**Official 2021 Iowa Football Season Thread**

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Why use a swiss army knife that's as sharp as a butter knife?

I'd probably rather see him play than Rigatoni, but at this point there's no reason he should be taking reps from Jones, Johnson, and Bruce.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
He got beat out by a transfer and two true freshmen and he’s blaming others.

I wouldn’t mind seeing him on the field in the slot with 4 wide outs. With Padilla I think they’d have success spreading the field more. Otherwise he doesn’t deserve to see the field.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
I doubt Keagan or ABIV give a flying fuck about his tweet. And that’s all that matters to me.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I’m not sure how accurately drops are tracked at the college level… but I feel pretty comfortable saying he leads the team in them over the last two years

this offense doesn’t have the type of volume that allows for mistakes and lost opportunities like that

HawkeyeJonesEsq

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I remember that one time Fant, or probably more his family, went to social media to lobby for more action. It worked out great for him, and didn't result in him not being targeted at all for three games.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Purdue and Wisconsin games....

- 10 sacks given up
- 4 INT's
- 2 fumbles via sack or behind the line tackle
- Both games blowout losses

After these games, the offensive line was declared broken, terrible, worst players in the history of Ferentz and more.

Northwestern and Minnesota games....

- 2 sacks
- 0 INT's
- 0 fumbles via sack or behind the line tackle
- Won both games

Gee, I wonder what changed?? It's almost as if your QB isn't a giant immobile sack of pants shitting shit that your line and offense suddenly looks a lot better.

Last edited:

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
That Indianapolis pipeline that brought in some talent has had pretty underwhelming results thus far.

Johnson - insane person, transferred
Brents - talented but injury issues. Transferred
Tracy - meh
Britt - despite being a personal KIRK FERENTZ RECRUIT!!!, meh results on the field
Craig - actually playing well and part of the dline rotation
Higgins - coaches like him but tbd

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Purdue and Wisconsin games....

- 10 sacks given up
- 4 INT's
- 2 fumbles via sack or behind the line tackle
- Both games blowout losses

After these games, the offensive line was declared broken, terrible, worst players in the history of Ferentz and more.

Northwestern and Minnesota games....

- 2 sacks
- 0 INT's
- 0 fumbles via sack or behind the line tackle
- Won both games

Gee, I wonder what changed?? It's almost as if your QB isn't a giant immobile sack of pants shitting shit that your line and offense suddenly looks a lot better.
Yea the staff should have moved on from Peaches a while ago. They suck at identifying QBs that match their team/system. Might have cost us the West this year.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Yea the staff should have moved on from Peaches a while ago. They suck at identifying QBs that match their team/system. Might have cost us the West this year.
Seems simple but their formula was working of not turning the ball over, working off of short fields and turning it over to the defense to win. Once that stopped working it was time to move on.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Seems simple but their formula was working of not turning the ball over, working off of short fields and turning it over to the defense to win. Once that stopped working it was time to move on.
Honestly, I think it’s complete idiocy to say “well it was working!!!” Anyone that didn’t see the inherent flaws and impending danger should be slapped in the face.

There are probably 2000 posts on Halo alone from the last 18 months that Iowa was going to be in deep shit the minute they needed the offense to go win a game

douglasbader

Reaction score
That is the area where I always think the hubris of the staff and their gameplan fucks them every year. Trying to rely on your Defense over and over to either get 3 and outs or create turnovers doesn't work over a 12 game season most of the time. At least a couple games the defense is going to shit the bed and you better be able to do something on offense.

Renegade_ofFunk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I think they would have lost to Purdue but they arguably could have beaten Wisconsin, who had like 270 total yards of offense in that game. Iowa fucked themselves with turnovers, untimely sacks of a shitty QB with no awareness, play calling trying to work around it and the general stupidity of playing right into Wisconsin’s strengths. The defense wasn’t perfect but they at least held serve.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I think they would have lost to Purdue but they arguably could have beaten Wisconsin, who had like 270 total yards of offense in that game. Iowa fucked themselves with turnovers, untimely sacks of a shitty QB with no awareness, play calling trying to work around it and the general stupidity of playing right into Wisconsin’s strengths. The defense wasn’t perfect but they at least held serve.
I whole-heartedly endorse this position. I was at the Penn State game and the Purdue game. There was ZERO chance in the Purdue game. It was like a totally different team for Iowa those two weeks. I don't know if Iowa would have been able to even beat Iowa State on that day. Just so flat.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Agreed. They were losing Purdue even if Tom Brady (ha!!) was the QB that game, it was almost all on the defense. The offense didn't help, but they went in dry on Iowa with David Bell.

Wisconsin is a game that with a different QB they at least have a shot. They were driving down early in the 3rd quarter to make it a 1 score game even with Poopy Pants.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I *think* that Kirk would tell him to go if he is a solid mid-1st round grade, but not sure if he would argue too much if he wants to come back.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Another guy joining the lawsuit with Wadley

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
FWIW, prior to that tweet being sent, 247 site reported that Tracy was absent from practice today with an illness.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Honestly, I think it’s complete idiocy to say “well it was working!!!” Anyone that didn’t see the inherent flaws and impending danger should be slapped in the face.

There are probably 2000 posts on Halo alone from the last 18 months that Iowa was going to be in deep shit the minute they needed the offense to go win a game
Im not saying I agree with it but unlike fans, Kirk doesn’t give a shit what they look like as long as they win.

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Considering the obvious limitations at OL, DL , and QB, I think the staff has actually done a decent job of getting this team to 8-2. Yeah, there have been some obvious fuck-ups, and we can certainly disagree on philosophy and aesthetics, but consider ISU; veteran team, experienced and capable QB, the most talent they've had in decades. And they're sitting there at 6-4. Or Minnesota....they have a huge, experienced OL, a stable full of talented RBs, and a veteran QB. They also sit at 6-4 and lost at home to Bowling fucking Green.

Yeah I totally get the frustration and the "what could have been" conversations, but when you stop to think about how quickly things could have gone south with these team and how much has actually gone wrong, 8-2 is pretty fucking remarkable.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Yeah, Kirk gets this bunch to the finish line at 10-2 build the statue immediately

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I’m not sure how accurately drops are tracked at the college level… but I feel pretty comfortable saying he leads the team in them over the last two years

this offense doesn’t have the type of volume that allows for mistakes and lost opportunities like that
I bet it’s Nico

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Considering the obvious limitations at OL, DL , and QB, I think the staff has actually done a decent job of getting this team to 8-2. Yeah, there have been some obvious fuck-ups, and we can certainly disagree on philosophy and aesthetics, but consider ISU; veteran team, experienced and capable QB, the most talent they've had in decades. And they're sitting there at 6-4. Or Minnesota....they have a huge, experienced OL, a stable full of talented RBs, and a veteran QB. They also sit at 6-4 and lost at home to Bowling fucking Green.

Yeah I totally get the frustration and the "what could have been" conversations, but when you stop to think about how quickly things could have gone south with these team and how much has actually gone wrong, 8-2 is pretty fucking remarkable.
And when you consider the Gophers and Clones lose a shit ton of starters after this year, it makes it more depressing for those fanbases. Iowa should, on paper, be well positioned to contend for the West next year with a better QB and much more experienced in the trenches.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
And when you consider the Gophers and Clones lose a shit ton of starters after this year, it makes it more depressing for those fanbases. Iowa should, on paper, be well positioned to contend for the West next year with a better QB and much more experienced in the trenches.
If the LBs all come back it should be a damn good team.

CamelTones

Reaction score
That doesn’t make any sense if you’re seeing things that clearly cast doubt on your ability to win *future* games.
Kirks not a go for 2 down 14 type of coach. They continued to trot Troy Johnson out there to cover slot receivers despite all the evidence showing that it wasn’t working. They refused to cover David Bell with more than 1 person. They force the outside zone runs despite having an offensive line that can’t do it. None of this is unique to Petras and Padilla.

They either clearly thought Petras was the best option or really wanted him to be. They now have 2 games of data that show they were wrong. Kirks loyal to a fault, he probably thought it would eventually click for the offensive line and Petras. Getting their asses kicked twice was better for the team long term.