**Official 2021 Iowa Football Season Thread**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I remember one speech being in the background of a YouTube video. I thought it was the 2010 orange bowl but I can’t find it. Basically it was his behind the closed door speech as the audio while it showed the video of the team kicking ass. The speech was calm demeanored, he made it all business but explained the opportunity they had in front of them and how they should be excited by it, but that they were prepared.
There was his "Play Tough/Physical/Smart" speech as the voice over of one of the videos recently in the last few years. He's all business before games.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
Kirk grew up admiring Chuck Noll: https://www.thegazette.com/sports/ferentz-idolized-chuck-noll/

This is what Rocky Bleier said of Chuck:

Chuck loved teaching moments, but he wasn’t an orator or a motivator. Chuck would say, “It’s not my job to hold your hand. It’s my job to take motivated people and show them how to become better.”

I read Noll’s authorized biography and the similarities between the two are striking. Both are/were educators first, who thought winning was derived from devotion to mastering fundamental techniques. Both are also slightly aloof and distant.

Last edited:

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Did you know the Steelers have a different Pantone than Iowa? I did not until I googled it today. Cool story

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
That PSU game October 9 could be something.

Reaction score
Unsung hero of the defense so far: Noah Shannon. DL, especially DT, was an even bigger question mark than OL going into the season. Both starting DTs from last year are now in the NFL. Shannon has been really steady there and is the anchor so far. He has "graded well" in both week according to PFF.

Reaction score
Unsung hero of the defense so far: Noah Shannon. DL, especially DT, was an even bigger question mark than OL going into the season. Both starting DTs from last year are now in the NFL. Shannon has been really steady there and is the anchor so far. He has "graded well" in both week according to PFF.
I was not expecting much from the group when the staff was offering grad transfer DTs in the offseason, but they have certainly stepped up.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
A Hawkeye thing is on 3rd and longs we have the DL milling around to confuse the OL protection and they leave from the same spots they would have if they were in the traditional alignment every single time.

Last edited:

Gushawk

Reaction score
he doesn’t finish a ton of plays in the backfield, but he’s back there disrupting shit quite a bit

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
I was not expecting much from the group when the staff was offering grad transfer DTs in the offseason, but they have certainly stepped up.
Logan Jones should be back soon too, which will obviously help

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
A Hawkeye thing is on 3rd and longs we have the DL milling around to confuse the OL protection and they leave from the same spots they would have if they were in the traditional alignment every single time.
I want to gouge my eyes out every time I see. That "scheme" was about the only thing that could neutralize Epenesa from getting pressure. If it's a bunch of linebackers I can deal with it but telling mostly Dlinemen to stand up and walk back and forth a 1+ yard from the LOS is retarded.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Let's see how the entire season plays out, but the talent and speed on defense is just different than it has been in a long time. Benson was seen as the weak link at LB and he's hugely improved and fucking awesome so far. Campbell / Jacobs are as elite in both size and speed as we have ever had. The CB's are incredibly solid and likely All-Big Ten and NFL players. The weak link in the secondary is Koerner, but he's solid at worst.

The defensive line by committee approach is working with cagey vets and lots of young talent that will get better and better. It would have been great to have Nixon play with this group, but they are more than capable without him. YaYa Black is a load for anyone to move.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Koerner has been good

Gushawk

Reaction score
Agree on Koerner. He got hisself inverted on the long play before half, but is usually in the right spot and is a great tackler with thump.