turn it over. I don't think anyone wants a Chandler clone over a Stanzi or Beathard one.
The point is that if a guy needs to throw 27 times to gain 145 yards to avoid turning it over, then he's not a good QB. Your point, that not turning it over is better than turning it over seems to be something of a given.

And I'm talking about the "Petras did what he needed to do" type statements. I mean sure - but that's a super low bar when you get two defensive touchdowns and allow six points.

I don't hate the guy, but he was objectively unimpressive Saturday.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
On that point, I've thought about the turnover thing recently. I think we would evaluate conservative / mediocre offense a little differently if more people acknowledged that a punt is still kind of a turnover.

fossilhawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I've never quite understood the logic that an amazing defense makes mediocre QB play good because you're not losing the game.

I mean, I understand actively not losing the game with QB play, but maybe with your amazing defense it would be nice to have good QB play and have an amazing team?

Like Nate Chandler is a great comp. Yeah, 10 wins is good at Iowa and I loved watching that team. But score more than 10, 10, and 14 points in those losses and we could be talking about an all-time Iowa team.
The logic is less "it's good, actually, to have lukewarm QB play with a good defense" and more "it'd be nice for once to have good QB play, but with this defense it's tolerable, I guess."

Do I want a QB that can make plays and is better than Petras? Sure. Did his performance against Indiana cost us the game? No. He didn't completely fuck up, which is both (1) an improvement from this time last year and (2) better than some QBs that Ferentz has had (see e.g. Christensen, Reimers, 2012 Vandenberg, Rudock (if Rudock doesn't horrifically telegraph a late out throw against NIU we win that game in 2013)).

I would love more, but I don't expect much more from any Iowa QB not named Chuck Long.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
On that point, I've thought about the turnover thing recently. I think we would evaluate conservative / mediocre offense a little differently if more people acknowledged that a punt is still kind of a turnover.
Interceptions are arm punts

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
For some reason I don’t dislike him or at least the decision to play him as much as I did JC. Maybe it’s that I don’t think there’s a Ricky Stanzi on the bench; maybe I hold wrong handed QBs to a higher standard
We are winning.

thrawn

Reaction score
For some reason I don’t dislike him or at least the decision to play him as much as I did JC. Maybe it’s that I don’t think there’s a Ricky Stanzi on the bench; maybe I hold wrong handed QBs to a higher standard
Petras looks closer physically, he just doesn’t have the mental calm side. JC was short, had an even shorter neck, a beer belly, and would fire passes at guys’ feet.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Petras looks closer physically, he just doesn’t have the mental calm side. JC was short, had an even shorter neck, a beer belly, and would fire passes at guys’ feet.
And he was an asshole. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Spencer Petras to be my friend, I want him to be a good quarterback, but it’s a little easier to go both barrels on an asshole.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
Ol' Jake C. 35 years old now, nearly 13 years removed from his last snap at Iowa and still taking regular flak for disappointing the shit out of all of us.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Obviously, Alabama is on a whole different level, but, they are whole new level with the offense philosophy change. They score a lot and eliminate lower scoring close games. Have a great defense and be more aggressive on offense with good QB play.

Gushawk

Reaction score
Man it still pisses me off how long it took CJ to see the field. Only McCann in 01 infuriated me more

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score

Things like this always make me wonder.

On the one hand, it's a credit to Iowa to be in this company when it doesn't get the same level of recruits.

On the other, these programs (sans Michigan) have better on-field results.

Is it just that our NFL players are concentrated in certain positions? Is it the offensive scheme?

Reaction score

On the one hand, it's a credit to Iowa to be in this company when it doesn't get the same level of recruits.

Is it just that our NFL players are concentrated in certain positions? Is it the offensive scheme?
It's depth. Iowa almost always has a position or two that is notably worse than the rest of the team, and key injuries damage us badly. Alabama lost one of the 2 or 3 best WRs in the nation for most of the year last year and set almost every offensive record that exists.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score

Skill position weakness.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
It's depth. Iowa almost always has a position or two that is notably worse than the rest of the team, and key injuries damage us badly. Alabama lost one of the 2 or 3 best WRs in the nation for most of the year last year and set almost every offensive record that exists.
The closest Iowa has probably ever been to having balanced talent throughout the team was 2009-10.

You'd think the planets would occasionally align more often.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Skill position weakness.
ESPN has 34, so not sure which player they have PFF doesn't, but if you break it down, it's:

Defense - 17. 5 linemen, 12 secondary (Phil Parker is a god)
Offense - 17. 10 linemen, 7 tight ends, 3 skill position players. And the 3 skill position players are Beathard, ISM, and Sargent, none of whom are going to be NFL starters this year. I suppose Beathard is debatable, but he's a journeyman placeholder until Lawrence is ready.

So basically, of the 33/34 players, there is not a single skill position player who is an NFL caliber starter among them. Which Iowa's relative ranks in defense & offense the past few years would bear out.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score

Iowa’s numbers are always inflated by late round players. A team like Bama or Oklahoma has very few players drafted after the 3rd round

gohawkeyes811

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
ESPN has 34, so not sure which player they have PFF doesn't, but if you break it down, it's:

Offense - 17. 10 linemen, 7 tight ends, 3 skill position players. And the 3 skill position players are Beathard, ISM, and Sargent, none of whom are going to be NFL starters this year. I suppose Beathard is debatable, but he's a journeyman placeholder until Lawrence is ready.

So basically, of the 33/34 players, there is not a single skill position player who is an NFL caliber starter among them. Which Iowa's relative ranks in defense & offense the past few years would bear out.
The fact that Iowa has so many guys on NFL rosters shouldn't lead one to think they have underperformed on the field as a team in my opinion.

Obviously what you said, Mikey, is true regarding the lack of overall skill players.

But I actually think that the only reason Iowa has been a solid team year in and year out is because of how they recruit, develop, etc. They know who they are and quite frankly it's unrealistic to think they can compete with those other teams. Not saying they shouldn't go after more skilled guys or they shouldn't put more of their skilled guys on the field earlier, but they clearly know what they are doing.

Only 11 teams have made the playoff since it began, and we all know Iowa was right there outside of one play in 2015.

That's why it was so great when Ferentz fought through all the bullshit last summer. One wrong move and this program could be in the toilet for quite some time (a la Tennessee or others).

Reaction score

I think a big part of the problem with WR/RB recruiting is that it's easier for every other team to correctly grade them so there is a lot more recruiting competition. Most of the good ones come in at or near their playing weight with very little real development to be done. Contrast that with the TE position where Iowa has been pulling elite talent in large part because other schools are completely wrong about what the ideal TE recruit is.

OL/DL - In ideal scenarios, we can compete with almost any team in recruiting. Great development as well.

LB/DB - Some examples of recruiting success (Jacobs), but most of those guys were recruiting misses by other teams or guys who developed. Highly unpredictable because of the on-the-fly decision making stress that Iowa demands from both positions and Phil is better at evaluating the mental side than almost anyone. The Iowa guys who make it in the NFL rarely have elite speed/size, but they all have elite instincts and ability to read the game.

The QB thing is a separate issue. I think the staff sees a market inefficiency as most teams abandon less mobile dropback passers in favor of more mobile QBs. They think they can get higher quality passing talent by going against the trend. It's certainly a debatable strategy at this point, but their reasoning is thought out.

Reaction score
Any anecdotes about what KF’s pregame speeches are like? I couldn’t find any videos on YouTube.

The only thing that comes to mind for me was the 2002 Michigan game when KF asked everyone on the team who had an offer from the Wolverines to raise their hand.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Any anecdotes about what KF’s pregame speeches are like? I couldn’t find any videos on YouTube.

The only thing that comes to mind for me was the 2002 Michigan game when KF asked everyone on the team who had an offer from the Wolverines to raise their hand.
I remember one speech being in the background of a YouTube video. I thought it was the 2010 orange bowl but I can’t find it. Basically it was his behind the closed door speech as the audio while it showed the video of the team kicking ass. The speech was calm demeanored, he made it all business but explained the opportunity they had in front of them and how they should be excited by it, but that they were prepared.