**Official Iowa vs. Maryland Football Thread - 7:00pm - FS1**

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
This is sort of random, and I’ve been to away games at Minnesota, Ohio state, Michigan…but why do people like going to away games? I saw two wins and a loss, and Minnesota, and Michigan were all pretty awesome wins, and Ohio State was a pretty ho hum loss. But all the experiences were worse than those teams at Kinnick. It would need to fit perfectly with an already planned trip to somewhere like Rutgers and Maryland. But I don’t understand why people would plan a trip with the game being the central point. I did that in my experiences and it was pretty dumb.

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
This is sort of random, and I’ve been to away games at Minnesota, Ohio state, Michigan…but why do people like going to away games? I saw two wins and a loss, and Minnesota, and Michigan were all pretty awesome wins, and Ohio State was a pretty ho hum loss. But all the experiences were worse than those teams at Kinnick. It would need to fit perfectly with an already planned trip to somewhere like Rutgers and Maryland. But I don’t understand why people would plan a trip with the game being the central point. I did that in my experiences and it was pretty dumb.
I've done a few road trips with buddies to Madison, Ann Arbor, and Indianapolis to see away games and I regret nothing. I did go with my old man to Ames and I really do regret that.

Alan Lomax

Reaction score
I've done a few road trips with buddies to Madison, Ann Arbor, and Indianapolis to see away games and I regret nothing. I did go with my old man to Ames and I really do regret that.
Yeah, I’m underrating the “guy time” on those trips. They were either premarriage or prekids. So yeah, duh, we could do whatever whenever. Now would be a different thing lol…I’m an idiot for not thinking of that sooner.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I like to drink heavily and watch football with my college friends so revolving around a game works pretty fucking great

Reaction score
Taulia and his OC's realization of how an offense is supposed to work after last night's game - and Penix/IU & Purdy/ISU after those games....

He appeared to have never seen a zone defense before. The Belton pick in particular blew his mind.

2HawkFans

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I've only done a couple road games. One was ISU when Tate knocked himself out of the game early. That one sucked. Wind swirling in the stadium was blowing shit up into my eyes. Shitters in the parking lot were full before the game even started. Said I'd never go back to Ames. The other was Minnesota in 2002. I'd do that one again in a heartbeat. More Iowa fans than Minnesota, and then the roses and party afterwards. Watching fans try and take the goalpost home was comical.

Been to Illinios twice. Shitty stadium but travel and time with friends was good. Did one trip as a bus trip. Drinking all the way there, watch game, and celebrate all the way home.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Rewatch thoughts:

For the most part the pass protection was excellent. Petras is just a different player when he has a clean pocket.

I'm sure Kirk doesn't want to do it, but Petras also seems much more comfortable when Iowa goes with a pass-first approach. Petras seems to get into a better rhythm and become more at ease when Iowa passes the ball at a higher rates.

Shudak is nails. His only miss was the bad snap against ISU.

Taylor didn't look like his usual self punting.

It was funny to see the players being hyperbolic on the sideline in their celebration with Bruce after his touchdown. I get the feeling Bruce is known on the team for being very rah-rah.

Speaking of freshmen receivers, is Brecht injured or just not as far along as the Bruce and Johnson?

Having a return guy like Charlie Jones makes such a big difference. I don’t know who the heir apparent is, but it would be great if they could bring in someone in this recruiting class with plus return abilities.

I saw somewhere else that Terry Roberts should be a special teams all-American. This needs to be a thing.

Iowa kicks your ass and then celebrates. So many other teams celebrate when they haven’t accomplished anything.

Goodson looked like Shonn Greene on that tight-space spin move.

Smart play by Petras to throw the ball in the direction of Laporta to emphasize the hold when they had their nose guard (????) trying to guard him.

Holy crap are we lucky VanValkenburg decided to come back.

Dick Vitale has his All-Airport Team. Whatever the opposite of that is, Iowa's defensive linemen would be on that team.

Petras was so much better at finding secondary receivers. He looked a lot more relaxed.

Of the top 6 defensive backs for Iowa, only 2 (Hankins and Belton) had P5 offers other than Iowa.

One of the "stories" of Iowa's recent success has to be the job they've done of replenishing the DL year after year. Losing so many DL to the NFL would have been a huge problem for past Hawkeye squads.

One of the most impressive things about all the picks is that they happened without the DL getting a lot of pressure or Parker blitzing a lot.

Castro is gonna be a player. He gets to the ball in a hurry.

Jack Plumb’s lack of development has been disappointing.

Nice route by Miamen. Even if LaPorta leaves after this season, Iowa should be fine at TE.

Leshon Williams hasn't had much of a chance to prove himself, but I think he's gonna be a player.

Did Gavin Williams get dinged? I was surprised he didn't see more action.
Re: the Charlie Jones replacement; albeit not for next year, but how about little brother Luke?

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Road trips are great. I grew up close to iowa city and went to iowa so I know the whole iowa game day vibe. I like experiencing other schools/cities version of game day experience including night before: it’s fun for me

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
When I was in college and grad school, away games with your buddies was great and some of my best memories from school. As a parent with young kids, road trips to West Lafayette, Bloomington, etc., don’t seem worth the effort. But I understand going to big cities (like Maryland, Minnesota, Rutgers, etc.) which offer more than just the game day experience. I also imagine once we’re empty-nesters, we’ll be doing more road trips to those places, particularly when we start playing the Alliance games which offer something completely new with coastal cities.

Last edited:

The Tin Man

Reaction score
When I was in college and grad school, away games with your buddies was great and some of my best memories from school. As a parent with young kids, road trips to West Lafayette, Bloomington, etc., don’t seem worth the effort. But I understand going to big cities (like Maryland, Minnesota, Rutgers, etc.) which offer more than just the game day experience. I also imagine once we’re empty-nesters, we’ll be doing more road trips to those places, particularly when we start playing the Alliance games which offer something completely new to coastal cities.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I've been as hard on Petras as anyone, but respect where respect is due. He was downright good against Maryland, and possibly very good.

This is around when he started to figure it out last year in Game 5. If he can even be remotely this good going forward, look out.

Penn State will be the ultimate test.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
I've been as hard on Petras as anyone, but respect where respect is due. He was downright good against Maryland, and possibly very good.

This is around when he started to figure it out last year in Game 5. If he can even be remotely this good going forward, look out.

Penn State will be the ultimate test.
*Georgia, Alabama

HawkeyeJonesEsq

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Had a good trip. Game was a blast obviously. Don’t think I need to ever go back there though.
But for the announcement in the 4th that the last train was in 45 minutes, I thought it was one of the easiest road games to get to, maybe Northwestern is easier for same reason.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Lachey driving/pancaking the safety 5 yards out of bounds was nice.

We throw a slant every 3 years and Tracy fucking dropped it. Put in Ritter!

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
Goodson once beat his father in a foot race at the mall. Not sure if you fuckers knew that.
Dumbest anecdote ever. I beat my dad in plenty of footraces, and didn't contact the register once.

Alan Lomax

Reaction score
Spencer Tillman name drops random 80s running backs like he’s Rainman.

Definitely time for Keith Byars….
It's like he does nothing but play Tecmo Bowl. He let us know about Dave Meggett. Tim Brando doesn't seem to know what is going on a few times a game, like he just strokes out.

The Dad

Reaction score
Watching it a couple times, I’m not sure Keegan Johnson held on LaPorta’s TD. He is engaged and driving his feet as soon as the ball goes in the air and the DB just fucking falls down like a pussy.

Brett Bender, and his dad Gary back in Phoenix, can go fuck themselves.

Last edited:

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Shawnee would make the perfect Big Ten commissioner

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
I forgot about that. Grown man tantrum.

The Dad

Reaction score
If we knew we were going to kick the FG before half, which we seemed to as Shudak immediately trotted out there, why the fuck did we call timeout with 25 sec on the play clock?