**Official Iowa vs. Illinois Football Thread - 2:30pm - BTN or FS1**

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I listened to the second half on the radio. On that fumble/interception to seal the win, Dolph was talking about whether the arm was moving forward/etc. and I’m in my car thinking we’re going to have a review and possible overturn.

I get home and his worry and consternation is moot, since it was plucked out of the air. Thanks, Dolph.
Van Valkenburg actually dropped the ball as he rolled.

Anyway, nothing tops his call of the ISU punt returned getting targeted by his own player. Dolph had 0 idea what had just taken place.

Reaction score
Van Valkenburg actually dropped the ball as he rolled.

Anyway, nothing tops his call of the ISU punt returned getting targeted by his own player. Dolph had 0 idea what had just taken place.
To be fair Dolph just has no idea.

thrawn

Reaction score
It’s not really too bad. He cared about attention more than setting himself up for his dream job. In addition to pissing off the people who would hire you, he is proven to be pretty immature and negatively outspoken. That doesn’t work when it’s your job to get people excited.
Hassel has been so aggressively bad on Twitter the last few years that I assume he got a preemptive permanent GFY on being Dolph’s replacement

douglasbader

Posts “Hawks by a million” on Facebook
Reaction score
Hassel has been so aggressively bad on Twitter the last few years that I assume he got a preemptive permanent GFY on being Dolph’s replacement
Not only bad, but completely unfair and unprofessional. His vendetta against Fran was beyond uncalled for. It wasn't Fran's fault that Dolph was a dumbfuck saying terrible shit about a player on a hot mic and then used the questionable King Kong reference.

Hassel and others went after Fran and Barta for both and didn't say shit about Dolph.

L. Wade Childress

Has no idea what you are asking
Reaction score
If that would have happened this summer Dolph would have been fired and no media member would have defended him

douglasbader

Reaction score
If that would have happened this summer Dolph would have been fired and no media member would have defended him
I actually disagree. The media members would have still thrown a fit. Look at Howe this summer. He went on multiple drunken rants and used a bunch of homophobic slurs and every single media person came to his defense and blamed "trolls".

douglasbader

Reaction score
Dolphgate remains the single dumbest thing I have seen from the Iowa media/fanbase.
The second one for sure. The first one was legit and Fran had to address it. You can't let your play by play guy get away with belittling a player publicly on a hot mic. It also seems to have been more the straw that broke the camel's back more than anything.

King Kong stuff was something that came to the AD's email as a complaint. He had to forward it on to Learfield as it was subject to open records and if he doesn't make them aware, then it creates even more of an issue. People seem to forget that it was Learfield ultimately that suspended Dolph, not the University.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
The second one for sure. The first one was legit and Fran had to address it. You can't let your play by play guy get away with belittling a player publicly on a hot mic. It also seems to have been more the straw that broke the camel's back more than anything.

King Kong stuff was something that came to the AD's email as a complaint. He had to forward it on to Learfield as it was subject to open records and if he doesn't make them aware, then it creates even more of an issue. People seem to forget that it was Learfield ultimately that suspended Dolph, not the University.
The university and learfield can (and should) have suspended him. The media and fanbase all coming to his defense was insane. None of that was Frans fault but you had people like Hassel going at him for God knows why.

Was the King Kong bit overblown? Maybe. But the radio guy missing some time should be a total non story.

L. Wade Childress

Reaction score
I actually disagree. The media members would have still thrown a fit. Look at Howe this summer. He went on multiple drunken rants and used a bunch of homophobic slurs and every single media person came to his defense and blamed "trolls".
pretty good point actually

thrawn

Reaction score
Learfield and Iowa actually handled Dolph correctly. He isn’t a bad guy, but he screwed up and had to be punished. The a second suspension was maybe a little long, but people have been fired for that.

Media types like to circle the wagons because it’s a career that lets them be sanctimonious, their industry has been in a permanent recession since like 2003, and they get just enough misdirected public criticism (plus the Trump stuff) to be victims.

Last edited:

L. Wade Childress

Reaction score
Learfield and Iowa actually handled dolph correctly. He isn’t a bad guy, but he screwed up and had to be punished. The a second suspension was maybe a little long, but people have been fired for that.

Media types like to circle the wagons because it’s a career that lets them be sanctimonious, their industry has been in a permanent recession since like 2003, and they get just enough misdirected public criticism (plus the Trump stuff) to be victims.
And they don’t understand why it’s dying.

coff

Strip Mall Attorney & Scholar
Reaction score
You should try drinking water more often coff, you might lose that gut and those sweet tits.
So, its not how much water one drinks, but how often one drinks water. Got it.

The Dad

Legitimately Bald Forever and Stupid Looking
Reaction score
Do you think ol’ Spencer was calling himself a faggot when he had that moment of introspection over by the kicking net?

Reaction score
Coff you don’t want none of ol Shawnee’s smoke so just waddle on back from the buffet and we will act like this conversation never happened.

coff

Strip Mall Attorney & Scholar
Reaction score
Coff you don’t want none of ol Shawnee’s smoke so just waddle on back from the buffet and we will act like this conversation never happened.
Why bring Buffet into this?

Reaction score
Going into half when Iowa was setting up for their field goal, there were a couple times where the TE's shifted out. Was this intentional to give the impression we may fake? It seemed so close to the timeout whistle I couldn't decide which happened first. Had to laugh at Illinois taking all their timeouts on the same play. Did Fleck call Smith and ask him to do that? :roll:

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Doing it probably slows down the rush as they have to make sure no one goes out into a route. They also could have seen if Illinois matched up a specific way and if they did they may have faked it. Since they didn’t they kicked it.

Reaction score
Doing it probably slows down the rush as they have to make sure no one goes out into a route. They also could have seen if Illinois matched up a specific way and if they did they may have faked it. Since they didn’t they kicked it.
That's what I was wondering. Testing the waters to see what Illinois did.

Reaction score
60 min version on BTN now fyi.
Forgotten play of the game: 4th & 3 pass to ISM down 14-0.