**Official Iowa @ Iowa State Football Thread - 3PM - FS1*

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
What the fuck did I just read?

Two wrongs don't make a right but perhaps the UI band provoked the alleged assaults with their "**** State!" chants after the game. If this is what happened it makes BOTH universities look horrible. The UI band should be held accountable and the individuals responsible for the alleged assaults should be held accountable and never be allowed at an ISU Athletics event again.
They weren't chanting "F*** Iowa State", as some idiots have alleged.

The chant "Hawkeye State", however, sounds a lot like the former if you're drunk and bitter about losing to your betters again.
In all fairness, fuck Iowa State.

Bob

Reaction score
Ideally the kid would have gone directly to the police sure, but i think expecting a scared young person who just experienced a trauma to act totally rationally is probably not totally realistic. If they do go to an authority figure in the school, that person should do everything in their power to direct the kid to the proper place make sure the police are notified

Reaction score
Pollard is a douche bag for inciting this behavior and Barta is a pussy for letting it happen. Both sides and fan bases are somewhat at fault. The hatred is there for both sides over a fucking football game played by kids. It’s embarrassing. If the leaders on both sides don’t step up to make it more respectful then it should be done.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
They made me fall on my tuba and I broke three ribs!

What happened?

I got scared and ran away and tripped over a clarinet.

Accosted.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
If you are assaulted and you go to Gary fucking Barta and the band leader and you and your parents don't go to the authorities, then you are a colossal dipshit.
Let me qualify my position (you've changed my mind Doug!!!). I agree the police report should be filed if a crime has occurred and will bring credibility to the band members' claims -- regardless of how futile the eventual outcome of any criminal investigation. People do not file fictitious police reports (or at least they shouldn't because they could face criminal charges). It also brings legitimacy to the alleged act. For example, if you have your identity stolen, the FCC wants you to file a police report with the local police in order to establish a crime has taken place, even though the local police isn't going to investigate the Nigerian prince that stole your info.

With all that being said, and conceding your point in regard to the police report, do you also recognize the University's responsibility here?
I agree with this, but my point is that the University's responsibility here should be to advise the assaulted student (or their parents) that they should immediately report it to the police while the university supports with any statements to the police and informs the other university where it took place that there was an incident so they can help support as needed.

I'm sick and fucking tired!!!!!!! of people not doing the right thing when it comes to incidents like this. It is how a raped girl ends up sitting in a conference room with Steve Alford and the Christian adviser for the AIA and being asked to pray about being anal rape instead of letting law enforcement involved.

douglasbader

Reaction score
There have been more than enough history and #MeToo and all sorts of other shit for every living person know the one and only viable solution is to report assault of any kind to the police.

I you don't do this and have anything to back up your claim, I'm not going to immediately declare you a victim.

LifelongHawk

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
The one kid described the horror of a drunk pushing his way through the formation on the way to the bus. "Do not put your hands on me sir." Big surprise he got a fuck you in return, the drunk probably had been holding his piss since ISU stil had a chance.
The arm bruise from flying beer bottle is horrible, criminal, and they should scour all the video and put out a request for public help to find and convict the scumbag.
If there was a sexual assault or if a kid was cornered and beaten as kind sir claims, same same.
But christ on a crutch the handwringing is over the top. Singularly unique situation and a group of college kids got shoved a little and a girl got her boob groped. I hope they (and their parents and their parents friends!) all manage to survive.
Next time college game day starts 6 hours before kickoff and there are two weather delays they'll be better prepared.

brantshawks

Nebrantska Fan
Reaction score
Got hit by that other college kid? Legally ok to beat him with your trombone.

Reaction score
If you are assaulted and you go to Gary fucking Barta and the band leader and you and your parents don't go to the authorities, then you are a colossal dipshit.
Let me qualify my position (you've changed my mind Doug!!!). I agree the police report should be filed if a crime has occurred and will bring credibility to the band members' claims -- regardless of how futile the eventual outcome of any criminal investigation. People do not file fictitious police reports (or at least they shouldn't because they could face criminal charges). It also brings legitimacy to the alleged act. For example, if you have your identity stolen, the FCC wants you to file a police report with the local police in order to establish a crime has taken place, even though the local police isn't going to investigate the Nigerian prince that stole your info.

With all that being said, and conceding your point in regard to the police report, do you also recognize the University's responsibility here?
I agree with this, but my point is that the University's responsibility here should be to advise the assaulted student (or their parents) that they should immediately report it to the police while the university supports with any statements to the police and informs the other university where it took place that there was an incident so they can help support as needed.

I'm sick and fucking tired!!!!!!! of people not doing the right thing when it comes to incidents like this. It is how a raped girl ends up sitting in a conference room with Steve Alford and the Christian adviser for the AIA and being asked to pray about being anal rape instead of letting law enforcement involved.
These are just kids living on their own for the first time in their life at 17 years old. They are trying to be adults, but they’re fucking dumb and don’t get how things work. The University is going to protect itself, not the kid.

It’s the same thing if you work for a large company and go to HR with a complaint. They don’t give a shit about you, they are going to make sure they aren’t liable for any damages. Lawyers run this country.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Iowa Legend cans already made. Hospital is going to get a million bucks before this is done.

douglasbader

Reaction score

These are just kids living on their own for the first time in their life at 17 years old. They are trying to be adults, but they’re fucking dumb and don’t get how things work. The University is going to protect itself, not the kid.

It’s the same thing if you work for a large company and go to HR with a complaint. They don’t give a shit about you, they are going to make sure they aren’t liable for any damages. Lawyers run this country.
Lol at 17 years old. How many college freshmen are 17 years old? Maybe 1%?

douglasbader

Reaction score
I have a daughter. I've already told her over and over if anything happens to you related to assault and especially of a sexual nature, you go to the police or come to us and we go to the police together.

I'll believe you no matter what, will support you no matter what, but we can't stay quiet because you have an obligation. Have to report it to protect others.

That should be the message to anyone for anything like this.

eclone

Reaction score
Iowa Legend cans already made. Hospital is going to get a million bucks before this is done.

This is like the third time this has been posted, but I'll give you a like anyway.
??? I don’t think I have anyone on ignore. Or do you just mean in general? Because I posted it as an update on the donation total. And a picture of the real can.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
I believe what we got here is a situation where the University of Iowa, Iowa State University, and the police all have an obligation to investigate this incident. The University of Iowa has an obligation to protect the members of their band and to provide security for them to prevent incidents from happening. Iowa state has an obligation to control their crowd, provide general security and make sure their fans don't get out of line. The police have a responsibility to investigate and punish those responsible. They should all be working together to figure this out.

What should not be happening is Gary fucking Barta telling his band members to fuck off and that he's not interested in what happened to them. It is his responsibility to provide for their safety.

And I don't understand why he has to kowtow to Iowa State University. He won't drop them from the schedule, he won't defend his own band members. I don't get it. It's infuriating and he's not doing his job.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Fuck everyone. This is the least hard thing ever no matter how much the woke crowd wants to make you believe it is some difficult thing.

You get assaulted in any way. Go to the police. If the person doesn't go to the police and they choose to tell a parent or trusted university employee, then they immediately report it to the police.

Fuck all this bullshit of too scared or only wanting to keep it internal. If I was running the university, I would tell the person reporting it that university policy is we are mandatory reporters and have an obligation to immediately report any abuse to the authorities.

Keeping it "internal" or being too scared to report it is not an option in 2019. Sorry.

Reaction score
I have a daughter. I've already told her over and over if anything happens to you related to assault and especially of a sexual nature, you go to the police or come to us and we go to the police together.

I'll believe you no matter what, will support you no matter what, but we can't stay quiet because you have an obligation. Have to report it to protect others.

Having a child makes you look at events like this different. Good job on preparing your daughter for those nasty guys out there that you know exist.

Many of these band parents don’t realize how nasty sports fans are and didn’t prepare their children for that nonsense.

People who don’t respect “band kids” can go fuck themselves!

douglasbader

Reaction score

Having a child makes you look at events like this different. Good job on preparing your daughter for those nasty guys out there that you know exist.

Many of these band parents don’t realize how nasty sports fans are and didn’t prepare their children for that nonsense.

All of these people have kids. They should all realize.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
fuck everyone involved with creating a week long discussion about the god damn marching band

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
It's not about the marching band. It's about two incompetent boobs mismanaging a safety concern.

douglasbader

Reaction score
It's not about the marching band. It's about two incompetent boobs mismanaging a safety concern.
Sort of, but mostly because they don't have a clear and strong enough policy.

You report, it goes to the police. End of story. From there the University lets the other school knows if there is one and informs the police that they will fully cooperate. If it is an internal student situation, the accused gets suspended from all activities except for academic pending an investigation by the authorities.

The incompetent bullshit is that they get involved in any way and run an "investigation". They have neither the expertise, time, resources or man power to do this. They certainly don't have the authority.

Bob

Reaction score
It is possible to think that marching bands are lame as hell and also think it's bad someone got their ribs broken by some drunk goon who didn't like the color shirt they were wearing.

Ban all non-SWAC marching bands though

Reaction score

douglasbader

Reaction score

douglasbader

Reaction score
Those glasses. Imagine you know you are going before a Congressional Committee and a world wide television audience and you choose to bring your wife's glasses.

Have some fucking pride.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Those glasses. Imagine you know you are going before a Congressional Committee and a world wide television audience and you choose to bring your wife's glasses.

Have some fucking pride.
so much stress on the hinges

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
Ol Emeril is the gotdamn Martin Luther King Jr of bandkids and bandparents everywhere. Good on you, bub!

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score

What are you staying here, Emeril? You calling these bandparents nerds or something?

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
It is possible to think that marching bands are lame as hell and also think it's bad someone got their ribs broken by some drunk goon who didn't like the color shirt they were wearing.

Yeah, the thing that pisses me off is the “both bands have been subjected to this, here is a link to some resources” response. I don’t think the UI should be the judge, they should direct the kids to the police, but then they need to at least say they will review their security plan for next time, and say this not condoned.

Pollard is a sociopath, and Barta signing off on that is just another example of a nutless boob who doesn’t know how to manage a crisis.

Pipiyopee

Reaction score

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
The students getting on the field during one of the delays and/or halftime is Exhibit A for a lack of security and lack of administrative oversight.

Friends I talked to this week said the atmosphere before, during, and especially after the game was the worst they have experienced since the Arizona game a number of years ago.
That Arizona game was dreadful. Worst I’ve ever experienced.

Late after the game my two friends and I were walking back to hotel and a car full of douches just randomly pulls up and and two guys get out and start screaming at us to keep walking our they were going to beat us back to Iowa.

We had shit thrown at us and people just in our faces all game and afterwards. Just absurd

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The only time I've ever felt something might get out of hand, was at Wisconsin.

eclone

Reaction score

Have some fucking pride.
No way his wife would have worn those things.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
The students getting on the field during one of the delays and/or halftime is Exhibit A for a lack of security and lack of administrative oversight.

Friends I talked to this week said the atmosphere before, during, and especially after the game was the worst they have experienced since the Arizona game a number of years ago.

Late after the game my two friends and I were walking back to hotel and a car full of douches just randomly pulls up and and two guys get out and start screaming at us to keep walking our they were going to beat us back to Iowa.

We had shit thrown at us and people just in our faces all game and afterwards. Just absurd
Your post reminded me of this beauty.

Reaction score

I love you @hawkeyealum but that shit goes down someone is getting punched in the face (probably me).