**Official Illinois vs. Iowa Football Thread - 11am - BTN**

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Hey those jet sweeps are working like a charm today aren’t they? Keep going to the well!

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I hate our offense so much
Lol, the coach draws up plays with wide open receivers but Stu's dumbass still hates the offense. They score 24+ if Nate is just average.
This. I thought Brian called a pretty good first half. Overall I don’t mind Brian’s scheme and play calling. At this point it’s pretty obvious that Nate has had a really solid career, but is and always will be a pant shitter

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

thrawn

Reaction score
That was weird. Felt like domination and fuckups keeping it close, but the yardage advantage was only 51. Even though it was one score most of the game Iowa never really felt in danger.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
continually running it on 1st down when they were stacking the box and run blitzing was really dumb

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
That was weird. Felt like domination and fuckups keeping it close, but the yardage advantage was only 51. Even though it was one score most of the game Iowa never really felt in danger.
IL was in red zone once

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
So Iowa kicked a FG on 4th and 1 inside the 10 to make it a "2 score game" with over 14 minutes left to go.

Then, with under 3 minutes to go, when a run play would force Lovie to use a TO and a FG would make it a "2 score game" anyway, they throw a fade out the back of the end zone.

Kirk Ferentz will kill me some day.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
That was boring and unnecessarily close, kind of what we’ve come to expect. I wish the run game was better but that’s going to require a complete overhaul.

8-3 is 8-3 though and I’m pleased they got a win.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Brian isn't the problem. The problem is Nate.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Brian is the problem as well actually. The zone run game is not working anymore.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Nate just can't figure it out. He will throw a dart and then think he has to do it every fucking time. Then he will float a beautiful pass and for some reason throw a rocket on the next play when he doesn't have to.

He missed 3 touchdowns today. Iowa should have scored 30.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Nate just can't figure it out. He will throw a dart and then think he has to do it every fucking time. Then he will float a beautiful pass and for some reason throw a rocket on the next play when he doesn't have to.

He missed 3 touchdowns today. Iowa should have score 30.

Yep. 2-3 completions on the first drive on fastballs...so he decided that he needs to throw one every single time

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Nate has nfl talent. hope he gets a chance with some decent qb coaching

douglasbader

Reaction score
I hope Iowa can win out and have 10 wins and Top 15 ranking. I also am looking forward to what a new QB and hopefully tweaked offense looks like.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
The zone blocking scheme has run its course. It used to work when Iowa could use smaller, more athletic OL against big and slow defenses. Now the defenses are smaller and too fast - the interior linemen in particular just aren’t able to reach their blocks consistently enough.

douglasbader

Reaction score

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Iowa won. I listened to it helping my BiL. I don’t give a shit what it looked like or what mistakes the players made.

8-3, get to 9 next week. Go Hawks

Fair and Balanced

Calls All Soda Coke
Reaction score
So Iowa kicked a FG on 4th and 1 inside the 10 to make it a "2 score game" with over 14 minutes left to go.

Then, with under 3 minutes to go, when a run play would force Lovie to use a TO and a FG would make it a "2 score game" anyway, they throw a fade out the back of the end zone.

It was the right decision.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score

huh?

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
The zone blocking scheme has run its course. It used to work when Iowa could use smaller, more athletic OL against big and slow defenses. Now the defenses are smaller and too fast - the interior linemen in particular just aren’t able to reach their blocks consistently enough.
Ran its course years ago.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

Counterpoint: It was not.

thrawn

Reaction score
I hope Iowa can win out and have 10 wins and Top 15 ranking. I also am looking forward to what a new QB and hopefully tweaked offense looks like.
Nate has been good on net, but I’m not sure I’ve enjoyed one of his performances since the 2017 Ohio State game.

Last edited:

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I don't know that I would go so far as to say zone blocking doesn't work. But for whatever reason (scheme, predictability in formations, down and distance, whatever), Iowa's opponents seem to know when it's coming and just stack the box and overwhelm it far more often than not.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
I don't know that I would go so far as to say zone blocking doesn't work. But for whatever reason (scheme, predictability in formations, down and distance, whatever), Iowa's opponents seem to know when it's coming and just stack the box and overwhelm it far more often than not.
This seems correct. Tendencies kill it more than scheme.

Reaction score
I have not been paying attention but when did btn start having an ugly girl providing input at the desk?

douglasbader

Reaction score
Right. I think zone blocking still works, but not the specific scheme Iowa runs. There is like 4 years of evidence now screaming at them it is time to change.

Reaction score

No it was not.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
nate was good on net, but I’m not sure I enjoyed one of his performances since the 2017 Ohio State game
Nate Stanley is the Iowa football of Iowa quarterbacks. On the whole good, frustratingly never took that next step to great.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Gonna be a contest to see what QB can poop their pants more next week

douglasbader

Reaction score
nate was good on net, but I’m not sure I enjoyed one of his performances since the 2017 Ohio State game
Nate Stanley is the Iowa football of Iowa quarterbacks. On the whole good, frustratingly never took that next step to great.
I really thought after that 2017 Ohio State game he would be an all time great. There were games he was brilliant in, but far too often he was an inconsistent mess.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
In a game full of stupid coaching, Lovie’s dead clock time out left me speechless.