**Official Indiana vs. Iowa Football Thread - 2:30pm - BTN**

Reaction score
Relieved we won and the D is legit and plays with an attitude, but the OL didn’t seem to do all that great. Hawks could probably live with Spence but they’ll need to do a better job up front.
I think anyone disappointed with the OL today had too high of expectations for week one AND playing a defensive unit that's in the top half of the B10. Tom Allen is a defensive coach and had multiple all conference level players on that defense.

I was happy with the OL, all things considered. If that's the starting point for the OL and it keeps getting better, I think the it could be really good by the end of the season.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I thought petras was pretty good. His throws 1st half were great. Several drops on throws that were perfect. We also throw a lot of short stuff to Goodson and the TE’s so it’s not like we take a lot of downfield shots.
I think he looked both better, and still not that great. The three occasions he didn’t get a perfectly clean snap, he could

we didn’t “take shots downfield” a couple of times even with guys open. Spence was still pretty locked on to his first read.

better, but some things to be cleaned up.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
The big surprise for me today was Benson. It seemed like he was flying all over
for a guy that many, including myself, regarded as “heady, but lacked athleticism” he was awfully damn good in space today. There were multiple occasions where if he doesn’t make a tackle, the receiver is going for another 8-10 yards.

really impressed with him today

Reaction score
This team is an elite pass rusher and a competent QB away from being really really really fucking good.
I'd add a deep threat at WR, but that may be on the roster and we just haven't seen it yet, but otherwise agree.

If Petras could just hit a few deep balls a game, this team could be really good.

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
I think he looked both better, and still not that great. The three occasions he didn’t get a perfectly clean snap, he could

we didn’t “take shots downfield” a couple of times even with guys open. Spence was still pretty locked on to his first read.

better, but some things to be cleaned up.
Sure let's be greedy. Play average, win by 30. Be flawless, beat the Clones by 40

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I'm not as negative in Petras as some of you, but that said he throws the ball away too much and too quickly.

Also, I'm no expert but one of the things that stood out about Petras last year is his shitty footwork. I thought that would get worked on.

It didn't.

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Fuck yes fellas, conference blowout against a ranked team in week one.

Petras was fine early on then was asked to not fuck it up. I’m not ready to write him off yet. Keep in mind this was his first start with fans. Also, Indiana isn’t bad.

Both offensive and defensive lines are very promising.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
I thought the defense got enough pressure to be effective. That group collectively is going to be a treat to watch for the next few months. They have great depth too as players start to get banged up.

Offensively, Petras was okay. He did fine in the pocket, didn’t really force much and had one really bad throw. They need to at least get some WRs involved and take a deep shot each quarter and RB depth could be concerning.

Overall they’ll have a chance at every game because of the defense. It’s kind of the recipe Wisconsin had going for a bit and Iowa was absolutely the best looking team in the division at this point. Lots of talented underclassmen and I’m really excited when I look ahead. Don’t need a great QB, just competence.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Glad Tory Taylor got his 3 or 4 worst punts as a hawkeye out of his system in a blowout. Should get credit for some of the backspin though. He's still going to win us a game or two.

Mustangs989

Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Petras is not going to stop shitting his pants, but there is evidence that he’s starting to at least try to wipe up occasionally now. With this defense, that may be enough to get to Indy.
I feel way better about Petras than I would about Mertz if I was a Wisconsin or Clifford if I was a Penn St. fan. Up 14 3 minutes into the game is such unknown territory that he was asked to play way more conservative than normal.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Rewatching the game as I didn't get to fully watch earlier today.

LOL at Tom Allen trying to ice the kicker before the half when down 28-3.
Kurt has beset this in his memory card and revenge will be had at a later date, certainly.

I cant imagine the number of fucks he offered on the headset. Had to be a dozen.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
Sorry, Clemson, ya lost. It’s ok to be outside of the Top 10 for a while .

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Rewatching. Play of the game might have been Charlie Jones on that 4th and 2. Grinded out something out of nothing and kept the drive alive to put us up 21-3.

If he doesn't get that it is 14-3 and Indiana has momentum.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Our conservative style of defense feels less conservative this year because of the speed and athleticism of our LBs and DBs (particularly our LBs).

Belton and Benson close so fast, run or pass.

Benson is our best tackler and also lines up on slot receivers in passing formations. Outside of the Edds tenure, this has led to some pwnings in the past, but Benson is fast enough to make the transformation to run D on the fly.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Well yea he’s just a varsity baseball player with pro potential

Reaction score
His WRs didn't help him, LaPorta even had a drop or two. There were probably 5-6 drops, but Doug's point about Tracy's reaction when he rolled his eyes after that terrible pass speaks volumes. You don't do that if you respect your QB and he's been playing better.

It's not a night and day difference - he rushed things a lot and has a long way to go to get this team where they want to go. His accuracy did appear to be improved on passes where there was zero pressure, that's the only positive I took away for Petras yesterday.

If his receivers stop dropping the ball and the defense is as good as what it looked like yesterday, the Petras we saw against Indiana is still probably good enough for this team to get to Indy with a few breaks.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
Someone farted in his general direction, better be safe and immediately launch it 30 yards out of bounds.
He had happy feet every play that his first read wasn't there. He is far from comfortable back there. The good news and improvement is he didn't have a pirouette and throw it in the gut of a defender

Kerky

Reaction score
His WRs didn't help him, LaPorta even had a drop or two. There were probably 5-6 drops, but Doug's point about Tracy's reaction when he rolled his eyes after that terrible pass speaks volumes. You don't do that if you respect your QB and he's been playing better.

It's not a night and day difference - he rushed things a lot and has a long way to go to get this team where they want to go. His accuracy did appear to be improved on passes where there was zero pressure, that's the only positive I took away for Petras yesterday.

If his receivers stop dropping the ball and the defense is as good as what it looked like yesterday, the Petras we saw against Indiana is still probably good enough for this team to get to Indy with a few breaks.
Not every team is going to provide as many breaks as Indinia. Petras will have to make some plays at some point.

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
He had happy feet every play that his first read wasn't there. He is far from comfortable back there. The good news and improvement is he didn't have a pirouette and throw it in the gut of a defender
Can someone post how many picks he had?

BluesHawk

Goes to Applebee’s for special occasions
Reaction score
He did have a seizure once though.

Kerky

Reaction score
I was just walking into the lot to get my car when 4 squads came racing in with lights and sirens. There was a group of Hoosiers there trying to talk their way out of something. Proverbial, /csb