**Official Illinois vs. Iowa Football Thread - 1:00pm - FS1**

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Here is what I would love for the offseason....

- KOK moves on and opens up a huge salary slot and fresh blood
- Brian is named "associate head coach" and OL or TE coach
- LeVar is named the OC
LeVar is not going to be an OC.

I'd love if he's a future head coach at Iowa, but he doesn't need to be an OC to do that nor is that something he's probably experienced in.

maintain242001

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
It was far worse than that. Started the drive on the 17, then got an automatic first down half the distance to the goal penalty and never got close to sniffing a touchdown.
Yep never had a full back in any plays when we got moved inside the 10

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I'm increasingly convinced, in a no-evidence-conspiracy-theory way, that that's the problem.

I'd bet money that Kirk lets Brian call a few plays then takes over for a bit. That'snthe only explanation for the schizoid offensive play calling that I've got.
I would be shocked if Kirk called an offensive play. Absolutely shocked.

BVHawk95

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I don't hate the way he uses personnel to disguise plays and run different stuff without giving the defense a chance to sub. Bunch formation out of our normal 21 personnel is an example.

He clearly understands the thinking behind constraint plays and some NFL level stuff. Where he's a dipshit is thinking a college team can run an NFL-style offense with the recruiting grounds Iowa has access to.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
No kidding. I’ve sat in on interviews with people who seemed “conceptionally really bright” but couldn’t teach for shit and were, in fact, really ducking stupid in all non-interview situations.

Brian tried to be too cute. He wants to be something he’s not talented or smart enough to be. And it results in running the same fucking jet sweep six times because it worked the first time.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I know Padilla didn’t have a great game…but holy fuck he is SO much better than Peaches. His run, and running through the guy on the boot, let alone the at least six fucking drops.
He was never set up to succeed by his OC. So fucking bad.

Last edited:

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Here is what I would love for the offseason....

- KOK moves on and opens up a huge salary slot and fresh blood
- Brian is named "associate head coach" and OL or TE coach
- LeVar is named the OC
I have no idea why we would expect anything different out of levar at OC

let’s do it.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I would be shocked if Kirk called an offensive play. Absolutely shocked.
Yeah that’s stupid. He’s not calling plays. He may be dictating things like slowing it down or going more run heavy.

Reactions: Jim

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
LeVar has no experience as an OC that I’m aware of.

Id prefer to see Iowa write a big ol KOK sized check to a proven OC at a lower level. Find a young, hungry OC that runs a system that aligns with Iowa’s overall philosophy and talent…that has an established track record, and pay the man.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
LeVar has no experience as an OC that I’m aware of.

Id prefer to see Iowa write a big ol KOK sized check to a proven OC at a lower level. Find a young, hungry OC that runs a system that aligns with Iowa’s overall philosophy and talent…that has an established track record, and pay the man.
Or someone like Ciarrocca

Alan Lomax

Reaction score
I wonder if (and think) Brian would be better in the booth. I know he started there and moved down, but there are some things that are so obvious from above. Like the line getting 5 yards downfield on runs. I really don’t think an OC needs to be on the sideline, especially when you have a quarterback coach on the sideline.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
I may be wrong but the jet sweep worked every time except once. Anyone who doesn’t want the jet sweep in the playbook is a fucking idiot.
The jet sweeps are great unless you call them 17 times a game. They worked early and were successful. They failed more than once due to Brian only having room for 10 plays in his fucking brain and the defense finally catching on.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
I still don't understand the flag on the pass by ragaini. If it wasn't targeting, then there is no way that was roughing the passer. He got hit immediately after throwing.

Alan Lomax

Reaction score
I still don't understand the flag on the pass by ragaini. If it wasn't targeting, then there is no way that was roughing the passer. He got hit immediately after throwing.
It was a terrible call.

JD720

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I don’t think they can review the roughing call. Just the targeting.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
The “plus side” is they played like complete shit and still won.

I’m trying to remember when there was this many drops. They killed multiple drives and fucked up Padillas numbers bad. This thing should have been a goddamn blowout.

Padilla is so much better than Peaches. It’s really not even close.

Brain called an absolutely awful game. I don’t know what else to say. He was throwing shit at the wall for no reason. They probably could have ran right at Illinois with Williams and run PA all day and won comfortably.
Sick and tired of watching Iowa's offense get to the opponent's 20 or 30 yard line only to sputter out. And I don't blame any Iowa player for that. It's all on Brian. He's in over his fucking head.

pjhawk

I am a giant douche
Reaction score
Can't really remember a team like this. Strange season. Maybe the 10-3 in 2003?
2003 team and offense and Chandler don't get enough respect. They beat BiG champ Michigan at Kinnick 30-27 in one of the best games of the Ferentz era, and blew out Glen Mason's best team along with winning a 27-21 thriller at Camp Randall. That team had a functional offense along with the great defense.

2019 is a much better comparison to 2003 than this year.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
There were at 3 drives today that were either 10+ plays or 40+ yards that resulted in just a FG. That was incredibly frustrating to watch an offense move down the field effectively, only to get a series of disjointed plays, and a flaccid FG in return
I don’t believe there was a single three and out all game. After about 5 in a row to start the game vs NW, it seems like that should be progress. But they still found ways to look foolish on offense. Players dropped passes and missed holes, but the play calling was so bad and nonsensical.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
I don’t believe there was a single three and out all game. After about 5 in a row to start the game vs NW, it seems like that should be progress. But they still found ways to look foolish on offense. Players dropped passes and missed holes, but the play calling was so bad and nonsensical.
There were 3 three and outs if you count the one with the missed field goal after starting with a short field.

thrawn

Reaction score
The seasons feel weird now because there’s such a cliff. Up until 2010, you wanted to win the Big Ten but recognized it was hard. So this year, they could finish 7-2 and tied for 2nd with Michigan/MSU/Wisconsin going to the Citrus/HolI day and feel fine enough. With divisions, especially since they went East/West, winning the West seems attainable any given year, they just can’t, and there’s a huge cliff to 2nd, or even tied for first (don’t hang a division co-champ banner).

Then, they went from only having two BCS at-large bids that for all schools that were hard to get if you finished lower than 6th to having the Big Ten getting four teams in NY6/CFP some years and being attainable at #12. And there’s a big cliff from that to the Citrus.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
I wondered the same thing. Targeting should have been the roughing. No targeting, no roughing (although from the stadium replays it sure looked like it was targeting).

I also am not sure what happened on the 2 separate Illinois penalties for 30 yards, with no Iowa off-setting penalties. That was a first for me. There almost always is an offset, and I have never seen the two added together on the same team.

maintain242001

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I may be wrong but the jet sweep worked every time except once. Anyone who doesn’t want the jet sweep in the playbook is a fucking idiot.
Failed twice today I think, once with Bruce and someone else

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I wondered the same thing. Targeting should have been the roughing. No targeting, no roughing (although from the stadium replays it sure looked like it was targeting).

I also am not sure what happened on the 2 separate Illinois penalties for 30 yards, with no Iowa off-setting penalties. That was a first for me. There almost always is an offset, and I have never seen the two added together on the same team.
The Iowa players were trying to walk away. The Illinois players….not so much.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
The production value on some of these lower tier CFB games are so bad. Hope the refs have access to better replay angles than the viewers.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
The seasons feel weird now because there’s such a cliff. Up until 2010, you wanted to win the Big Ten but recognized it was hard. So this year, they could finish 7-2 and tied for 2nd with Michigan/MSU/Wisconsin going to the Citrus/HolI day and feel fine enough. With divisions, especially since they went East/West, winning the West seems attainable any given year, they just can’t, and there’s a huge cliff to 2nd, or even tied for first (don’t hang a division co-champ banner).

Then, they went from only having two BCS at-large bids that for all schools that were hard to get if you finished lower than 6th to having the Big Ten getting four teams in NY6/CFP some years and being attainable at #12. And there’s a big cliff from that to the Citrus.
For those of us who grew up in the 80s, it’s really hard to accept that fucking Wisconsin is now, somehow our white whale.

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
LeVar is going to be an excellent head coach someday. I think he should get a serious look when Kirk retires.

The O-Line looked better today. Goodson was good but Williams is clearly a better compliment to this line.

Padilla is fine and clearly a better option than Petras but that pick was awful. Petras was given the benefit of the doubt for 16 games so they better be patient with Padilla but I get the sense they’ll pull him as soon as he throws a couple of picks in a quarter/half.

Brian isn’t going anywhere. Kirk isn’t pushing him out and Brian doesn’t possess the awareness to realize he’s not getting the HC job.