**Official 2021 Iowa Football Season Thread**

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
Taylor has to be damn near a lock, too.
Don't they usually go on average when naming the All American? Taylor is currently 13th. With Taylor it is more about placement than huge kicks (like Reggie Roby, Iowa's last All American punter).

L. Wade Childress

The Spencer Petras of HALO
Reaction score
Don't they usually go on average when naming the All American? Taylor is currently 13th. With Taylor it is more about placement than huge kicks (like Reggie Roby, Iowa's last All American punter).
our offense is too good! It’s costing Taylor all American status!!

Squat Cobbler

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
The Rutgers punter may be better than Taylor. He's had 27 punts, 16 inside the 20, and 0 touchbacks. His average is about the same as Taylors. Taylor has had 40 punts, 21 inside the 20, and 7 touchbacks.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Average and name recognition. Taylor had big days with lots of buzz on nationally televised games vs ISU and PSU. If Iowa stays in the top 5 and he has another big performance against I guess Nebrantska, he'll be right there.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Watching Rich Eisen today, he had Jack Campbell on. One of his sponsors is Gorilla Glue and they have “the toughest player in the world” award that comes with some NIL cash. Campbell got the award and was a quality interview. Kudos to him.

Reaction score
Name ring a bell with you old guys?

That really sucks. I remember the excellent game he had against MSU as a freshman to pull off the upset. Chip will remember more of the details, but I recall the general consensus being that the Iowa coaches would be very conservative with what they would let Poholsky do since he was an unproven freshman. That wasn’t the case and Poholsky seized the day.

Reaction score
That really sucks. I remember the excellent game he had against MSU as a freshman to pull off the upset. Chip will remember more of the details, but I recall the general consensus being that the Iowa coaches would be very conservative with what they would let Poholsky do since he was an unproven freshman. That wasn’t the case and Poholsky seized the day.
Poholsky had a good game that day at MSU in '86...filled in for an injured Vlasic. Hawks won it when one of our DBs (Sims?) picked off a Dave Yarema pass in the endzone. The QB situation going into '87 was up in the air...Poholsky, Chuck Hartleib, and Dan McGwire were all vying for the job. I think McGwire got the first couple of starts but didn't do well...I remember Hartleib playing a lot in the Kickoff Classic vs Tennessee. Poholsky didn't do much either...may have gotten hurt at some point...don't remember. Chuck grabbed the job later in the '87 season and had quite a career.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Poholsky had a good game that day at MSU in '86...filled in for an injured Vlasic. Hawks won it when one of our DBs (Sims?) picked off a Dave Yarema pass in the endzone. The QB situation going into '87 was up in the air...Poholsky, Chuck Hartleib, and Dan McGwire were all vying for the job. I think McGwire got the first couple of starts but didn't do well...I remember Hartleib playing a lot in the Kickoff Classic vs Tennessee. Poholsky didn't do much either...may have gotten hurt at some point...don't remember. Chuck grabbed the job later in the '87 season and had quite a career.
Brent Musberger and Ara Parseghian on the call.

Reaction score
They each had an equal shot in the Kickoff Classic. Each produced a TD, but Hartlieb caught crap for coming in cold and pitching an option pitch to Tennessee guy for a 95 he touchdown. Otherwise, I thought he looked the best.

Poholsky inexplicably got the nod for game two @Arizona, but was totally ineffective. Hayden finally lifted him for Hartlieb about halfway through the 4th quarter, down 14-6. Chuck led them to a FG and TD (failed 2-point conversion) for the 15-14 win.

Chuck got the start @ISU and hit 15-18 in an easy win. All three got chances at home vs Kansas State and each had 2 interceptions.

It was back to pre-season darling McGwire for the conference opener vs Michigan State. He started off well, as the Hawks took a 14-7 lead, but was ineffective in the second half before suffering a late 4th quarter injury. Hartlieb came in and went 6-6, but got sacked on 4th down at about the 20-25. 19-14 loss.

Chuck went the rest of the way, compiling a 9-1 starting record and earning his first all-conference award. I don't think anyone has matched his 9.5 y/a and 161 QBR for a season.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
They each had an equal shot in the Kickoff Classic. Each produced a TD, but Hartlieb caught crap for coming in cold and pitching an option pitch to Tennessee guy for a 95 he touchdown. Otherwise, I thought he looked the best.

Poholsky inexplicably got the nod for game two @Arizona, but was totally ineffective. Hayden finally lifted him for Hartlieb about halfway through the 4th quarter, down 14-6. Chuck led them to a FG and TD (failed 2-point conversion) for the 15-14 win.

Chuck got the start @ISU and hit 15-18 in an easy win. All three got chances at home vs Kansas State and each had 2 interceptions.

It was back to pre-season darling McGwire for the conference opener vs Michigan State. He started off well, as the Hawks took a 14-7 lead, but was ineffective in the second half before suffering a late 4th quarter injury. Hartlieb came in and went 6-6, but got sacked on 4th down at about the 20-25. 19-14 loss.

Chuck went the rest of the way, compiling a 9-1 starting record and earning his first all-conference award. I don't think anyone has matched his 9.5 y/a and 161 QBR for a season.
Chuck is probably sweating out Spencer Petras' tenure.

douglasbader

Posts “Hawks by a million” on Facebook
Reaction score
Here is some good updated statistical news for Iowa fans, and that is Spencer Petras is slowly turning himself into a solidly mediocre Power 5 QB instead of possibly the worst Power 5 QB in the country.

He's up to #71 in Passing Efficiency. #66 in Completion Percentage. In the 70's or 80's for other key QB stats. These are massive improvements compared to where he was earlier.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Here is some good updated statistical news for Iowa fans, and that is Spencer Petras is slowly turning himself into a solidly mediocre Power 5 QB instead of possibly the worst Power 5 QB in the country.

He's up to #71 in Passing Efficiency. #66 in Completion Percentage. In the 70's or 80's for other key QB stats. These are massive improvements compared to where he was earlier.
I’m telling you, last week he drove right up to the corner.

Floyd R

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

This isn't at shot at you Dougie. It's more for the Hawkeye Heaven fan but folks need to stop bitching about Spencer. He is much better than NW last year. He might throw the best deep ball in the KF era and he's shown with a squeaky clean pocket that he can be very good.
I'm not saying he's at the CJB/Tate/Banks level but he is definitely closing in on Stanzi/Stanley/Chandler tier.