**Official 2021 Iowa Football Season Thread**

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
Kirks not a go for 2 down 14 type of coach. They continued to trot Troy Johnson out there to cover slot receivers despite all the evidence showing that it wasn’t working. They refused to cover David Bell with more than 1 person. They force the outside zone runs despite having an offensive line that can’t do it. None of this is unique to Petras and Padilla.

They either clearly thought Petras was the best option or really wanted him to be. They now have 2 games of data that show they were wrong. Kirks loyal to a fault, he probably thought it would eventually click for the offensive line and Petras. Getting their asses kicked twice was better for the team long term.
No, winning would have been best.

Reaction score
I would kill for iowa to go to San Francisco this off-season to learn the various motions to set up their run game.
Brian - " I actually wound up spending a lot of time in the Castro district. We got an idea for an alt uniform featuring assless chaps a natural fit with finesse outside zone to the short side."

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I would kill for iowa to go to San Francisco this off-season to learn the various motions to set up their run game.
I would absolutely love it. Brian has expressed admiration for their style in an interview, even saying it meshed well with the type of players Iowa recruits.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I would absolutely love it. Brian has expressed admiration for their style in an interview, even saying it meshed well with the type of players Iowa recruits.
Do you know where that quote is, I would like to see it and believe it.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Maybe 2019. IIRC he was saying something to the effect of we shouldn’t try to be the Mahomes Chiefs, but be more like the 49ers.

gable_guy

Reaction score
Do you know where that quote is, I would like to see it and believe it.
I'm guessing this ($) Athletic Dochterman article

How small tweaks have helped the Iowa offense break tendencies without breaking tradition – The Athletic

The impetus for those changes started with the intensity — and often misapplication — of cut-blocking rules. Frequent penalties were called for traditional cut blocks by officials, who were forced to make it a point of emphasis. Coupled with two seasons of sub-4.0 yards-per-carry averages, Iowa’s offensive staff needed to make tweaks anyway. With both wildcat and jet motion, Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz saw how the Minnesota Vikings, Los Angeles Rams and San Francisco 49ers upgraded the zone running scheme with a few small, but significant changes.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score

gable_guy

Reaction score

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Eh. It shouldn't. As a fan of both, no amount of pre-snap motion matters if they aren't threatened by passing game.
The niners are limited a little offensively, but are mostly hampered by a bad secondary and lack of dominant pass rush, imo.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I mean they have a couple guys who have all pro talent on offense. That’s not too bad. Debo was really good last night. What a player that guy is.
He is a great multitool player, but he isn’t (and they don’t have) a great downfield threat. They also look a lot better when he and Kittle play together.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
As gimpy as Moss looked I'm guessing he'll need surgery in the off season. Might not be a bad idea to take the 5th year.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
As gimpy as Moss looked I'm guessing he'll need surgery in the off season. Might not be a bad idea to take the 5th year.
He apparently doesn’t have a PCL in his injured knee at the moment.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Supposedly no surgery needed, just time. Schott said he'd listen if coaches asked about coming back, but not sure if his body can take another season

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
It also goes into effect on signing day Dec. 15th, 2021.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Supposedly no surgery needed, just time. Schott said he'd listen if coaches asked about coming back, but not sure if his body can take another season
I mean, can it take a year on the farm, though? That's where he hurt his damn foot.

Thanksgiving Dinner

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I'm going to cheer like hell when they announce Pooper. Never want to see that fucking guy in a game again
His highlights should be a loop of him muffing the punt at Wisconsin, playing air guitar while walking through the tunnel and dabbing after the Holiday Bowl. I hope he spends the rest of his days unhappy.