Reaction score

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
USC likely to lose it's OC. Though he may stay on until after the bowl game

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
This game is gonna come quick. I bet Kirk is stressed as hell.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
Lol.
Ok fine, lol. They have 11 fewer days to prepare for the bowl opponent this year than they had last year. That's not nothing.
This actually brings up something that has been bugging me. Middle tier programs like Iowa only get a couple weeks to prepare for a bowl while when it's all said and done blue bloods like Nebrantska will get, at a minimum, 1,400 days. It's beyond the pale.

Reaction score
Lol.
Ok fine, lol. They have 11 fewer days to prepare for the bowl opponent this year than they had last year. That's not nothing.
What am I missing here? It's the same number of practices as every other bowl prep year, still with over two weeks to prepare for an opponent. If anything, there's fewer off days with this schedule versus a January game.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
USC fan reaction is a mix of apathy towards their program because of the retention of Helton, disappointment they are playing Iowa, disgust towards our pig farming fanbase, and thinking they will blow us out by 6 scores because we don't have the athletes they do.

All in all pretty typical.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
What am I missing here? It's the same number of practices as every other bowl prep year, still with over two weeks to prepare for an opponent. If anything, there's fewer off days with this schedule versus a January game.
Same amount of practices allowed, but a smaller window to get them in. Probably have to do more work during finals week than you're used to doing. Less time for coaches to game plan. Doug's probably right that they'll take it in stride. It just seems like it would be stressful from my perspective.

Reaction score
USC fan reaction is a mix of apathy towards their program because of the retention of Helton, disappointment they are playing Iowa, disgust towards our pig farming fanbase, and thinking they will blow us out by 6 scores because we don't have the athletes they do.

All in all pretty typical.
I take it they're not in on the bacon craze?

Reaction score
This is what concerns me about USC. Yeah it was against UCLA - but their WR production...

:icon_neutral:

upload_2019-12-9_9-37-29.png

Reaction score
UCLA's defense is worse than Iowa's offense. Point being it's freaking terrible

Reaction score
We should ask the Holiday Bowl to have both teams wear the home colors. That way it'd look pretty sweet and we'd think they're Iowa State...

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
It probably just means less work for the young guys. Game prep is likely the same.

douglasbader

Posts “Hawks by a million” on Facebook
Reaction score
This is what concerns me about USC. Yeah it was against UCLA - but their WR production...

:icon_neutral:

View attachment 15724
UCLA is #129 out of 130 teams in passing defense and the #112 defense overall in the country.

You should take absolutely nothing away from that game other than USC obviously has good receivers.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The Pac 12 is a horrendous conference when it comes to pass defense. 9 of their 12 teams are ranked #99 or worse and that includes USC.

USC is #83 overall in defense.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
The Pac 12 is a horrendous conference when it comes to pass defense. 9 of their 12 teams are ranked #99 or worse and that includes USC.

Translation: Throw the damn ball downfield, Nate.

douglasbader

Reaction score

Translation: Throw the damn ball downfield, Nate.
Absolutely. USC will give up huge plays down the field.

The one concerning team stat on defense is USC is Top 30 in sacks, but that may be inflated by how much the Pac 12 passes.

Bob

Reaction score
Their defense is bad but that doesn't always mean anything with our offense, unfortunately.

I'm pretty worried about their passing game. They were really good when Slovis was healthy. He's going to be a great QB and they have a ton of talent at receiver. I've kind of thought there was a little bit of smoke and mirrors element to our pass defense all year that I'm worried gets exposed when there is such an obvious talent gap. The most comparable thing we've seen this year is probably Minnesota and they were moving the ball pretty easily. Need a huge game from Epenesa and the front four or it could be a rough game for Hankins, Moss and Belton.

douglasbader

Reaction score
USC is one of the worst rushing teams in FBS. They are #110 in rushing and #120 in rushing attempts. #10 in passing attempts.

They basically throw the ball all the time and barely run it.

As long as Iowa is tackling well and not giving up huge over the top plays they should have a good game.

Bob

Reaction score
They're pretty much a full on air raid team now (though with a lot more downfield passing than you'd typically see from the more dogmatic version that Leach runs) so yeah I would not expect much on the ground.

douglasbader

Reaction score
That was my question. If they are throwing over the top hopefully the front 4 can be unleashed without worrying about the run.

douglasbader

Reaction score
They're pretty much a full on air raid team now (though with a lot more downfield passing than you'd typically see from the more dogmatic version that Leach runs) so yeah I would not expect much on the ground.
I would guess this would be a 4-2-5 game instead of a 4-3 base game. Joe Evans should play a lot as well.

Bob

Reaction score
Their defense is bad but that doesn't always mean anything with our offense, unfortunately.

I'm pretty worried about their passing game. They were really good when Slovis was healthy. He's going to be a great QB and they have a ton of talent at receiver. I've kind of thought there was a little bit of smoke and mirrors element to our pass defense all year that I'm worried gets exposed when there is such an obvious talent gap. The most comparable thing we've seen this year is probably Minnesota and they were moving the ball pretty easily. Need a huge game from Epenesa and the front four or it could be a rough game for Hankins, Moss and Belton.
I haven't watched USC much, but are they a quick and short passing team or are they long developing throw it over the top team?
Depends on the matchup. They do a lot of quick hitting underneath stuff you'd expect from an air raid that effectively replaces their running game but they're not afraid to take deep shots if they think they have an advantage there. The Utah game was pretty much all deep jump balls where their receivers just whooped Utah's corners because they realized that was their biggest advantage. That was also the third string QB though.

It's actually not the first time we've played against this offensive scheme, Harrell was at North Texas when we played them a couple years ago and it took way longer to pull away than it should have. We mostly held them in check there, but that's obviously a way different level of talent than he has now.

Bob

Reaction score
I would guess this would be a 4-2-5 game instead of a 4-3 base game. Joe Evans should play a lot as well.
Yeah I don't think this is a game where we can sit in base, they're going to spread it out and you don't want a LB on their receivers very often. Hopefully Belton has a good bowl prep

douglasbader

Reaction score
Yeah I don't think this is a game where we can sit in base, they're going to spread it out and you don't want a LB on their receivers very often. Hopefully Belton has a good bowl prep
I hope they let Brents play if he is healthy.

Bob

Reaction score
I hope they let Brents play if he is healthy.
He's only played one game this year right? So he could play and keep his redshirt. No idea where he is at physically though, whenever Kirk talks about him it sounds like he's not in the plans this year.

Bob

Reaction score
He moves pretty well in the pocket but he's not going to take off and run much

Has His Own Office
Reaction score
We are gonna fucking kill their apathetic asses. And it will be satisfying.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I'm guessing Phil will sit back the first half or so to see if he will make mistakes and then eventually send pressure.

Bob

Reaction score
I'm guessing Phil will sit back the first half or so to see if he will make mistakes and then eventually send pressure.
I wouldn't blitz a ton but I think the best hope is to get pressure on him and hope he makes some freshman mistakes under pressure. That's how Oregon beat them.