**Official Iowa vs. Illinois Football Thread - 2:30pm - BTN or FS1**

thrawn

Reaction score
The Big Ten should be trying to get Ohio State a game next week no matter what. Michigan needs to tell them by end of day Monday if they can't play and then get another team to play Ohio State.

The problem is I don't know if there will be a team that is likely to be paused because of COVID issues next week other than Michigan.
if eclone could just start that Northwestern outbreak, Illinois would be available

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
When Petras got hot, it was as if he finally decided fuck it, at this point what have I got to lose by just firing the fucking ball instead of trying to aim it. If he remembers this, then maybe we've got a quarterback.
Agreed. It looked like he did just say “fuck it” and started to sling it. Still missed some throws but rhythm was much better.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Agreed. It looked like he did just say “fuck it” and started to sling it. Still missed some throws but rhythm was much better.
The way he reacted after that second awful throw to Goodson seemed to be the moment that he realized he was as bad as people had said and he needed to stop being so shitty. Walked straight over to the kicker net, grabbed a ball and mouthed something to himself.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
The way he reacted after that second awful throw to Goodson seemed to be the moment that he realized he was as bad as people had said and he needed to stop being so shitty. Walked straight over to the kicker net, grabbed a ball and mouthed something to himself.
Saw that. The kid obviously has talent and has had success before. Hopefully this was his turning point.

The Tin Man

Reaction score
Petras completing some passes really opened up the run game. Then Brian went back to pre snap motion and misdirection and the offense got some chunk plays. It’s nice to have Phil’s defense to rely on. As already mentioned, hopefully Spencer’s balls came out of their shell today and it’s full steam ahead.
Ramming it down their throats with the wildcat on that last drive was satisfying.
I’d like to see more of both of these going forward. Come to think of it, I wish we had also seen more of those in previous games, especially in the games lost.

They keep the defense off balance, and they maximize the opportunities to get the ball to playmakers in space. With a struggling and unproven QB they also go a long way to take the pressure off and open up the field to better throwing opportunities.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Today was the day it seemed like everyone was shit full of him and let him know very publicly. ISM has been letting him know it, but when a mild mannered kid like Goodson stares you down and shakes his head at you like you are a fucking idiot that sucks balls, that is about the final straw.

I still think he sucks and today was mostly Illinois being a shitty team. If he can do this against Wisconsin and play @Fritz Fequiere winning football, then maybe I think he is ok. I'll be shocked though.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Today was the day it seemed like everyone was shit full of him and let him know very publicly. ISM has been letting him know it, but when a mild mannered kid like Goodson stares you down and shakes his head at you like you are a fucking idiot that sucks balls, that is about the final straw.

I still think he sucks and today was mostly Illinois being a shitty team. If he can do this against Wisconsin and play @Fritz Fequiere winning football, then maybe I think he is ok. I'll be shocked though.
This exactly. It sums up my feelings better than a thumbs up can express.

thrawn

Reaction score
He played really well for three quarters against a bad team. That isn’t much, but it’s more than he’s done pretty much all year. They have three or two games left, hopefully it’s the start of a strong finish. They aren’t playing Padilla/Hogan without an injury so it’s the only thing we can look to until spring ball.

2HawkFans

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
It was nice to see Smith making some catches today. While I agree QB play has been severely lacking, it was good to see some glimmer of hope. We'll know more over the next couple weeks if today was a fluke or if things may be starting to come around.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Iowa is better when the smiths get more touches.

they made an effort to get both of them involved in the second half

douglasbader

Reaction score
Brian called his best game of the year in the 2nd half. There was one drive where he ran multiple beautiful plays.

I have no idea if Tyler Goodson is hurt or not, but he is hesitating way too much. See the hole and fucking go.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
Brian called his best game of the year in the 2nd half. There was one drive where he ran multiple beautiful plays.

I have no idea if Tyler Goodson is hurt or not, but he is hesitating way too much. See the hole and fucking go.
Yes, agree completely.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score

To be fair, he was loose for a decently long TD run if not for a dirty trip that didn’t get called.

gable_guy

Reaction score
The color guy apparently associates Ankeny with tenderloins

douglasbader

Reaction score
I'm not the biggest tenderloin guy and haven't had one in maybe 15 years, but I would love one tomorrow.

Huge tenderloin twice as big as the bun from Hy-Vee. Mustard. Side of mac and cheese. Huge water to wash it down. Nap afterwards.

Reactions: BBK

thrawn

Reaction score
I'm not the biggest tenderloin guy and haven't had one in maybe 15 years, but I would love one tomorrow.

Huge tenderloin twice as big as the bun from Hy-Vee. Mustard. Side of mac and cheese. Huge water to wash it down. Nap afterwards.
My god, have some pride. Find some dirty looking deli or small town bar. You’re an adult, don’t eat at Hy-Vee.

thrawn

Reaction score
The color guy apparently associates Ankeny with tenderloins
He was fucking awful and was even born in Iowa and raised just over the border. He seemed fascinated by Iowa having a bunch of Illinois players. I’m pretty sure he just wanted to work in a tenderloin and maid-rite reference to be all Fellow Kids and jumped at the first town mentioned.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Iowa is better when the smiths get more touches.

they made an effort to get both of them involved in the second half
This is true. Tracy also. Those 3 have a lot of talent and need to be utilized. I too wish Iowa would put the receivers in motion and attempt more misdirection, but it seems like it is only in the plans against shitty defenses (Nebrantska, Illinois, USC). I hope they show it next week, even if they don’t hand the ball of to the receivers. It adds another element. You could see the Illinois linebackers completely abandoning their spots today and running to our running backs as soon as the ball was snapped today. Iowa still had success, but that won’t be the case the next couple of weeks. The misdirection can only help and may just pop off a long run

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
They have to incorporate motion this week. It’s one of the best ways to slow down Wisconsin’s blitzing. Also mix in a little of those screen/pop passes to the outside.
I love that quick screen on the line.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
I think Iowa beats Wisconsin. It really pisses me off that it means nothing this year. This should have been for the West title.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I listened to a good part of the 2nd half of the Nebrantska game on the radio last week because of timing and had to drive.

Haven't heard Dolph and Podolack in years other than a few highlight clips.

It was jarring listening to them. They have always been pretty bad with the details, but not only were they terrible in calling and describing the game action, they both sounded so old and slow. Podolack especially was slow and confused and just sounded like an 80 year old man trying to figure out what was going on.

Learfield and the University should really think about moving on from them and getting the next booth combo together.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Too bad Hassell burned his bridges. He does great play by play.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Dolphs not going anywhere unless he says another dumb thing.

I also don’t understand how he all of the sudden had a hot zoom mic out of nowhere.

Floyd R

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
With the Leistikow article last year about those two wanting to retire together, I'd have to guess Dolph and Ed will hang it up in the next year or two.

BngHawk

Nextdoor Mod
Reaction score
Dolphs not going anywhere unless he says another dumb thing.

I also don’t understand how he all of the sudden had a hot zoom mic out of nowhere.
Have you ever been on a zoom call? Even smart people suck dick at the mute function. Most of the time it’s the “oh haha forgot to unmute LOL!!!” The golden calls are the ones where senior vp bill is screaming at his kids or cranking the hog.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Have you ever been on a zoom call? Even smart people suck dick at the mute function. Most of the time it’s the “oh haha forgot to unmute LOL!!!” The golden calls are the ones where senior vp bill is screaming at his kids or cranking the hog.
Yeah, about 3 a day during the week. What I meant is it seemed to pick Dolph up mid sentence. Someone else had to of said something to him to say what he did which wasn’t picked up. Dolph doesn’t ask questions during the player question session. I’m guessing someone else in the booth with him, particularly Steve Roe who moderates those I believe, unmuted his computer right as Dolph was dicking around because he chimes in real quick and cuts Dolph off.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Too bad Hassell burned his bridges. He does great play by play.
It’s not really too bad. He cared about attention more than setting himself up for his dream job. In addition to pissing off the people who would hire you, he is proven to be pretty immature and negatively outspoken. That doesn’t work when it’s your job to get people excited.

Reaction score
I listened to a good part of the 2nd half of the Nebrantska game on the radio last week because of timing and had to drive.

Haven't heard Dolph and Podolack in years other than a few highlight clips.

It was jarring listening to them. They have always been pretty bad with the details, but not only were they terrible in calling and describing the game action, they both sounded so old and slow. Podolack especially was slow and confused and just sounded like an 80 year old man trying to figure out what was going on.

Learfield and the University should really think about moving on from them and getting the next booth combo together.
I listened to the second half on the radio. On that fumble/interception to seal the win, Dolph was talking about whether the arm was moving forward/etc. and I’m in my car thinking we’re going to have a review and possible overturn.

I get home and his worry and consternation is moot, since it was plucked out of the air. Thanks, Dolph.

BngHawk

Nextdoor Mod
Reaction score
Who are the current halo nominees to replace dolph and Eddie?

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
I listened to a bit of the post game and he called most Iowa fans "idiots who think they have all the answers"
I heard one phone call postgame yesterday on a 5 minute trip to Casey’s. The caller believed that Goodson is better than Shonn Greene. Iowafan in general is retarded.