**Official Iowa vs. Maryland Football Thread - 7:00pm - FS1**

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
I know a guy who has a bomb sniffing dog that has to be in Iowa City at 4 AM to sniff stuff out in preparation for Gameday.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
It was a great game for Spencer in many ways. I have been very down on him, but you could just see his confidence grow and that is a good thing for future performance. I still think someone should slip him a xanax during each pregame.

HiG 2.0

DolphinAngerHawk
Reaction score
I still think someone should slip him a xanax during each pregame.
The way he came out cool and collected last night made me wonder if he smoked a joint before kickoff.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
Pollack takes the SEC to never give the Big Ten credit thing a bit too far. No one is saying that IOWA is at the level of Alabama and Georgia. Saying that IOWA is a good team does not take away from the greatness of Alabama and Georgia. If IOWA got beat by one of them also does not prove to the haters that they were pretenders all along either.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
Doug were you at the Smithsonian

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Guys, there were times last night where I felt like Spencer Petras could do anything he wanted to do out there.

I can't believe autocorrect just let me get away with that.
I felt, and this was shocking to me too, trust. I mean they were up by a shitton, and Maryland had quit, but that’s happened a bunch for him and he hasn’t looked as good as he did last night. I am hoping a trend is happening!

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Probably not much of a coincidence that Spencer had a clean pocket all night and he played his best ball of the season.

Reaction score
Rewatch thoughts:

For the most part the pass protection was excellent. Petras is just a different player when he has a clean pocket.

I'm sure Kirk doesn't want to do it, but Petras also seems much more comfortable when Iowa goes with a pass-first approach. Petras seems to get into a better rhythm and become more at ease when Iowa passes the ball at a higher rates.

Shudak is nails. His only miss was the bad snap against ISU.

Taylor didn't look like his usual self punting.

It was funny to see the players being hyperbolic on the sideline in their celebration with Bruce after his touchdown. I get the feeling Bruce is known on the team for being very rah-rah.

Speaking of freshmen receivers, is Brecht injured or just not as far along as the Bruce and Johnson?

Having a return guy like Charlie Jones makes such a big difference. I don’t know who the heir apparent is, but it would be great if they could bring in someone in this recruiting class with plus return abilities.

I saw somewhere else that Terry Roberts should be a special teams all-American. This needs to be a thing.

Iowa kicks your ass and then celebrates. So many other teams celebrate when they haven’t accomplished anything.

Goodson looked like Shonn Greene on that tight-space spin move.

Smart play by Petras to throw the ball in the direction of Laporta to emphasize the hold when they had their nose guard (????) trying to guard him.

Holy crap are we lucky VanValkenburg decided to come back.

Dick Vitale has his All-Airport Team. Whatever the opposite of that is, Iowa's defensive linemen would be on that team.

Petras was so much better at finding secondary receivers. He looked a lot more relaxed.

Of the top 6 defensive backs for Iowa, only 2 (Hankins and Belton) had P5 offers other than Iowa.

One of the "stories" of Iowa's recent success has to be the job they've done of replenishing the DL year after year. Losing so many DL to the NFL would have been a huge problem for past Hawkeye squads.

One of the most impressive things about all the picks is that they happened without the DL getting a lot of pressure or Parker blitzing a lot.

Castro is gonna be a player. He gets to the ball in a hurry.

Jack Plumb’s lack of development has been disappointing.

Nice route by Miamen. Even if LaPorta leaves after this season, Iowa should be fine at TE.

Leshon Williams hasn't had much of a chance to prove himself, but I think he's gonna be a player.

Did Gavin Williams get dinged? I was surprised he didn't see more action.

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
Listening to the Cover 3 Podcast, here's a stat they dropped: amongst power five conference teams, the only team that has a worse offensive success rate than Iowa is Kansas. Fucking Kansas! This isn't just "Iowa is up and playing keep away guys, it's all in the gameplan!" This offense has been an objective dumpster fire relative to its peers. It's been the blocking and the lack of vertical passing. The OL needs to get a lot better or the defense will continue to have zero margin for error.

The only argument in the favor of the offense would be, if your success rate is currently in the same ball park as Kansas, you can't get much worse.
What the fuck is a Cover 3 Podcast?

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score
Rewatch thoughts:

For the most part the pass protection was excellent. Petras is just a different player when he has a clean pocket.

I'm sure Kirk doesn't want to do it, but Petras also seems much more comfortable when Iowa goes with a pass-first approach. Petras seems to get into a better rhythm and become more at ease when Iowa passes the ball at a higher rates.

It was funny to see the players being hyperbolic on the sideline in their celebration with Bruce after his touchdown. I get the feeling Bruce is known on the team for being very rah-rah.

Speaking of freshmen receivers, is Brecht injured or just not as far along as the Bruce and Johnson?

Having a return guy like Charlie Jones makes such a big difference. I don’t know who the heir apparent is, but it would be great if they could bring in someone in this recruiting class with plus return abilities.

I saw somewhere else that Terry Roberts should be a special teams all-American. This needs to be a thing.

Iowa kicks your ass and then celebrates. So many other teams celebrate when they haven’t accomplished anything.

Smart play by Petras to throw the ball in the direction of Laporta to emphasize the hold when they had their nose guard (????) trying to guard him.

Dick Vitale has his All-Airport Team. Whatever the opposite of that is, Iowa's defensive linemen would be on that team.

Petras was so much better at finding secondary receivers. He looked a lot more relaxed.

Of the top 6 defensive backs for Iowa, only 2 (Hankins and Belton) had P5 offers other than Iowa.

One of the "stories" of Iowa's recent success has to be the job they've done of replenishing the DL year after year. Losing so many DL to the NFL would have been a huge problem for past Hawkeye squads.

One of the most impressive things about all the picks is that they happened without the DL getting a lot of pressure or Parker blitzing a lot.

Nice route by Miamen. Even if LaPorta leaves after this season, Iowa should be fine at TE.

Leshon Williams hasn't had much of a chance to prove himself, but I think he's gonna be a player.

iowa4ever20

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Not surprisingly, he’s catching a lot of shit on Twitter. Guess the offenses have been down in CFB for two decades.

I’m not a fan of Pollack but I heard what he said and that is twisting his words. He said the top offenses are down this year (Oklahoma, Clemson, etc) so a team that usually doesn’t have great offense but has a strong defense like Iowa has a chance. He did not say Iowa did not have a good defense which is what David’s tweet would suggest.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Rewatch thoughts:

Feels like LaPorta has been inconsistent with his pass catching and blocking this year. I'd be very surprised if he's not back.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Taulia and his OC's realization of how an offense is supposed to work after last night's game - and Penix/IU & Purdy/ISU after those games....