**Official 2021 Iowa Football Season Thread**

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Iowa has a lot of fans that love the punter and the special teams gunner. I think we have an unusual relationship with our football team relatively speaking.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Did Roberts still play gunner after Moss went out?

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I always enjoy wearing Iowa t-shirts around Clemson, but this week will be just a bit better.

Last edited:

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
The media want a more diverse group of teams in the CFP until it might actually happen, then they go back to wanting the same 4 teams.
Correct. I have seen Wolken, Russillo and others all shitting on others and acting like Alabama should still be #2.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
Has anyone on here heard anything about the staff liking Labus? I noticed he traveled and dressed for the Maryland game and that doesn’t normally seem like Iowa would bring 4qbs to a road game.

thrawn

Reaction score
Has anyone on here heard anything about the staff liking Labus? I noticed he traveled and dressed for the Maryland game and that doesn’t normally seem like Iowa would bring 4qbs to a road game.
I think they try to bring freshman QBs to road games so they can experience things like airplanes, road meetings, and continental breakfasts.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
I think they try to bring freshman QBs to road games so they can experience things like airplanes, road meetings, and continental breakfasts.
yea- it probably is nothing, but it pinged my ol’ walnut brain as interesting.

Last edited:

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
Most teams bring as many QBs as they can.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I am pretty sure they are still under the relaxed travel rules where you can bring more players to away games.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
I am pretty sure they are still under the relaxed travel rules where you can bring more players to away games.
ok that makes sense then. I was under the impression they had gone back to limited travel #s so I thought it was potentially noteworthy that Iowa decided to take 4 qbs to a road game.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I put this in the NFL thread but is better here.... what I don't get about football is why the Ferentz's don't adjust or punish teams for being overly aggressive until they finally stop it. They for whatever reason only seem to be willing to run 1-2 plays each game that really punish the other team and catch them off guard. Yesterday it was the play to Rigatoni to take the lead. Penn State was slamming 9 guys into the box and/or over pursuing and FINALLY Iowa runs a misdirection play that is wide open for a TD. That is great, but why not do it over and over until they stop?

Is this just a weird football thing? I can't imagine a basketball player that could dribble strong with both hands but the defender kept overplaying the right hand leaving the lane open wouldn't just dribble left and take the layup over and over until they sent help or stopped him, and at that point he would just wait to see where the double was coming from and kick it to that side for a wide open three or layup.

Not sure why Iowa refuses to do this.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I put this in the NFL thread but is better here.... what I don't get about football is why the Ferentz's don't adjust or punish teams for being overly aggressive until they finally stop it. They for whatever reason only seem to be willing to run 1-2 plays each game that really punish the other team and catch them off guard. Yesterday it was the play to Rigatoni to take the lead. Penn State was slamming 9 guys into the box and/or over pursuing and FINALLY Iowa runs a misdirection play that is wide open for a TD. That is great, but why not do it over and over until they stop?

Is this just a weird football thing? I can't imagine a basketball player that could dribble strong with both hands but the defender kept overplaying the right hand leaving the lane open wouldn't just dribble left and take the layup over and over until they sent help or stopped him, and at that point he would just wait to see where the double was coming from and kick it to that side for a wide open three or layup.

Not sure why Iowa refuses to do this.
I've noticed that as well. It's like they want to keep that advantage in their pocket until they really need it, as opposed to using it until the opposition adjusts.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I've noticed that as well. It's like they want to keep that advantage in their pocket until they really need it, as opposed to using it until the opposition adjusts.
I think they think these plays are limited magic beans that you don't bring out until you are desperate because there are only so many. It has to be pure philosophy as I don't think for a second that is the case if teams are overplaying you. They essentially are giving you a truckload of magic beans and begging you to use them against them.

You see the same thing in a few other sports though. Baseball seems to be the obvious other one where teams will go into a crazy heavy shift where they have nobody on one side of the field and all a team would need to do is drag bunt or slap the ball that way until they stopped doing it. For whatever reasons, teams won't consistently do it like it is cheating or something.

Is it pride? No idea why, but if a team is giving you something so obvious, just take it until they stop.

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score
I have everything but the tickets for Indianapolis. That is the easiest part though.
Would buying from stubhub be the best option? Also (and I hate to ask this), is it easy to re-sell tickets purchased from stubhub if things don’t work out the way we want?

douglasbader

Reaction score
Would buying from stubhub be the best option? Also (and I hate to ask this), is it easy to re-sell tickets purchased from stubhub if things don’t work out the way we want?
Here is the thing to ask yourself..... how much are you going to save by buying them now compared to how much are you going to lose by having to sell them later.

The very best case scenario is you might save a little money, but it won't be a ton. The worst case is Iowa doesn't make the game and you would be out a bunch of money because the only other West team at this point would be Wisconsin and their fans won't travel well to the game.

The most likely scenario is if you wait you are going to catch people in the same scenario dumping out of their tickets if their team doesn't make it.

From the history of looking at it, tickets get cheaper the closer you get, not more expensive. But who knows.

HawkeyeJonesEsq

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I am not worried about getting tickets, but am now mad at myself for not pulling the trigger on a reservation at St. Elmo's which was open as of Friday afternoon. Now the only table is at 8:45 on Saturday night.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Got the room last week and went ahead with the tickets (Stubhub) today.

Hadn’t even thought of St Elmos reservations. Dammit.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Nate Kaeding bought our dinner at St. Elmo’s at the BTT in 2011. Good meal and good shrimp cocktail