**Official Illinois vs. Iowa Football Thread - 11am - BTN**

Reaction score
I like that somehow Illinois had a small chance of winning the West and now their chance was ruined by the hawks

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
I cannot recall a game where the run blocking and pass pro has been so night and day. The pass protection was outstanding and the run blocking was abhorrent.

Granted, I realize that they were stacking the box on running downs.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
I cannot recall a game where the run blocking and pass pro has been so night and day. The pass protection was outstanding and the run blocking was abhorrent.
I can. It happened just today.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score

Granted, I realize that they were stacking the box on running downs.
I just don't know what we expect the line to do after watching some of the running plays again.

Nearly every single running play the line all takes a step in one direction and the entire Illinios team reads it and is slanting and flying into the gaps to blow it up.

All I know is that whenever this team runs a sneak they blow people off the ball 99% of the time. They seem to be far better when getting off the ball straight up the field and putting guys on their ass.

Kirk didn't forget how to coach line play all of a sudden after 40 years. Iowa doesn't lack talent on the line. The only explanation it can be at this point (and watching the game pretty much confirms it) is that other teams have found a way to defend the scheme and defenses overall are much quicker than even 10 years ago.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Our running game sucks. But once we get close to the red zone our lack of running game really hurts us, thus we constantly have to settle for 3

douglasbader

Reaction score
Watch the first Iowa possession of the second half. Multiple running plays with a talented quick back like Goodson and he has no chance.

Every single time the ball snaps, Iowa linemen in unison take a step at the same time in the same direction, the defenders see it and overplay and scream to the gaps. They aren't even trying to watch the ball or the running back, just watching the linemen for which way they are stepping so they can blow it up.

Iowa should be punishing teams over and over for playing like this against them. They should fucking play action / counter / RPO it every time until they stop doing it, but Iowa seems content to continue to slam their head into a brick wall as if it will magically change and the clock will turn back to 2008 and their zone scheme will beat up antiquated defenses.

Fair and Balanced

Calls All Soda Coke
Reaction score

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Shawnee believes that Friday's opponent has one of those antiquated defenses that is very susceptible to having their shit pushed in.

They are called the Nebrantska Cornhuskers

thrawn

Reaction score

Looks like the first sub-60k crowd for a Big Ten team since 2000.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Doug rips Iowa for never changing than picks Iowa to go off for 40 next week

douglasbader

Reaction score
Well, they are playing Nebrantska....

douglasbader

Reaction score
Illinois is a dirty fucking defense and they loved to talk shit all game. Slamming players, late hits, constantly going for the kill shot and yapping the whole time.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
After Wisconsin you said they would light it up last 3 weeks

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I saw on Twitter that his parents decided they would rather go to the bowl game than senior day.
This type of shit is why the NCAA is a crock of shit. The university should be able to pay for his parents to fly here and back for his senior day.
Ferentz loves Young and I’m sure he would’ve loved to throw him some cash to help his parents be able to come to his senior day. Not that we needed further proof that Iowa is clean, but here it is

With the relatively inconsequential punishments handed out by the NCAA lately....the big dick move here would be for the school to fly his parents out, self report the violation with a “yeah, we broke the rules. With good reason, for a great kid. Suck it. We’ll take the penalty.”

Reaction score
Probably a dumb analogy to many here but I kind of look at Nate similar to the Uthoff/Woodbury/Gesell era in basketball. High expectations, some moments of greatness, some dud performances in big spots with lots on the line, some big wins. Great kid(s) and representatives, good overall careers and more good than bad, but a step short of hopes. By the end you can appreciate their careers and like them but be ready to turn the page.

Soda Popinski

Kelly Hilpiper
Reaction score
Nate drove me fucking crazy for 3 years but he was a great QB, great kid, and repped Iowa well. I wish him the best .

douglasbader

Reaction score
Probably a dumb analogy to many here but I kind of look at Nate similar to the Uthoff/Woodbury/Gesell era in basketball. High expectations, some moments of greatness, some dud performances in big spots with lots on the line, some big wins. Great kid(s) and representatives, good overall careers and more good than bad, but a step short of hopes. By the end you can appreciate their careers and like them but be ready to turn the page.
That is actually the best analogy you can make and hadn't thought of him like that. Solid player with a really solid career and a great kid everyone can be proud of.

I still think he has a chance to go out as on top as possible. Beat Nebrantska and win a bowl game against USC for 10 wins and a Top 15 ranking is really good.

Reaction score
Not that it's anything new but talked to a few people down there today and it's all the same stuff about Nate as a kid, worker and team guy. Not a ton of stars in this senior class but a lot of cool stories and high character guys.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Not that it's anything new but talked to a few people down there today and it's all the same stuff about Nate as a kid, worker and team guy. Not a ton of stars in this senior class but a lot of cool stories and high character guys.
Their class has had a really good run. 12 wins, 7 wins, 8 wins, 9 wins and maybe 10 wins.

They helped raise the floor. Can't ask for much more than that.

Renegade_ofFunk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I’m going to let the season play out but I will say that any Iowa fans that would be pissed about 10-3 with this schedule and rash of injuries are complete fucking idiots.

Reaction score
Their class has had a really good run. 12 wins, 7 wins, 8 wins, 9 wins and maybe 10 wins.

And if they beat Nebrantska, they have an awesome record in the trophy/rivalry games despite fucking Wisconsin.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I’m going to let the season play out but I will say that any Iowa fans that would be pissed about 10-3 with this schedule and rash of injuries are complete fucking idiots.

I think you can be plenty pleased with 10-3 and simultaneously wonder “what if we had a dominant running game?”

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Also all white

Last edited:

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Win Friday and this class will have dominated its rivals minus Wisconsin

Thanksgiving Dinner

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

The 2016 team had 8 wins.

douglasbader

Reaction score

The 2016 team had 8 wins.
Sorry, that is correct.

12, 8, 8, 9 and maybe 10.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
So Iowa kicked a FG on 4th and 1 inside the 10 to make it a "2 score game" with over 14 minutes left to go.

Then, with under 3 minutes to go, when a run play would force Lovie to use a TO and a FG would make it a "2 score game" anyway, they throw a fade out the back of the end zone.

Kirk Ferentz will kill me some day.
Of course this is a popular sentiment here, but it’s actually dumb.

Going up two scores took on a different meaning once there was under three minutes left. At that point it’s going to take an onside either way so there’s much better value in trying to make them have to get two TDs.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
So Iowa kicked a FG on 4th and 1 inside the 10 to make it a "2 score game" with over 14 minutes left to go.

Then, with under 3 minutes to go, when a run play would force Lovie to use a TO and a FG would make it a "2 score game" anyway, they throw a fade out the back of the end zone.

Going up two scores took on a different meaning once there was under three minutes left. At that point it’s going to take an onside either way so there’s much better value in trying to make them have to get two TDs.
Yeah I don’t understand the logic people are throwing around there. The fade was the safest throw to avoid a turnover. Yes a FG makes it a 2 score game but you’d still rather have a TD. Plus the FG isn’t a given, they botched a damn extra point last week and shit like that sticks in coaches minds.

Don’t forget last year Iowa ran a fake against Nebrantska when they could have kicked a field goal to go up 3 scores early in the 4th quarter at Nebrantska’s 3 yard line. They didn’t get it and it almost cost them the game.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
I like that somehow Illinois had a small chance of winning the West and now their chance was ruined by the hawks
And Minnesota had a great chance of winning the West, and now their chance might have been ruined by the Hawks.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

Yeah I don’t understand the logic people are throwing around there. The fade was the safest throw to avoid a turnover. Yes a FG makes it a 2 score game but you’d still rather have a TD. Plus the FG isn’t a given, they botched a damn extra point last week and shit like that sticks in coaches minds.

Don’t forget last year Iowa ran a fake against Nebrantska when they could have kicked a field goal to go up 3 scores early in the 4th quarter at Nebrantska’s 3 yard line. They didn’t get it and it almost cost them the game.
It’s not really about TD/FG (I mean obviously you’d naturally always prefer a TD), it’s that there’s way more value in burning clock or forcing Illinois to use a TO at that stage of the game.

And in terms of the earlier call, I know listening to announcers has conditioned everyone to always think of these things in terms of X score game, but that’s only a meaningful decision point when the number of possessions left in the game is meaningful in relation to the number of differential possessions the score is. Less than a minute into the fourth quarter, two possessions isn’t remotely meaningful. I’m actually not saying going for it was a no brainer decision, what I’m saying is that with that much time left in the game, you should make what you feel is the best decision, and making it a “2 score game” isn’t some strategic trump card.