**Official 2021 Iowa Football Season Thread**

Pedro

Athletic Lumberjack
Reaction score
Brady is a great example of what I'm talking about. He's not scrambling, but he takes a step or two forward in the pocket better than anyone.
This is all that I ask. Just a step or two forward while the pocket collapses behind him will: (a) help him see the field, (b) give him another second or two to make a decision, (c) allow him to run for a short gain if nothing's available.

Is that too much to ask from a second year starter?

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
This is all that I ask. Just a step or two forward while the pocket collapses behind him will: (a) help him see the field, (b) give him another second or two to make a decision, (c) allow him to run for a short gain if nothing's available.

Is that too much to ask from a second year starter?
The only thing I could see the coaches doing different is adding some qb draws just to settle him down a little.

Reaction score
I remember waiting and waiting and waiting for Paul Burmeister to develop some pocket sense. Some guys just don’t have it.

Reaction score
In fairness, game experience and consistent OL personnel is a huge part of it.
He has already played a full B10 schedule, how much more game experience does he need to work out the pants shitting?

The kid has a great arm, but pocket presence is something you either have or don't. It isn't something that's easy to coach up. It's why he looks great in practice where he isn't getting hit (allegedly), then struggles in games.

Hopefully he can figure it soon, because this team is just average QB play away from being an 11 win team.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
People talk about wanting a "mobile" quarterback. I don't care if he can run. I just want to see a quarterback that can with some degree of competency look comfortable in the pocket.
He looks pretty clutch and comfortable here:

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
The run game not being trash would help
Backwards. Do you notice how often the OL successfully engages the first line of defenders and then 2 guys are running free to tackle the RB? It's because generally speaking teams keep their LBs very close to the LOS against Iowa because they're not a threat to stretch the field.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I think some folks here have even a higher bar than I do for this

I would be perfectly happy if he could simply learn when and when not to immediately chuck the ball out of bounds. Against Indiana there were at least two times where he chucked it out of bounds way before he needed to… And versus Iowa State at least two where he didn’t, when he should have

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
I mean he has shown he can stretch the field- multiple TD passes and many nice throws to TE's both caught and dropped. Its more than just that. He needs to be quicker in his reads

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Backwards. Do you notice how often the OL successfully engages the first line of defenders and then 2 guys are running free to tackle the RB? It's because generally speaking teams keep their LBs very close to the LOS against Iowa because they're not a threat to stretch the field.
Maybe so, sure looks like a lot of yards left out there because Goodson is too tentative & indecisive.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
I want a fabulous guitar player as my quarterback that’s for fuckin sure.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
All I want is a winner. The main things I need from my quarterback are 1) don't throw interceptions and then 2) inspire the defense to generate turnovers from the sidelines with his superior leadership.
Campbell was playing 4-d chess

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
He has already played a full B10 schedule, how much more game experience does he need to work out the pants shitting?

The kid has a great arm, but pocket presence is something you either have or don't. It isn't something that's easy to coach up. It's why he looks great in practice where he isn't getting hit (allegedly), then struggles in games.

Hopefully he can figure it soon, because this team is just average QB play away from being an 11 win team.
and he has looked decent in his past 3 big ten starts- 4 overall.

BluesHawk

Goes to Applebee’s for special occasions
Reaction score
So we've all pretty much agreed that if Spencer Petras can make reasonable judgements about what to do with the football, and have some sort of general idea how to move around both inside and outside the pocket, and not look terrified half the time he's on the field, that he just might be an average quarterback. But that really makes you wonder how he's still our quarterback at all and why we don't have anyone behind him that's apparently worth a shit either.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I think he'd be well above average if he could do those things.

It's also pretty easy to imagine Petras looking really good in drills and practice. Making quarterback recruiting far from a priority.

I assume his problems emerge when the bullets fly.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
I think he'd be well above average if he could do those things.

It's also pretty easy to imagine Petras looking really good in drills and practice. Making quarterback recruiting far from a priority.

I assume his problems emerge when the bullets fly.
He's good when he's on time and makes the throw he expects to make from pre-snap reads. He's dogshit when he has to go to second/third reads or deal with pressure. Not really a good way to practice the second part without him getting hit which for sure doesn't happen in practice.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
The run game will be "trash" as long as Petras cannot find the open receiver. A chicken/egg scenario.

Iowa needs to pass more often on first down.
I would have gone play action and thrown deep on the first fucking play on Saturday.

I get wanting to establish dominance but I also think there are times you should use the others team’s aggressiveness against them. That would have been a perfect time as you know those fucking mouth breathers would have lost all discipline on that first play because they want to make the big hit on the first play.

PA for a TD and then turn to their bench and say “you’re right. I am that fucking smart.”

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I remembered what a fucking annoying nightmare the Rutgers game was a few years ago when they had a ridiculous punter that buried Iowa inside the 10 yard line to start every possession.
That was 2019, and he's still at Rutgers. Adam Korsak. He's one of a handful of punters with a YPP higher than Taylor.

We won that game 30-0. But during that game the following punts occurred:

48 yard punt, Iowa starts at the 3
47 yard punt, Iowa starts at the 11
37 yard punt, Iowa starts at the 3
69 yard punt, Iowa starts at the 1
48 yard punt, Iowa starts at the 2
52 yard punt, Iowa starts at the 19

What a bastard.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
That was 2019, and he's still at Rutgers. Adam Korsak. He's one of a handful of punters with a YPP higher than Taylor.

We won that game 30-0. But during that game the following punts occurred:

48 yard punt, Iowa starts at the 3
47 yard punt, Iowa starts at the 11
37 yard punt, Iowa starts at the 3
69 yard punt, Iowa starts at the 1
48 yard punt, Iowa starts at the 2
52 yard punt, Iowa starts at the 19

What a bastard.
If memory serves, another undeserving player won special teams player of the week. There was an outcry, Rutgers and Iowa were friends for the week yada yada yada

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
So we've all pretty much agreed that if Spencer Petras can make reasonable judgements about what to do with the football, and have some sort of general idea how to move around both inside and outside the pocket, and not look terrified half the time he's on the field, that he just might be an average quarterback. But that really makes you wonder how he's still our quarterback at all and why we don't have anyone behind him that's apparently worth a shit either.
Handling real pocket pressure is probably hard to simulate in practice

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
Of 63 AP votes cast, Iowa had 5 - 3rd place votes. They had 3 - 9th and 2 - 10th.

Iowa State had 1 top 10 vote (8th), and 3 unranked.

Texas still is getting votes as high as 21st (2 votes, 7 total in the top 25).

Last edited:
Reaction score
How does Ritter get on the field before the guys excelling in practice with a lot more speed/athleticism.... Presumably