**Official 2021 Iowa Football Season Thread**

Reaction score
agree, you kind of wonder if they’re concerned about putting too much on his plate. hell, given their size you could put BOTH he and Campbell out there in the front 4 on 3rd and long
At least on Saturday, Jacobs was locked up on Kolar on every 3rd and long. When your two best coverage LBs are also potential pass rushers, choices have to be made.

Pedro

Athletic Lumberjack
Reaction score
I hate to get out over my skis, but this season could be really impressive.

If PSU handles their business against Auburn and Wisky beats ND/Mich we could have two more top 10 matchups before the end of conference play.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I hate to get out over my skis, but this season could be really impressive.

If PSU handles their business against Auburn and Wisky beats ND/Mich we could have two more top 10 matchups before the end of conference play.
I think so but Brian is going to have to find some creative ways to get the offense going. This defense is legit and ST look damn good as well.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Has there been any mention of the guitar on national tv this year?

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
“I feel like what makes this defense so good is we’re all close,” Jacobs said. “We all want to see each other succeed, we all have a standard for each other and we all trust each other. So, when we’re running out on the field, we know all 11 players have each other’s backs. And when you do that, you start thinking a lot less and you can just fly around and do your job because you know the person next to you is going to do their job.”

It’s those comments that left Ferentz welling up and fumbling his words.

“That’s why you coach,” Ferentz said. “You just enjoy watching young people grow. I sound like an old guy now calling them young people, but they are. They’re players, they’re college guys and it’s just fun to watch them come in and grow together and do things together, do things that are hard. That’s how you get to a place like this because there was nothing easy (Saturday).”

ddevries

Loved and Defended Kirk's Son Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
2:30pm kick time for Colorado State.

Next Monday is the big announcement: Do we get a night game for Penn State or are we doomed to 11am because of FOX?

Reaction score
Probably 11AM if PSU and Iowa win all the games until the 9th.

The other candidate for the Big Noon kick would have been Texas/OU, but Texas getting it's shit pushed in by Arkansas took some shine off that game.

Reaction score
ESPN will almost certainly go with Bama/TAMU for their night kick and Gameday unless one of those two lose before the 9th.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
The other Fox or FS1 game is Utah at USC. Big Noon (11:00) game it will be, then.

Edit: Scooped.

ddevries

Reaction score
Forgot about the Maryland game. Guess it’ll be 2 weeks until we find out.

Reaction score
Guessing CBS afternoon game for BAMA/A&M
Yep, forgot about CBS. They haven't lost that deal yet, ESPN has a couple more years to wait before taking that game.

But if UT/OU is on ESPN, it's a lock that PSU/Iowa will be the Big Noon kick.

ddevries

Reaction score
Kakert said in his podcast today he’s hearing Penn State will be a night game.

iowa4ever20

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Makes sense. ABC will put Oklahoma vs Texas at 11 to avoid going against Bama/A&M on CBS at 2:30. I’m guessing FOX plans to put PSU/Iowa at night to avoid going against both those games.

Reaction score
FOX has Iowa Penn State and Utah USC.
FOX has the Big Noon Saturday all season I believe

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Spencer has been mediocre, but he hasn't turned the ball over.

On this team with this defense and punter, avoiding turnovers might be all he needs to be.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Spencer has been mediocre, but he hasn't turned the ball over.

On this team with this defense and punter, avoiding turnovers might be all he needs to be.
I remembered what a fucking annoying nightmare the Rutgers game was a few years ago when they had a ridiculous punter that buried Iowa inside the 10 yard line to start every possession.

Now imagine playing Iowa this year with an elite defense and facing the prospect that if you want to score on Iowa, as long as they don't turn it over you have to drive 90+ yards most possessions to score a TD. Since Iowa defense doesn't give up a lot of big plays, that means 12+ play drives without making any mistakes.

Reaction score
The qualifier there is "in a clean pocket" - he's been better than last year when he has time to throw and can set his feet. He's been real bad when he's pressured or has to move out of the pocket and throw on the run. It's going to lead to defenses bringing pressure on him all year long until he proves he can beat them over the top.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Settle the fuck down and be reasonable with the feats of athleticism you’re demanding of your D1 power 5 quarterback here.
Can you imagine how frustrating it would be to try and design an offense with a quarterback that limited?

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Can you imagine how frustrating it would be to try and design an offense with a quarterback that limited?
Given the challenge of teaching somebody to do something that literally 150 other athletes figure out how to do every single year… I might be personally inclined to simply find somebody else

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Absolutely need to be comfortable in the pocket if you are a statue.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
People talk about wanting a "mobile" quarterback. I don't care if he can run. I just want to see a quarterback that can with some degree of competency look comfortable in the pocket.
it’s a main reason Tate was so good, and why Brady is the GOAT

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
In fairness, game experience and consistent OL personnel is a huge part of it.