**Official Iowa vs. Michigan Football Thread - 11am - FOX**

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
There's safety help here but shaded to the bottom half of the field. If Nate decides quickly, good things. Instead it's a sack
There's a linebacker standing on the 50 yard line that is going to beat Nate to wherever he decides to run with every blocker already blocking someone. That's a Michigan linebacker, they have talent.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
There's safety help here but shaded to the bottom half of the field. If Nate decides quickly, good things. Instead it's a sack
There's a linebacker standing on the 50 yard line that is going to beat Nate to wherever he decides to run with every blocker already blocking someone. That's a Michigan linebacker, they have talent.
Sorry. He should have thrown that ball. There's no where to run there, obviously. Just pointing out a missed play.

The Tin Man

Reaction score
The running game hasn’t been all that impressive for a couple years now. Wadley not being around anymore hurts, but I think it is more than that.

I’m not sure if it’s Brian’s play calling, or Polashek’s OL coaching, or bad recruiting on the OL, injuries, or slow RBs, or a combination of everything.

Some of the formations and play calling have me scratching my head. Where is the power running, and the counters, and even zone? We are getting too cute in my opinion with zone read stuff that is not going to work that well if Stanley or the coaches aren’t willing to let him keep it once in awhile. And this new bunch formation where the TE comes in motion and stops directly in front of the offset RB in shotgun is garbage. It bottlenecks everything and let’s the defense load the box.

I know the OL has been battling injuries, but I’m not sure it would matter. I know that all the pundits and gurus say that Jackson and Wirfs are pro material, but other than measurables, I just don’t see it. Don’t get me wrong they’ll get drafted, but they don’t impress me like previous highly drafted Iowa offensive linemen have. They seem soft and slow. And the guards other than Schott are soft too. Linderbaum has played pretty well and has great potential.

It doesn’t help that our RBs are slow as well. They like to dance looking for a hole instead of running downhill. The bright spot in this whole running game mess might be Goodson. He is the real deal and needs to get more touches. Much like Wadley he is a playmaker, and at Iowa that has been rare. He should be starting and the coaching staff should be getting him the ball in space as many chances as they can get.

As for the game today, pass protection was even horrible. The coaches inability to fix schemes to pick up blitzes in the pass game is crazy. Michigan burned us multiple times by faking a blitz by two players on the left side and then dropping them in coverage while they overloaded the right side with a delayed blitz from the right side LB. Stanley didn’t look all that great at times, but he was given no time to throw.

Penalties and lack thereof were killers today too. A lot of undisciplined play by Iowa and some missed pass interference calls on Michigan’s mauling DBs.

The defense played great and did enough to win the game. Koerner is playing better than I expected, and even DJ was in pretty good position on the deep throw he gave up. Holding Michigan to 10 points, 3 of which were on a short field after a turnover, is admirable.

All in all I think the defense is pretty good, but this team will only go as far as the offense will take them.

/fwiw, peace

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
The offensive line performance on the second to last possession is probably the most embarrassing thing I've seen since that retard in the Tennessee bowl game pointing at the ball he "saved" from going out of bounds.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
How many points does the Iowa offense score in Madison? I'll go out on a limb and predict not enough.

Reaction score
Nate is who he is. He's no CJ.Beathard. 9 wins is this teams ceiling. Which isn't terrible. We aren't winning next week and Nate isn't going in to Madison and winning. Gotta beat everyone else to get to a good bowl.
This is a typical Iowa team, good enough to win 8 maybe 9 games. They like to tease us with an occasional great season.
Michigan fans were saying the same thing after the loss to Wisconsin. This team has a chance to improve and get better. This will be one of the better defenses we’ll face all year and they came to play today. Penn State and Wisconsin may be even better defensively, so I’m hoping we get our blitz issues figured out.

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
The offensive line performance on the second to last possession is probably the most embarrassing thing I've seen since that retard in the Tennessee bowl game pointing at the ball he "saved" from going out of bounds.
At that point I was at a bar that didn’t have the volume on. It was almost comical. Almost. Also, some of those holding calls appeared borderline.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The only holding call I took issue with, is one where a guard got his ass driven into the ground. The DT basically drilled him into a hole then fell over him, no hold.

CamelTones

Reaction score
The holding call on Paulson where the Michigan tackle bull rushed him and he fell down was one of the oddest hold calls I've seen. I'm sure from behind it looked like Paulson pulled him down, but he just had his hand on his chest as they both fell.

Reaction score
Stylistically it wasn't anything like it but results wise this was bend but don't break. Our drive summary:
-1 play fumble
-4 plays, 17 yards, 1 first down, punt.
-3 and out, -2 yards, punt.
-2 plays, 4 yards, INT.
-14 plays, 61 yards to the UM 4, FG.
-9 plays, 38 yards, punt. Got to the UM 30 before going backwards after 2nd and 7.
-5 plays, 19 yards, INT. Got to the UM 33 before the INT.

2nd half:
-8 plays, 39 yards, INT at UM 36 on 4th down. Had 3rd and 3 at 36, sailed the flat ball to Mekhi with pressure, good pick by them on 4th.
-5 plays, 5 yards, punt. Picked up a 1st down and 15 yards before a hold and couple no gains stopped us.
-4 plays, 28 yards, punt. Gained 32 yards to the UM 35 before sack and incompletion killed it.
-4 plays, 7 yards, punt. Gained 18 yards plus a penalty to get to the 48 before 2 sacks.
-6 plays, 16 yards, punt. Gained 42 yards on 3 plays to get to the UM 25 before 2 penalties. Then gained 11 on two plays before a false start and sack that lost 11.
-9 plays, 12 yards. Gained 11 yards and 1st down to the UM 44 before 3 incompletions and a loss of 1 on last play.

Reaction score
The running game hasn’t been all that impressive for a couple years now. Wadley not being around anymore hurts, but I think it is more than that.

I’m not sure if it’s Brian’s play calling, or Polashek’s OL coaching, or bad recruiting on the OL, injuries, or slow RBs, or a combination of everything.

Some of the formations and play calling have me scratching my head. Where is the power running, and the counters, and even zone? We are getting too cute in my opinion with zone read stuff that is not going to work that well if Stanley or the coaches aren’t willing to let him keep it once in awhile. And this new bunch formation where the TE comes in motion and stops directly in front of the offset RB in shotgun is garbage. It bottlenecks everything and let’s the defense load the box.

I know the OL has been battling injuries, but I’m not sure it would matter. I know that all the pundits and gurus say that Jackson and Wirfs are pro material, but other than measurables, I just don’t see it. Don’t get me wrong they’ll get drafted, but they don’t impress me like previous highly drafted Iowa offensive linemen have. They seem soft and slow. And the guards other than Schott are soft too. Linderbaum has played pretty well and has great potential.

It doesn’t help that our RBs are slow as well. They like to dance looking for a hole instead of running downhill. The bright spot in this whole running game mess might be Goodson. He is the real deal and needs to get more touches. Much like Wadley he is a playmaker, and at Iowa that has been rare. He should be starting and the coaching staff should be getting him the ball in space as many chances as they can get.
This is an overreaction to today. Not sure what the hell you're talking about with the first paragraph. What zone read do you think we're running? Also not sure why you think we haven't run power or zone runs. It's been the same as always, just out of different formations mainly. When the TE motions into the spot you're talking about, he's basically just replacing our FB. We're running the same shit.

If you haven't been impressed by Wirfs or call him soft and slow, I'm not sure what the fuck you're watching. He's a stud. Jackson basically played his 1st game today coming off injury. Goodson isn't slow and Sargent isn't slow.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Wisconsin runs at will all over Michigan. Iowa runs for next to nothing. That has to change for Iowa to ever win the division

OlePeep

The Conductor
Reaction score
I will also add that Nate had MANY opportunities to tuck it and run. Many times to put us in a more manageable position. For as well as they schemed for that in the Iowa State game, it was extremely disappointing that Nate didn't take advantage on this game.
This was my takeaway. It was as if the thought never occurred to him

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Once again happy I never reorganize my Saturdays for Iowa football.

If I'm home not doing anything, I'll watch. But I'm not putting my life on hold to see Zach Derby lined up wide.

Reaction score
Wisconsin runs at will all over Michigan. Iowa runs for next to nothing. That has to change for Iowa to ever win the division
Wisconsin is much better running than us and has been for a long time. Also worth noting though how different they've been home and away. Entering today:
2016- 8-0 at home, 2-2 on road.
2017- 5-2 at home, 2-2 on road.
2018- 7-0 at home, 3-2 on road.
2019- 3-0 at home, 0-1 on road.

23-2 at home, 7-7 on road.
*Been boozing, could have made an error.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Wisconsin is much better running than us and has been for a long time. Also worth noting though how different they've been home and away. Entering today:

wisconsin is undefeated this year

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Once again happy I never reorganize my Saturdays for Iowa football.

If I'm home not doing anything, I'll watch. But I'm not putting my life on hold to see Zach Derby lined up wide.
Ehhh even in a frustrating as fuck loss, Iowa football Saturdays are still fucking awesome.

Reaction score

wisconsin is undefeated this year
I'm aware. Those are Michigan results. Michigan played at Wisconsin. For four years, Michigan has been great at home, average at best on the road. They played Iowa at home. Played at Wisconsin.

CamelTones

Reaction score
What happened in the Michigan-Wisconsin game and the Iowa-Michigan games has nothing to do with what is going to happen in the Iowa-Wisconsin game. Michigan scored 14 on Wisconsin so I guess Iowa's defense is better than Wisconsins?

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Still +1 in expected win total, but the upset special hopes vs PSU are looking weaker. The offense will look like this in Madison and Evanston; will need to steal one from Pat. Minnesota is the key; don't stumble in that one and it's a battle in Lincoln for 8-4.
Fuck you.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
What happened in the Michigan-Wisconsin game and the Iowa-Michigan games has nothing to do with what is going to happen in the Iowa-Wisconsin game. Michigan scored 14 on Wisconsin so I guess Iowa's defense is better than Wisconsins?
While true, I’m peppering my angus for a buttfucking in Madison.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Iowa had better success when they did the power run game rather than the zone blocking scheme. The power game is how Wisconsin destroyed Michigan and I wish Brian had used it more.

Pretty much everything else I think about this game has already been said, but not having a TE who could camp out in the space vacated by the blitzing LB every play was a big deal.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
The lack of defensive holding and pass interference calls on Michigan was upsetting

CamelTones

Reaction score
When Stanley completed that pass to Goodson with his left hand and Linderbaum out in front I thought he had nothing but green grass.

JD720

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
When Stanley completed that pass to Goodson with his left hand and Linderbaum out in front I thought he had nothing but green grass.
It looked good until I realized Stanley backpedaled 40 yards.

CamelTones

Reaction score
It looked good until I realized Stanley backpedaled 40 yards.
He got to the blue line and I was yelling 'Stretch!' then I realized it's not physically possible to stretch 11 yards.

Renegade_ofFunk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
That game was the biggest proverbial blue balls ever. Up until about 8 minutes left in the 4th (I think) I legitimately thought Iowa was going to win the game 13-10, everyone bitches about the O-Line and play calling but is happy to beat a desperate, ranked team on the road. 5-0 and on to Penn St. The result sucked because Michigan isn’t good and I do think Iowa is better.

Hopefully someone asks next week why they abandoned the power run. The receivers were getting mauled at the snap making the quick passing game really difficult and pressure up the middle took care of the rest. Nate is who he is. You probably can’t put the game on his shoulders, especially if you can’t protect him.

On the plus side Goodson is going to be really good and the safeties played really well.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Fowler just said Iowa-Penn State is on ABC next week.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Having a running back that can line up wide and run a go route is a nice thing to have.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Overall, I'm glad I had to work today instead of having to watch this turd

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
lack of draws, rb and wr screens was puzzling. The first wr screen was late 3rd or 4th qtr.

if we score 3 points on the road with a 3rd year starting qb..whats next year looking like?

CamelTones

Reaction score
They won't score a single point on the road next year. Might as well save the fuel and environment.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
lack of draws, rb and wr screens was puzzling. The first wr screen was late 3rd or 4th qtr.

if we score 3 points on the road with a 3rd year starting qb..whats next year looking like?
Obviously worst case scenario. Might as well mail it in.

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
They won't score a single point on the road next year. Might as well save the fuel and environment.
I’m pissed about today too but I implore you to calm the fuck down. This was shitty but come on.

HoundedHawk

STILL LURKS BUT DELETED ALL OF HIS CONTENT
Reaction score

Last edited: