**Official 2022 Iowa Football Off-Season Thread**

Reaction score
Copeland seems to love Valley's Jack Johnson. If they wanted to poach someone from Phil, AJ Lawson might be logical. He was a pretty good HS receiver, and I don't think he's sniffing the 2-deep on defense. 3 walk-ons are coming in. Indianola's Carter Erickson is coming in as a DB but looked like a good receiver. He ran 10.86 and 22.03 last weekend. Urbandale's Graham Freidrichson, definitely going in at receiver, ran 22.33.

TJ Hall should definitely get a look as a returner. Very dynamic player. Between Johnson, Bruce, DeJean, Nwampka, Wetjen, Hall and maybe Koen Entringer, somebody ought to be able to return kicks and punts. The tough part might be finding someone with Jones' stones in fielding balls and not allowing punts to roll. He saved/gained a crap ton of field position yardage.

Reaction score
Copeland seems to love Valley's Jack Johnson. If they wanted to poach someone from Phil, AJ Lawson might be logical. He was a pretty good HS receiver, and I don't think he's sniffing the 2-deep on defense. 3 walk-ons are coming in. Indianola's Carter Erickson is coming in as a DB but looked like a good receiver. He ran 10.86 and 22.03 last weekend. Urbandale's Graham Freidrichson, definitely going in at receiver, ran 22.33.

TJ Hall should definitely get a look as a returner. Very dynamic player. Between Johnson, Bruce, DeJean, Nwampka, Wetjen, Hall and maybe Koen Entringer, somebody ought to be able to return kicks and punts. The tough part might be finding someone with Jones' stones in fielding balls and not allowing punts to roll. He saved/gained a crap ton of field position yardage.
The bolded was important and will continue to be important if the offense is still a wet turd.

Reaction score

Jack Johnson did look good at the spring practice.

Guessing they have others that can return kicks and punts, Jones was pretty good at it though. KR in the Illinois game was a big play

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Listening to Kakert podcast this morning. Guy that covers Purdue reached out to Kakert last week (lol) and asked if Charlie Jones was transferring. Kakert was really confused then they both said ‘yeah there’s nothing to this.’ Then he saw the news that he was in the portal.

Basically Jones and the Purdue QB became friends while doing some 7 on 7 stuff. Of course the Purdue QBs quarterback coach is Jeff Christensen and apparently he’s the one that set the wheels in motion to have this happen. Sounds like Notre Dame is trying to get involved.

Randazzo said he was interviewing Bret Bielema and after the interview Bielema said ‘that Charlie Jones shit is crazy. Goes through spring ball with one team and is going to end up catching passes for another team within your division a couple months later.’

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Listening to Kakert podcast this morning. Guy that covers Purdue reached out to Kakert last week (lol) and asked if Charlie Jones was transferring. Kakert was really confused then they both said ‘yeah there’s nothing to this.’ Then he saw the news that he was in the portal.

Basically Jones and the Purdue QB became friends while doing some 7 on 7 stuff. Of course the Purdue QBs quarterback coach is Jeff Christensen and apparently he’s the one that set the wheels in motion to have this happen. Sounds like Notre Dame is trying to get involved.

Randazzo said he was interviewing Bret Bielema and after the interview Bielema said ‘that Charlie Jones shit is crazy. Goes through spring ball with one team and is going to end up catching passes for another team within your division a couple months later.’
Sounds like Kirk not liking Charlie Jones was, you know, right.

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
One of the beat writers said that Jones wants to put together a good film reel for NFL and thought he could best do that elsewhere.

Someone should tell old Chuck that he's not going to be an NFL receiver no matter where he plays this year.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Also Milton for Purdue was declared academically ineligible which opened up a spot.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
One of the beat writers said that Jones wants to put together a good film reel for NFL and thought he could best do that elsewhere.
I mean he's not wrong. Running routes while Spence is throwing check down lasers over and over isn't going to impress any scouts.

But lol at NFL

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score

Someone should tell old Chuck that he's not going to be an NFL receiver no matter where he plays this year.
I think it's that attitude that makes him such a good returner. And I'm really bummed he won't be returning kicks and punts for Iowa this year, as he is fun as fuck back there. If the next person to do that is a fair catch machine, again, that is going to suck.

WestMifflin

Traitorous Wisconsinite
Reaction score

My guess is this is going to become pretty common with free transfers/NIL. It'll happen in basketball with midyear transfers potentially playing for 2 teams within a year, too.

Dolomitey

McCarthyist fuck
Reaction score
The "let's poach WR's of all fucking things from IOWA" is quite the strategy for Purdue.
I want to like this but then I remember that David Bell’s athletic testing was well below average and I get sad.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
On one hand, deuce is right: Jones was a better and more reliable receiver than many of you are getting credit for.

But on the other hand, in an offense created by Kirk Ferentz and implemented by Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz and managed by Spencer fucking Petras, it matters absolutely nothing who the wide receivers are because they're never going to given the chance to truly make any consistent impact on football games.

Last edited:

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
My guess is this is going to become pretty common with free transfers/NIL. It'll happen in basketball with midyear transfers potentially playing for 2 teams within a year, too.
Iowa is a Big 10 school and has more resources than most other schools in America but we should keep complaining that Iowa cannot compete because we live in an NIL age

CamelTones

Reaction score
I feel like none of you faggots watched any of the games last year. Jones catches damn near everything that’s thrown to him. I could easily see him stick on an NFL roster as a slot guy and punt returner.
He also dropped the best pass any Iowa QB threw last year in the NW game.

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
I feel like none of you faggots watched any of the games last year. Jones catches damn near everything that’s thrown to him. I could easily see him stick on an NFL roster as a slot guy and punt returner.
Jones can go to hell

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Iowa is a Big 10 school and has more resources than most other schools in America but we should keep complaining that Iowa cannot compete because we live in an NIL age
No one thinks Iowa is unable to compete, which leads to:
Even if he's not most Iowa fans are doing the "poor us" routine
it's not poor us, it's incompetent us.