**Official Illinois vs. Iowa Football Thread - 11am - BTN**

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
What are Stanley's best games at Iowa?

2017 @Iowa State: 333 yards and 5 TDs in a high scoring exciting game
2017 Ohio State: 5 TDs in a blowout
2018 @Indiana: 6 TDs in a blowout
2018 Miss State: 3 TDs, has to get some credit for the performance against a great defense

@thrawn is right. There are a few games in there with good stats, but not a ton of memorable individual performances.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I know he hasn't had much of a chance to show anything, but from what I have seen Petras looks like Stanley in too many ways.

If he is an accurate non-pants shitter that would be an improvement.

thrawn

Reaction score

2018 Miss State: 3 TDs, has to get some credit for the performance against a great defense

@thrawn is right. There are a few games in there with good stats, but not a ton of memorable individual performances.
The poopy pants moments were especially frustrating when you look at that Iowa State game. He missed some deep balls that game but led 5 drives of 89+ yards including two in the fourth quarter. But, I never felt confident that he would do that again this year.

douglasbader

Reaction score
In a game full of stupid coaching, Lovie’s dead clock time out left me speechless.
Trying to remember if I've ever seen that before.
I haven’t. I was stunned.
16 seconds left and trying to score. Clock stopped. He watches the play clock run down twice an calls timeouts.

If you said to anyone "What is the scenario here where you could do everything wrong?" somehow Lovie chose it.

douglasbader

Reaction score

The poopy pants moments were especially frustrating when you look at that Iowa State game. He missed some deep balls that game but led 5 drives of 89+ yards including two in the fourth quarter. But, I never felt confident that he would do that again this year.
He needed to be put in an offense that would go tempo and allow him to spread the field and not think too much. Iowa has the opposite of that.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score

That’s because typically a memorable performance requires a win against Penn State, Ohio State or Michigan (maybe Wisconsin) he only got one of those.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Shitty game but Iowa kinda beat the shit out of them physically. They're soft. Nebrantska should be fun. Hopefully it's cold as shit.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
Dolph just said Stanley was spectacular.

The Tin Man

Reaction score
Those refs must have been cold out there and not wanting to extend the game any. They missed quite a few late hits out of bounds, a late hit on Stanley, and a couple missed PI. I’m kind of surprised Stone wasn’t hit with targeting either, although it certainly didn’t look malicious.

It looked early that Illinois would have folded if the Hawks would have scored on their second possession when the TE dropped the ball on the 2 yard line. That seam route to the TE was there all game but Stanley overthrew it two other times. Probably should have put 14 more points on the board. But, that’s football.

If I was Illinois I wouldn’t have tried passing as much as they did. They were giving the defense fits with the run game, but the bend but don’t break worked well today.

8-3. Bring on Nebrantska.

The Tin Man

Reaction score
That on the run throw by Stanley after spinning out of the missed sack was a thing of beauty.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
Iowa has some great young talent coming back next year. With Stanley gone, it wouldn't surprise me if our offense clicks better than it has this year.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
That on the run throw by Stanley after spinning out of the missed sack was a thing of beauty.
Yep. He'll do something like that that makes you jump out of your seat, and follow it up with an overthrow to a wide open receiver. It's been a frustrating year.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Ran its course years ago.
I don't know that I would go so far as to say zone blocking doesn't work. But for whatever reason (scheme, predictability in formations, down and distance, whatever), Iowa's opponents seem to know when it's coming and just stack the box and overwhelm it far more often than not.
Right. I think zone blocking still works, but not the specific scheme Iowa runs. There is like 4 years of evidence now screaming at them it is time to change.
Having a quarterback that can make a team pay makes a pretty big difference with Iowa’s run/pass game.

The Tin Man

Reaction score
Epenesa is really great at slapping the ball out of the QB’s hand when they step up in the pocket to avoid him. I am selfishly hoping that is not the last time we see him in Kinnick.

Floyd R

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Iowa has some great young talent coming back next year. With Stanley gone, it wouldn't surprise me if our offense clicks better than it has this year.
I would be a little more bullish about next year's offense, but losing the OTs to the NFL is sobering.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
In chat AZ said Stone should have been thrown out of the game for that "targeting" play.

Lolol

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score

foxhawks

Doesn't wash his butthole last
Reaction score
In chat AZ said Stone should have been thrown out of the game for that "targeting" play.

Lolol
That’s because he’s a dumb fuck. Dumb fucks say dumb fuck things.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score

That’s because typically a memorable performance requires a win against Penn State, Ohio State or Michigan (maybe Wisconsin) he only got one of those.
hard not to feel like the offense left a win or two on the field this year

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Shitty game but Iowa kinda beat the shit out of them physically. They're soft. Nebrantska should be fun. Hopefully it's cold as shit.
I’m not sure I would say they were soft. They tackled really well and seemed to hit pretty hard. However, they seemed to hurt themselves more than hurting the Hawks. So maybe they are good tackling pussies.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
What’s the story here? Were his parents unable to travel for some reason?
I saw on Twitter that his parents decided they would rather go to the bowl game than senior day.
This type of shit is why the NCAA is a crock of shit. The university should be able to pay for his parents to fly here and back for his senior day.
I was able to track down footage of a fumble Devonte recovered earlier this year.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
What’s the story here? Were his parents unable to travel for some reason?
I saw on Twitter that his parents decided they would rather go to the bowl game than senior day.
This type of shit is why the NCAA is a crock of shit. The university should be able to pay for his parents to fly here and back for his senior day.
Ferentz loves Young and I’m sure he would’ve loved to throw him some cash to help his parents be able to come to his senior day. Not that we needed further proof that Iowa is clean, but here it is

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
You’re an idiot

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I hope Iowa can win out and have 10 wins and Top 15 ranking. I also am looking forward to what a new QB and hopefully tweaked offense looks like.
nate was good on net, but I’m not sure I enjoyed one of his performances since the 2017 Ohio State game
Nate Stanley is the Iowa football of Iowa quarterbacks. On the whole good, frustratingly never took that next step to great.
Which makes him like 99% of QBs. What’s amazing to me is that he will consistently fuck up some seemingly routine throw and follow it up with a throw that maybe 3 college kids can make.

I don’t even find myself pissed, just wondering how good he could be.