**Official Indiana vs. Iowa Football Thread - 2:30pm - BTN**

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
Dude, he didn’t play well today. It’s ok to call a spade a spade. Iowa’s defense, once again, will carry this team to a solid season.
I think it's important to cast wide generalizations about the season based on the first game of the season.

Pipiyopee

Reaction score
Petras had one really bad series and that throw to Tracy was awful. Other than that he was fine. His ceiling is a game manager, and that sucks. Because you think of what could be if you had a CJ on the roster.

The comparisons to past Wisky teams with shitty QBs are spot on. This D is fucking killer.

Reaction score
If you were watching, in the huddle afterwards Tracy had his head down with slumped shoulders and Petras gave him a little tap on the shoulder.

It was a bad throw, but that suggested to me less that Tracy was mad at Petras than Tracy was mad at himself and Petras was telling him "you were fine, that's on me."

HaloMan likes to confirm his priors, and that's what we're seeing here. I, for one, am encouraged by how he looked yesterday.
I’m guessing they had different reads (Petras likely incorrect) and Tracy may have initially blamed himself.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
He looked better.

granted it’s a low bar but it was against a real opponent rather than a cream puff directional school so there is hope for him

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Petras had one really bad series and that throw to Tracy was awful. Other than that he was fine. His ceiling is a game manager, and that sucks. Because you think of what could be if you had a CJ on the roster.

The comparisons to past Wisky teams with shitty QBs are spot on. This D is fucking killer.
his ceiling is not as a game manager. His velocity and size allow us to do a lot of things that someone like Purdy or Padilla cannot do.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Honestly, this team should probably win the West. Wisconsin is the only other true threat imo and their QB probably is worse than Petras.

Minnesota looks solid but probably lost their best player. Purdue is ok but not good. NW looks pretty bad. Illinois is terrible and Nebrantska is somehow worse.

This division comes down to the Iowa-Wisconsin game.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Honestly, this team should probably win the West. Wisconsin is the only other true threat imo and their QB probably is worse than Petras.

Minnesota looks solid but probably lost their best player. Purdue is ok but not good. NW looks pretty bad. Illinois is terrible and Nebrantska is somehow worse.

This division comes down to the Iowa-Wisconsin game.
Subscribe

gable_guy

Reaction score
If anybody knows where I can get a “Bitch I’m a Hawkeye” shirt in 4 Toddler size, let me know.

The Tin Man

Reaction score
The defense looked really good. Benson was all over the place and the DBs were making big plays. I thought the DL played well considering the question marks preseason. The contain was great and they got pressure when it was needed. They all made Indiana and Penux look bad. The defining moment was forcing Penux into a sliding 1 yard loss on his end run. What a pussy.

I thought Petras played decently and managed the game well, throwing it away when he needed. His receivers had quite a few drops. The under throw to IKM was scrambling and across his body so I’ll give him a pass. I didn’t get to see the bad pass to Tracy live due to a medical emergency with one of my munchkins, but I’ll take everyone’s word on it being bad. The execution on the screen pass was a thing of beauty.

Other than an early drop I thought LaPorta and Lachey looked amazing. Petras should be able to lean on them in the pass game. They will put up some big numbers.

The OL looked pretty good in pass blocking, but outside of Goodson’s big run the run blocking needed some improvement.

Goodson was Goodson, I’ll take 100 yards every time. Need to see more from the WRs. Maybe more playing time from the freshmen.

CJ had some big returns and was clutch in the pass game on the 4th down play. Tory looked a little rusty, but was close to dropping one within the 5. Shudak was booming kickoffs and wasn’t rattled by the icing attempts.

Overall a good win over a quality opponent. Kudos to the coaches for having them ready to play, instead of the oft slow early season starts to which we’ve become accustomed.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I'd like to see a little bit more of IKM, especially on runs between the tackles, to keep Goodson's legs fresh.

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
The defense looked really good. Benson was all over the place and the DBs were making big plays. I thought the DL played well considering the question marks preseason. The contain was great and they got pressure when it was needed. They all made Indiana and Penux look bad. The defining moment was forcing Penux into a sliding 1 yard loss on his end run. What a pussy.

I thought Petras played decently and managed the game well, throwing it away when he needed. His receivers had quite a few drops. The under throw to IKM was scrambling and across his body so I’ll give him a pass. I didn’t get to see the bad pass to Tracy live due to a medical emergency with one of my munchkins, but I’ll take everyone’s word on it being bad. The execution on the screen pass was a thing of beauty.

Other than an early drop I thought LaPorta and Lachey looked amazing. Petras should be able to lean on them in the pass game. They will put up some big numbers.

The OL looked pretty good in pass blocking, but outside of Goodson’s big run the run blocking needed some improvement.

Goodson was Goodson, I’ll take 100 yards every time. Need to see more from the WRs. Maybe more playing time from the freshmen.

CJ had some big returns and was clutch in the pass game on the 4th down play. Tory looked a little rusty, but was close to dropping one within the 5. Shudak was booming kickoffs and wasn’t rattled by the icing attempts.

Overall a good win over a quality opponent. Kudos to the coaches for having them ready to play, instead of the oft slow early season starts to which we’ve become accustomed.
This is great analysis. But unless you have somewhere that John The Criminal can play QB better than Petras you won't please the bottom feeding 1% of Hawkeye fandom that makes up 99% of this board

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I didn't go back and rewatch the game but it seemed like Van ness got some good pressure from limited snaps. Hopefully he is someone that they can plug in on obvious passing downs.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
I didn't go back and rewatch the game but it seemed like Van ness got some good pressure from limited snaps. Hopefully he is someone that they can plug in on obvious passing downs.
There was an early couple of plays where he was absolutely destroyed- He got Shoenered on one particular play

The Tin Man

Reaction score
I think it was Joe Evans that had a nice play running down Penux horizontally, forcing the interception by Belton. He looked real quick. I was somewhat afraid he was going to get called for roughing the passer on the play.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm guessing Indiana will be 6-6 or 7-5 this year. Just average B10 mediocrity.

Reaction score
I agree, and even if their offense made a ton of mistakes, Indiana's defense has a lot of talent on it and the Iowa offense held it's own in week one.

Frankly, I expected the offense to struggle more than it did. Particularly the OL that's still shuffling players around against a defense that brings a lot of different looks. I don't think ISU has a better defense than Indiana, if Iowa's OL takes a step forward from week one to week two, they should be able to run the ball on Saturday.

Reaction score
Indiana was almost a perfect Douche analogy for what ISU was last year (and this year). Only difference is Big 12 happened to get the extra Ny6 bid. Indiana would have acquitted themselves just as well versus a 3-3 Oregon w/o its four best players in the Fiesta bowl and accordingly been top 10 hyped (everyone back!) this instead of top 15-20.

Something to think about next week as all bets are truly fucking off for evaluating teams in teh Covid year.

Reaction score
How were the beer lines?
All things considered, especially with everything going cashless and the shiny new object aspect of beer being available for everyone, I thought they weren't bad at all. Longest wait for me was probably 10 minutes in the middle of the 1st quarter, with full view of one of the scoreboards so nothing was missed. Very possible that I lucked out in terms of where I chose to buy. I was a little bummed they ran out of Big Grove by mid-3rd, and couldn't find Singlespeed at all, but from what I saw there was plenty Bud Light and Busch to be found at all stations. Prices were $8.50 for that stuff and then $9.50 for what they considered premium (local).

tl;dr - would happily buy beer at a game again.