**Official 2022 Iowa Football Off-Season Thread**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I think Iowa is on the verge of becoming what Wisconsin was for about a decade if they can fix the QB situation. The defense should be really good again next year with the potential to be outstanding. Also think that the RB's will finally be next level good with both Williams and the freshman coming in. OL will only get better.
Would be nice to get a CB, OL, WR and especially a QB from the portal.

Nothing matters if you don't fix the QB situation and fix it quickly.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
We got a DB from the portal last year and he didn’t play anything more than mop up duty

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
I haven’t seen all the QBs in the portal but I assume any QB you bring in (they won’t) you would be telling them they have the opportunity to start. That’s fine if Spencer and/or Padilla leave but if one of them stays that means you still most likely have the other in the two deep, which is gross. I’d rather see them try Labas unless the transfer is an absolutely proven player.

not that it matters but I think May is enrolling this semester.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I haven’t seen all the QBs in the portal but I assume any QB you bring in (they won’t) you would be telling them they have the opportunity to start. That’s fine if Spencer and/or Padilla leave but if one of them stays that means you still most likely have the other in the two deep, which is gross. I’d rather see them try Labas unless the transfer is an absolutely proven player.

not that it matters but I think May is enrolling this semester.
May isn't enrolling until the summer.

I am going to possibly lose my bet to @Fair and Balanced because Iowa fucked up this QB situation so badly. Unless they get a portal QB (which like you point out they won't), then they have to beg either Petras or Padilla to stay. You can't go into spring with Labas as the only scholarship QB and you can't go into next season with Labas/May as your only QB's. That would be a disaster.

So it is either go after a portal QB that can enroll immediately or Petras is staying to go through an open competition with Labas that will last right up until the week of the first game. From there you have to hope the depth chart is Labas as the starter with Petras/May as the backups.

FUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK

douglasbader

Reaction score
All they had to do was just keep Padilla as the starter against Michigan and Kentucky. If they had done that, you could have sent Petras out the fucking door immediately. Then you would have had Padilla / Labas in the spring and a depth chart of Labas / Padilla / May in the fall.

FUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
The biggest questions by far are:

1. The QB position
2. Will BF fall on the sword and leave. If so, who becomes OC and will that change anything?

Then some other lingering items:
3. Does KOK retire?
4. Linderbaum has to go pro, right?
5. Campbell is the only early entry threat on defense but I assume he stays.
6. LaPorta hinted at leaving early but I can’t imagine he gets a good enough grade. Same with Belton.
7. Is Charlie Jones sticking around?

Minus the QB, the offensive talent is good. Maybe WR needs some added depth. The defense is in good shape as always. Hopefully one of the young guys can develop into a beast of a pass rusher.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I have also noticed that Deuce "Mahomes" Hogan has yet to sign with another school. My guess is he and his mommy are realizing that maybe he didn't get such a raw deal and maybe he isn't that good.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
I have also noticed that Deuce "Mahomes" Hogan has yet to sign with another school. My guess is he and his mommy are realizing that maybe he didn't get such a raw deal and maybe he isn't that good.
Hell walk on at commerce

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
The biggest questions by far are:

1. The QB position
2. Will BF fall on the sword and leave. If so, who becomes OC and will that change anything?

Then some other lingering items:
3. Does KOK retire?
4. Linderbaum has to go pro, right?
5. Campbell is the only early entry threat on defense but I assume he stays.
6. LaPorta hinted at leaving early but I can’t imagine he gets a good enough grade. Same with Belton.
7. Is Charlie Jones sticking around?

Minus the QB, the offensive talent is good. Maybe WR needs some added depth. The defense is in good shape as always. Hopefully one of the young guys can develop into a beast of a pass rusher.
Belton is a threat to leave as well.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The dream scenario....

- NFL firings and staff changes will start in the next few weeks
- Brian announces he is leaving for an NFL job
- KOK retires
- New OC and QB coach hired
- Transfer portal QB is signed

Reaction score
Steve Ferentz is a coffee fetcher for Brian Flores in Miami. Maybe he can take Brian, too.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
They will figure it out. The program is probably in the best shape of my life top to bottom.

t would actually be totally fine with Kirk and Gary retiring.

Barb becomes AD, reporting to a our new female president.

Phil becomes HC
Seth becomes DC
BF goes to OL/TE or NFL
KOK retires
Promote Lavar
Outside QB/pass game hire

Reaction score
It's all so frustrating because the pieces are all there. the D is really damn good, there's talent on the offense, the OL is figuring it out. Looking around the Douche West, Northwestern is seriously down and may be looking at a multi-year rebuild. Wisconsin has been struggling, Badger fans are starting to call for Chryst's head. Minnesota loses a lot next year and appears to have hit their ceiling under Coach Dipshit. Nebrantska may have to fire their favorite son and savior next season.

I'm going to try to not be overly negative and assume that the QB situation is being handled and we'll see changes next year, but we all know the chances are equally good that #7 will be taking the snaps, and that will be a huge wasted opportunity.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
I don’t necessarily want Brian to leave but I don’t want him the OC. He’s a red ass who really hates the B10 teams i also hate and I think at least a decent recruiter.

Id prefer he was the OL coach.

our old friend David Raih just completed a shitty first year as Vandy OC but was statistically ranked higher at 118 than the Iowa 😐

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
A rolling stone gathers no Moss.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
On a related note, Iowa needs to stop losing guys to the late rounds of the NFL. In a developmental program that’s a bigger issue than most probably realize. ONE of the reasons Wisconsin has had the success they have is that they almost always have one of the oldest, most experienced teams in the conference

Watching a guy like Belton, who’s among the most important players on the defensive side of the ball…leave early only to be drafted in the 5th or 6th round would really suck.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
On a related note, Iowa needs to stop losing guys to the late rounds of the NFL. In a developmental program that’s a bigger issue than most probably realize. ONE of the reasons Wisconsin has had the success they have is that they almost always have one of the oldest, most experienced teams in the conference

Watching a guy like Belton, who’s among the most important players on the defensive side of the ball…leave early only to be drafted in the 5th or 6th round would really suck.
This is true

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
Brian to the NFL would be an unselfish move.

Best for the family name. Best for KF. Best for him. Best for Iowa. Best for Mary.

I think it's more likely that he stays because he doesn't think that he's remotely part of the problem.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Agreed, but i don’t think it’s “best for Brian”. Fat pay cut. Less near to mid term security. He’s probably come to terms with the reality that he’s not going to be wanted as a HC.