**Official Colorado State vs. Iowa Football Thread - 2:30pm - FS1**

thrawn

Reaction score
Kind of amazing how much one play can dictate game state. If Petras doesn’t throw the pick with a 62-yard return, Iowa is probably up 10-7 at halftime, nothing is guaranteed but I think the second half is similar with the defense taking over ano Iowa still pulls away and maybe even covers. But that was like a 10-point play.

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
I'm no Petras apologist - he's a below average Big Ten quarterback - but he is not the problem. The offensive line is a sieve and the run game is a mess. Goodson has home run ability, but he misses so many cuts. More Gavin Williams, please.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
When Iowa runs every first down, the offense doesn't go anywhere. Mix it up more often

Reaction score
I'm no Petras apologist - he's a below average Big Ten quarterback - but he is not the problem. The offensive line is a sieve and the run game is a mess. Goodson has home run ability, but he misses so many cuts. More Gavin Williams, please.
Goodson spends way way too much time looking for the 40 yard play instead of taking the 4 and keeping the offense on track.

this isn’t helping a limited QB at all

HawkBall23

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Sadly, its a combination between Petras and the OL.

SP holds on to the ball too long, and even if he doesn't, somehow 3 man DL fronts usually "get home". That can not happen, but it does regularly.

Reaction score
1st down at the 19 against man coverage with inside leverage. You either check into a slant or a go route. Obviously he didn’t see the corner but you have to be smarter than that pre-snap.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
The two completions to Keagan Johnson, the completion to Ragaini, the throw that drew the PI, and the throw to Charlie Jones down the sideline that he couldn’t haul in.

I may be missing a throw or two, but when they finally - FINALLY - decided to throw the ball downfield, Petras threw some really nice balls, and they were overwhelmingly successful. They have to keep pushing the ball downfield to loosen up the defense.

Pedro

Athletic Lumberjack
Reaction score
No more 3-yard crossing routes. No more pass plays where you are throwing it one 1 yard.

What happened when they started throwing it downfield? Generally, good things. More of that.
If they haven't learned by now...

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
OL missed a lot of blocks today and didn’t look cohesive. CSU had a good defense plan and some of their defensive coaches have experience from Wisconsin and Mich St

Last edited:

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
The two completions to Keagan Johnson, the completion to Ragaini, the throw that drew the PI, and the throw to Charlie Jones down the sideline that he couldn’t haul in.

I may be missing a throw or two, but when they finally - FINALLY - decided to throw the ball downfield, Petras threw some really nice balls, and they were overwhelmingly successful. They have to keep pushing the ball downfield to loosen up the defense.
It just needs to happen in perfect rhythm, Petras is above average on those throws with a perfect beat. However, if there’s any disruption to that he’s a disaster, hence the abundance of short/quick routes.

thrawn

Reaction score
No more 3-yard crossing routes. No more pass plays where you are throwing it one 1 yard.

What happened when they started throwing it downfield? Generally, good things. More of that.
You don’t even need seam route. Just actually having the 20 yard deep outs that are a threat for more is going to open up defenses.

Two-yard crossing routes on 2nd-and-9 are hilarious. It’s a gift to the defense.

Reaction score
You don’t even need seam route. Just actually having the 20 yard deep outs that are a threat for more is going to open up defenses.

Two-yard crossing routes on 2nd-and-9 are hilarious. It’s a gift to the defense.
Especially because those shallow crossing routes force him to do what he is the absolute worst at and that is handled pressure right in his face

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
On the bright side, Spencer finally found and hit a wide open receiver on that LaPorta TD. Man was he wide open, just like Tracy earlier when he checked down for a 2 yd pass to Tyler.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
Kirk said post game that they did some things with the defensive front that befuddled the line and that they didn't expect. Still this line run blocking, woof.

Reaction score
54 rushing yards against CSU is a massive problem, I don't care how much of a limp dick Petras has been. Not sure if it's the OL, Goodson, or both, but the run game needs to pick something it wants to be and get good at it. Preferably with 2 TE's and a FB.

I just feel like this offense has no identity at all, it's trying to do everything good and as a result is doing nothing good.

Get back to Iowa football - less shotgun, more TE's and play action under center. And for fucks sake, don't take Keagan Johnson off the field.

Reaction score
I don't know how to do this, and if I did I'm too lazy, but I'd like to see 2nd and 10 play calling over the last few years.

Seems an incomplete on first is almost always followed by a run. Pathological fear of 3rd and 10.
I wager that a stunningly high percentage of drives that begin with an integration on the first town are three and out.

Because second down is almost always a run play that the D is expecting and loaded up for….and because anything more than 3rd and 6 and Iowa is exceedingly comfortable just punting the ball away and playing field position game with Taylor.

That seems like a pretty captain obvious statement, but it’s probably less about the conversion percentage than it is how it happens.