**Official Illinois vs. Iowa Football Thread - 11am - BTN**

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
at the least, the Hawks shoulda went to the line and hard counted. A five yard longer fg is nbd if they don't draw Illinois offsides.

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
I also feel like the little catchphrase truisms people use in these situations don’t make a ton of sense. I saw two of them a lot yesterday:

“The offense has been inconsistent, take the points.” If the offense isn’t reliable, don’t you need to try to make the most of opportunities you have inside the 10 yard line? And the one thing the offense actually has been good at is picking up a yard on a QB sneak. Moreover (and this was the bigger one for me), Iowa’s run game has been so bad, how do you feel confident in them sustaining long drives to burn clock to protect this two score lead with 14 minutes in the game left?

“Trust the defense.” This is more of a general one. If you trust your defense, don’t you also trust them with the potential of giving the opponent to the ball on like the 7 yard line?

Obviously this is all moot because Illinois never ended up topping the amount of points that Iowa had at that point regardless. They could’ve punted from the seven and it would’ve made no difference.

Reaction score
I also feel like the little catchphrase truisms people use in these situations don’t make a ton of sense. I saw two of them a lot yesterday:

“The offense has been inconsistent, take the points.” If the offense isn’t reliable, don’t you need to try to make the most of opportunities you have inside the 10 yard line? And the one thing the offense actually has been good at is picking up a yard on a QB sneak. Moreover (and this was the bigger one for me), Iowa’s run game has been so bad, how do you feel confident in them sustaining long drives to burn clock to protect this two score lead with 14 minutes in the game left?

“Trust the defense.” This is more of a general one. If you trust your defense, don’t you also trust them with the potential of giving the opponent to the ball on like the 7 yard line?

Obviously this is all moot because Illinois never ended up topping the amount of points that Iowa had at that point regardless. They could’ve punted from the seven and it would’ve made no difference.
Yep. Isn't going for it on 4th and 1 on the 6 actually showing that you trust your defense if you don't get the first down.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
I trust this coaching staff will make the right decision (at the time) about 50% of the time when it comes to late half/game clock management or situational score matters.

They just aren't good at it. But, just because it's the wrong decision doesn't mean it still won't work. It just means there will be extra stress.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score

Right. Both decisions are the right decision while at the same time there’s an argument against each.

Whie Stanley was signaling for them to go for it, Illinois subbed in 2 defensive lineman. That’s the point they decided to kick it.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Some asshole in our section was on his goddamn phone throughout the entire national anthem having a loud conversation. I’ve never seen that before

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score

Right. Both decisions are the right decision while at the same time there’s an argument against each.

Whie Stanley was signaling for them to go for it, Illinois subbed in 2 defensive lineman. That’s the point they decided to kick it.
I had no problem with the decision at that point, particularly when I noticed the Illini substitution. Personally I liked getting up by 2 scores at that point. I could see a situation with their speed on defense and shooting a gap to blow up a play on 4th down.

btw, it was apparent early on how much faster they were on defense and continuing to force the zone blocking scheme time again was maddening. I would have liked to see a trap play or counter. You have to make a defense pay in these types of situations. You don't have to abandon the zone blocking scheme but you need to mix up your approach to keep the defense honest.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
I didn’t notice it at the time but 3rd play of the game, big pass to Ragaini, the IL tackler got KTFO. Mouth piece went flying and was rigid. I didn’t see the replay at the time so thought he got the wind knocked out.

Bob

Reaction score
I didn’t notice it at the time but 3rd play of the game, big pass to Ragaini, the IL tackler got KTFO. Mouth piece went flying and was rigid. I didn’t see the replay at the time so thought he got the wind knocked out.
Mouth piece flew like ten yards, it was nuts

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
LOMFL at this! Don’t change the play or anything. 3 yrd loss, btw.

68235397-0C9F-4BD4-82C8-272ABD72725F.jpeg

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

View attachment 15569
There was a (several) shotgun outside zone run that was outflanked about as badly. The line is sometimes asked to do the impossible.
1st down, I-formation, 2 WRs and TE to the wide side. Outside zone to the short side. I’m at 5 losses or no gains and counting. 1st down every time. Fuckin hell.
the way they were running on first downs against stacked boxes continually reminded me of the game years ago when late in the game Iowa kept runnin Adam Robinson into the line and Michigan State was just teeing off on him

Reaction score

View attachment 15569

Halo has been bitching about this for years.

to add a fun degree of difficulty to it, they always run out some 3rd string WR there too that the defense is absolutely comfortable leaving 1 on 1

just to, you know, make sure all 10 of the other defenders can stay in the box

Reaction score

View attachment 15569
On the plus side, I assume that is not Max Pooper lined up wide.
I am going to start bowing any post calling max cooper with the stupid pooper name. Max has been a welcome addition to the punt return game as he actually catches the punt. One day, they might actually start returning them too.

BngHawk

Scumbag
Reaction score
Bows are rapidly decreasing in value. Best to bow the pooper posts twice.