**Official Iowa vs. Maryland Football Thread - 7:00pm - FS1**

FatNTired

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
TBF, Tualia's 5th (tonight) was all on Locksley. Game was over and should have pulled him before that.

But, that is an awesome fucking stat. Iowa Defense!!
Locksley set themup for failure with the last possession of the first. Maryland had the ball at their 45 with :05 seconds left and Tua had already thrown 3 INTS. They try to heave it to the end zone and of course it’s picked. Just take a knee, go into the locker room, and try and regroup. Locksley is an all-time terrible coach

Pinehawk

Regina Douche
Reaction score
I mean the game was over at that point. A Hail Mary play at the end of the half didn’t set them up for failure
No, I agree it was a mistake. I think that meaningless pick broke his spirit. Wasn’t worth it.

FatNTired

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I mean the game was over at that point. A Hail Mary play at the end of the half didn’t set them up for failure
Correct, the game was over. But looking to next week and the second half it was unnecessary.

Reaction score
Phil Parker is waking up in the middle of the night right now and laughing maniacally

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
The only failure was if that’s all the arm he’s got then they were going to need another Hail Mary from where Roberts intercepted it to get it in the end zone.

Reaction score
Watched that entire Locksley video and I actually really like the dude. Ate the entire loss. Didn’t shy away from saying it was coaching. Good for him. Hope they fuck themselves from here on out.
The Anti-Frost

Last edited:

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
The defense had 6 interceptions the first 2 games and zero the last 2 games as those teams tended to only throw safe or far down the field.

Maryland is going to want to fire the ball all over. The secondary is due for a huge game and think they end up with 2 picks minimum.
Yep!

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
The nose of the football was on the ground.

The NOOOSE of the football was on the ground!

So that’s a fumble, that’s what you’re saying?

……Yeah.

Last edited:

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Leistikow has a really nice article today:

COLLEGE PARK, Md. — The term “special season” gets thrown around a lot when discussing the Iowa football program. There is always a hope for Hawkeye fans that this could be one of those years.

They’re hard to come by. But we have enough history in the Kirk Ferentz era to know special seasons do happen. And when they come around — 2002, 2009 and 2015 are at the top of the list — we can look back and pinpoint breakthrough moments along the journey.

As I think about each of those teams — the only three under Ferentz to make a New Year’s Six level bowl — it is always the road wins that stand out.

Most recently in 2015, the defining day in that 12-0 regular season occurred in Evanston, Illinois. Were the 6-0 Hawkeyes for real? A banged-up bunch answered with authority in a 40-10 rout of a 10-win Northwestern team that nobody saw coming.

Take your pick of three very-special road wins in 2009, but the 21-10 win at fifth-ranked Penn State has become unforgettable. Adrian Clayborn’s blocked-punt touchdown helped the Hawkeyes rally from a 10-0 deficit that rainy night in Happy Valley and reminded a fan base that it was OK to believe.

And then there was 2002. In my observance of the 23-year Ferentz era, there was no win that signaled the Hawkeyes’ arrival like the day of Oct. 26 in Ann Arbor, Michigan. That was when 7-1 Iowa went from a neat story to a national story. The Hawkeyes not only beat the eighth-ranked Wolverines, they annihilated them. By the time the 34-9 rout was complete, the Big House had become a party scene for the horde of Hawkeye fans that relished every second of the breakthrough win.

The Associated Press lead from that day read, “The Iowa Hawkeyes beat Michigan so badly that they were able to celebrate and sing with their fans in a mostly empty Michigan Stadium.”

I’m not saying this team is 2002-level — the gold standard of the Ferentz era — after five games. But what we witnessed Friday night at Maryland felt like that validating checkpoint that a special season is afoot. And, oh yes, there was fight-song singing between fans and players after this one, too.

Thought to be a tight game in prove-it spot in a prime-time national spotlight, the fifth-ranked Hawkeyes dismantled previously unbeaten Maryland, 51-14. They caused seven turnovers and committed none. They scored 31 points in the second quarter alone.

“A really good win for our team and a really important one,” Ferentz said. “I felt that all week long. Couldn’t be much prouder of our guys.”

The reward was a giant Hawkeye party for most of the second half, as the thousands of gold-clad fans who infiltrated the Terrapins’ “Blackout” attempt stayed until the clock read 0:00 at around Midnight ET … and beyond.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/columnists/chad-leistikow/2021/10/02/leistikow-kirk-ferentz-iowa-hawkeyes-maryland-terrapins-rout-umd/5919787001/

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
I'd like to know who the idiots were that predicted Iowa would lose.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
David Pollack refusing to give Iowa any credit for the win, already starting his “we can’t let them into the playoff,” campaign early this year.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
who are you talking to?