**Official Iowa @ Iowa State Football Thread - 3PM - FS1*

ISUFan98

The Captain of Team Dumbfuck
Reaction score
Garta works for Jamie!
That’s what so many here are implying. But you can’t actually think Barta does anything because Pollard made him, do you?

His actions are wholly owned by the U of I Athletic Department.

Don’t pass your stink on to us, we have enough of our own.
Barta doesn't do anything on this without the express consent of the University administration. If there was any inkling of the sort of misconduct alleged to have been committed on Saturday, then the U of I would be involved immediately and he wouldn't have issued the statement.

I get that Pollard is an easy mark for you guys (much of it deserved), but some of you need to get ahold of yourselves.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
Garta works for Jamie!
That’s what so many here are implying. But you can’t actually think Barta does anything because Pollard made him, do you?

Barta doesn't do anything on this without the express consent of the University administration. If there was any inkling of the sort of misconduct committed on Saturday, then the U of I would be involved immediately and he wouldn't have issued the statement.

I get that Pollard is an easy mark for you guys (much of it deserved), but some of you need to get ahold of yourselves.
What? There was inkling on this board. There was inkling on social media. Tons of inkling everywhere.

ISUFan98

Reaction score

Barta doesn't do anything on this without the express consent of the University administration. If there was any inkling of the sort of misconduct committed on Saturday, then the U of I would be involved immediately and he wouldn't have issued the statement.

What? There was inkling on this board. There was inkling on social media. Tons of inkling everywhere.
Without bonafide complaints to law enforcement or the university, what can either school be expected to do?

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score

Without bonafide complaints to law enforcement or the university, what can either school be expected to do?
INTERVIEW WITNESSES

Bob

Reaction score
"Groping and broken rib" were not exactly widely known details but it was on social media and message boards not that long after the game. There's no way he didn't know about it too.

If he'd just put "causing injury" somewhere in the initial statement instead of being vague about everything except booing, of all things, he would have avoided the blowback and likely wouldn't have felt pressure to cave so easily

Last edited:

ISUFan98

Reaction score
Report it to the Ames PD/ISU Police, and then there's a legal paper trail that isn't subject to FERPA and can't be sealed without a judge's order.

If someone in the Iowa band had his ribs broken by an assault or there was a sexual assault committed, then the person who did it should be subject to legal and civil penalties and kicked out of school (if a student).

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score
Report it to the Ames PD/ISU Police, and then there's a legal paper trail that isn't subject to FERPA and can't be sealed without a judge's order.

If someone in the Iowa band had his ribs broken by an assault or there was a sexual assault committed, then the person who did it should be subject to legal and civil penalties and kicked out of school (if a student).
They don’t have the foggiest idea who it was because there are 61,500 equal suspects. The ISU bullshit about every square inch of the place being covered with cameras is just that, bullshit.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score

Would you say Pollard's "well, we get treated bad too," radio tour was a bit out of touch then? Maybe?

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score
Pollard handled this beautifully if you want to wash away something you might find embarrassing. He immediately tried to distract, change the subject, and deflect blame on the victim.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
Pollard handled this beautifully if you want to wash away something you might find embarrassing. He immediately tried to distract, change the subject, and deflect blame on the victim.
Sounds like another public figure I know.... but I can't seem to put my finger on who I'm thinking of.... hmm....

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
All I can say is the 2 former neighbors posting about this on my FB feed on Sunday are definitely not drama queen types. Both professional dudes in their 50s-60s with IHMB offspring who I know to be good kids. The words groped and punched were used.

I agree that evidence may be difficult if not impossible to come by, but I don’t doubt for a second that some fairly awful and criminal things happened to the band.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
And...I assume things went as described in the press release?

I don’t know I am just applying logic.
Weak.

Sorry you had your feelings hurt. Here's a bunch of phone numbers. We'll do better in the future.
I disagree.

The University is not the police. If someone was assaulted physically or sexually, they should immediately report it to the police. If they are not comfortable doing that or they instead report it to a faculty member, they should immediately report it to the police.

Beyond advising that students should advise the police and reaching out to Iowa State to let them know of the situation, the University neither has the knowledge or the staff to investigate things of this nature.

If you get assaulted in any way, go to the legal authorities. Period. Stop expecting non-law enforcement to protect and investigate when the law is broken.

Gushawk

Reaction score
The second “joint” press release parroting Jaime’s talking points was completely unnecessary and the real sin, imo. Just fucking terrible.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The second “joint” press release parroting Jaime’s talking points was completely unnecessary and the real sin, imo. Just fucking terrible.
Barta is a certified dumbfuck. He is better than Pollard when it comes to being an adult, but his handling of the firing of some coaches, everything with Dolph and now this are inexcusable.

Good thing they gave him a raise and extension.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
Weak.

Sorry you had your feelings hurt. Here's a bunch of phone numbers. We'll do better in the future.
I disagree.

The University is not the police. If someone was assaulted physically or sexually, they should immediately report it to the police. If they are not comfortable doing that or they instead report it to a faculty member, they should immediately report it to the police.

Beyond advising that students should advise the police and reaching out to Iowa State to let them know of the situation, the University neither has the knowledge or the staff to investigate things of this nature.

If you get assaulted in any way, go to the legal authorities. Period. Stop expecting non-law enforcement to protect and investigate when the law is broken.
True, in regard to the criminal acts and filing criminal reports. But I think the disconnect is between the band and the university in terms of providing proper security and ensuring the band's safety. The students are part of a university function and in the care and custody of the university during this time. The security failed on Saturday night, and they want the incident investigated by the university. That email reads like the AD is washing its hands of that task. The band members can go to the Ames police and make a report that some unidentified ISU rednecks threw shit at them and assaulted them, but we all know that's not going to go anywhere.

Reaction score
One or more of these parents are going to lawyer up and a suit will be coming. What a fucking shit show. These are just kids and both state schools are washing their hands of this. Nice code of conduct these “adults” are showing our future leaders.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Weak.

I disagree.

True, in regard to the criminal acts and filing criminal reports. But I think the disconnect is between the band and the university in terms of providing proper security and ensuring the band's safety. The students are part of a university function and in the care and custody of the university during this time. The security failed on Saturday night, and they want the incident investigated by the university. That email reads like the AD is washing its hands of that task. The band members can go to the Ames police and make a report that some unidentified ISU rednecks threw shit at them and assaulted them, but we all know that's not going to go anywhere.
I disagree again.

They have 4 officers with them. Sometimes there are going to be crazy circumstances, such as multiple weather delays and having to move the band from place to place in an unexpected and unprecedented manner.

If you don't think the police are going to do anything, then what in the hell do you expect the University to do?

Reaction score
If a football player was attacked after the game by Iowa State fans and he had bones broken, would that be treated any different than this?

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
Has there been any off-the-field incident that Barta has handled well? He fucks up every one of these things.

Gushawk

Reaction score
Go file worthless police reports that will immediately hit the circular file is certainly not a very comforting or serious message. No reference to even the possibility that the host school might have done anything better. I sort of hope the band boycotts

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
Best to file a complaint with Ames PD and the university.

Bob

Reaction score
I think going to the nearest authority figure with it is a pretty normal reaction for a kid in that position. If the school officials thought it was a police matter then they should have worked with them to make sure it was reported to the police, and it seems like part of the outrage from the band members there is that they got the impression that's exactly what would happen only to find out the university was instead going to do nothing outside of a bland "everyone be nice to each other" joint statement.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
I disagree.

I disagree again.

They have 4 officers with them. Sometimes there are going to be crazy circumstances, such as multiple weather delays and having to move the band from place to place in an unexpected and unprecedented manner.

If you don't think the police are going to do anything, then what in the hell do you expect the University to do?
I thought I read they didn't have security at the end of the game? Regardless, if they did or did not, security wasn't able to stop this from happening.

In regard to this being a university problem, let's take this one step further and assume a full beer can was thrown at a band member, hits them in the head, and the band member dies. Does the university have a problem from a liability viewpoint? Yes, they do. Just because no one dies doesn't mean the university doesn't have a responsibility to provide adequate security measures.

Reaction score
The kids are in a band and being told what to do and where to go. It was a very hostile environment. Saying that a 17 year old snot nosed kid in that environment should have found an Ames PD officer, and miss their bus ride home, is not thinking logically. If they were assaulted, they are trying to get to fuck out of dodge.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The kids are in a band and being told what to do and where to go. It was a very hostile environment. Saying that a 17 year old snot nosed kid in that environment should have found an Ames PD officer, and miss their bus ride home, is not thinking logically. If they were assaulted, they are trying to get to fuck out of dodge.
That isn't what I am saying. I'm saying that if they don't report it to the police right away and instead report it to a university employee, then that person informs them they either need to immediately report it or they have to.

This is as silly as someone reporting rape to a coach or faculty member and expecting the university to be the one to deal with it.

Fuck that. You can tell them but then the only thing the university does is advises the victim/accuser to report it to the authorities.

Every single time that the university does something other than this it goes horribly.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Barta should have been fired after the lesbians collected their millions from the University. I expect the lawyers are going to get paid on this deal as well. If you're on a school function, the school authorities are responsible for your safety.

I didn't think that in a pissing contest, it would be possible for anyone to look worse than Pollard, but here we are

Last edited:

douglasbader

Reaction score
If you are assaulted and you go to Gary fucking Barta and the band leader and you and your parents don't go to the authorities, then you are a colossal dipshit.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
If you are assaulted and you go to Gary fucking Barta and the band leader and you and your parents don't go to the authorities, then you are a colossal dipshit.
So if a basketball player gets punched leaving the floor after a game, the parents are going to handle and the university is just going to wash their hands of it.
Sure

brantshawks

Nebrantska Fan
Reaction score
The fact that I don't have my face on a keystone light can is a travesty.

douglasbader

Reaction score
So if a basketball player gets punched leaving the floor after a game, the parents are going to handle and the university is just going to wash their hands of it.
Sure
If a player gets punched leaving the floor after a game (assuming by a fan and not another player) the player and parents (if he is a pussy that can't handle his own shit) should report to the university while at the same time telling the cops if they wish to press charges. The University should also support by informing the police and the other university. Outside of that, they should let the law enforcement do their job.

The reality is that 99.999999999% of the time the university trying to get involved in any way during a legal matter ends up horribly.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
Let me qualify my position (you've changed my mind Doug!!!). I agree the police report should be filed if a crime has occurred and will bring credibility to the band members' claims -- regardless of how futile the eventual outcome of any criminal investigation. People do not file fictitious police reports (or at least they shouldn't because they could face criminal charges). It also brings legitimacy to the alleged act. For example, if you have your identity stolen, the FCC wants you to file a police report with the local police in order to establish a crime has taken place, even though the local police isn't going to investigate the Nigerian prince that stole your info.

With all that being said, and with me conceding your point in regard to the police report, do you also recognize the University's responsibility here?

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
The students getting on the field during one of the delays and/or halftime is Exhibit A for a lack of security and lack of administrative oversight.

Friends I talked to this week said the atmosphere before, during, and especially after the game was the worst they have experienced since the Arizona game a number of years ago.