**Official Colorado State vs. Iowa Football Thread - 2:30pm - FS1**

Reaction score
Outside of mentally shutting down whenever pressure comes, I actually thought Petras played well today. The downfield throws were really good to see too.

The INT was a terrible throw, but I hate that play in general. Very high risk low reward.
Agreed other than I think the tunnel is a fine play in the right spots. He should have thrown it into the dirt.

He hung in against pressure and threw some good balls today.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
54 rushing yards against CSU is a massive problem, I don't care how much of a limp dick Petras has been. Not sure if it's the OL, Goodson, or both, but the run game needs to pick something it wants to be and get good at it. Preferably with 2 TE's and a FB.

I just feel like this offense has no identity at all, it's trying to do everything good and as a result is doing nothing good.

Get back to Iowa football - less shotgun, more TE's and play action under center. And for fucks sake, don't take Keagan Johnson off the field.
They do NOTHING on offense to assist the O-Line in the run game. No spreading the field to help get a numbers advantage. No hat on hat going up the field (or very little). No play action behind the linebackers to keep them honest.

Inside zone. Outside zone to the short side. Woof.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
They do NOTHING on offense to assist the O-Line in the run game. No spreading the field to help get a numbers advantage. No hat on hat going up the field (or very little). No play action behind the linebackers to keep them honest.
It would help, a lot, if they had a qb with any pocket presence at all. When things aren’t perfect Spence is terrible. He’s actually bad at play action, he’s bad at the fake, and he freaks out at the time he’s holding the ball. It sucks, and limits the offense incredibly.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
It would help, a lot, if they had a qb with any pocket presence at all. When things aren’t perfect Spence is terrible. He’s actually bad at play action, he’s bad at the fake, and he freaks out at the time he’s holding the ball. It sucks, and limits the offense incredibly.
Agree with all of that as well. I was commenting mostly to those complaining about the O-line. While they haven’t been great they’re fighting against a stacked deck in the run game.

Herbie2

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
When Iowa runs every first down, the offense doesn't go anywhere. Mix it up more often
They threw the ball on 40% of the time on 1st down (not counting the last 2 possessions when they were trying to run the clock out)

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
When Iowa runs every first down, the offense doesn't go anywhere. Mix it up more often
I might be totally wrong and I probably am but it seems like Petras has greater success when they throw on first and second down. I’m beginning to think this is a BF/game plan issue as much as it is a Petras issue.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
At least he owned up to it. I'll give him that.

Still those name mistakes and calling Iowa City the state capital. oof

I mean us Hawkeye fans will gladly accept the viewpoint that IC is the capital of Iowa, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I might be totally wrong and I probably am but it seems like Petras has greater success when they throw on first and second down. I’m beginning to think this is a BF/game plan issue as much as it is a Petras issue.
I think there might be something to that.

But there is also definitely something to the fact that Petras holds on to the ball too long and lacks 'pocket presence'. Way too many sacks given up already this year. Even if don't want to risk throws, still needs to move just enough to get outside the tackle box and throw it away to preserve field position. Way too much lost yardage and (at least) FG opportunities.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
Watched a bunch of the game tonight, Petras had some improvement. Some more vertical throws.

The OL is trending downwards. Both running and passing.

Jack Campbell is a beast.

Keegan Johnson looks promising.

Last edited:

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Notre Dame is sure to pass us, right?

I hated typing that.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
As good as we looked in weeks 1 and 2, we've looked like typical early season Iowa in weeks 3 and 4.

I think losing a non Big Ten West game coming up might be a good thing.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Rewatching the game. Holy shit how do you not call a hold on the QB running TD. Lee gets tackled or he easily tackles the QB. That crew was really bad.
It isn't like there was a lot of traffic around it either. One would literally have to not be watching the line to have missed it.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
It isn't like there was a lot of traffic around it either. One would literally have to not be watching the line to have missed it.
There was a fuck ton of holding. After the one they actually called prior to the fumble, Addazio was out bitching at the refs for the entire next dead ball.

Reaction score

Inside zone. Outside zone to the short side. Woof.
Yeah, I was specifically saying to get away from "spreading the field" and focusing on PA passing with 2 TEs/2 WRs. This team isn't deep in talented WRs, keeping 2 TEs on the field should be the priority the majority of the time.

Petras doesn't read the field well, flooding it with WRs will not help Iowa move the ball. That said, he can throw a decent deep ball if he makes the right read and has time. Reduce the amount of thinking he needs to do. Stop running so much shotgun with 3+ WRs and simplify the playbook.

They have to get good at doing something consistently, it doesn't feel like they have "go to" play or player on offense. Pick a few things and get good at them, flush the rest of the playbook.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
In no world would it be “a good thing” for this team to lose a game. They don’t need a wake up call.
OMGLOL

Can you explain the thought process here? I mean do you see Spencer Petras hoisting this above his head in mid-January after beating Colorado State by 10?

1405452111000-USP-NCAA-FOOTBALL-NATIONAL-CHAMPIONSHIP-TROPHY-UN-65838024.jpeg

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was specifically saying to get away from "spreading the field" and focusing on PA passing with 2 TEs/2 WRs. This team isn't deep in talented WRs, keeping 2 TEs on the field should be the priority the majority of the time.

Petras doesn't read the field well, flooding it with WRs will not help Iowa move the ball. That said, he can throw a decent deep ball if he makes the right read and has time. Reduce the amount of thinking he needs to do. Stop running so much shotgun with 3+ WRs and simplify the playbook.

They have to get good at doing something consistently, it doesn't feel like they have "go to" play or player on offense. Pick a few things and get good at them, flush the rest of the playbook.
Go to is 3 yards to Laporta on 3-8

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score

It seems like a big part of the problem is the passing game doesn't compliment the running game. They did include a couple of misdirection plays in the run game, but they need more of that too.